Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in

[...]

I need to remember these tips. I have to go to the grocery store today. We are out of just about everything. Any type of store is so hard for me to deal with.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [ho...]

• [Ro...]

• [es...]

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
You know what I find helps with anxiety not to mention it is so much fun too?  Coloring! :).  Nothing like a nice picture and a nice set of kids markers to help out.  I take it to work with me daily because not only does it help with anxiety it also helps with the boredom too and keeps your mind occupied.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is great information!  Thanks for doing that Bumpity bump bump, Beeper!  Please keep it easily available for the new folks!

Lily

:)

• 3 months later...
Found this thread because of Beeper, wanted to bump it up for current members.  I had already put some of these into practice.. like the warm milk and breathing.  Need to work on the self-assurance methods more tho.

[48...]

These are some very helpful tips. I would keep bumping it up.

The Panic attacks, they are bad..but they can't kill you.. though they feel like they can.

Good info this guy has to offer.

S#

[a1...]

Taking your advice, Sigma, and bumping it back up. This was some wonderful advice! Thanks for posting it.

This is me at Day 27:  :o

Omg! this helped  me soooo much!!

i usually just think what is happening to me? when i have a panic attack, and it ALWAYS makes it worst... but now i know alot of things to help me. thnx a lot :)

- Lis ♥

[c4...]

Hi - I have a method that my therapist gave me....seems to work (at least when I'm not so panicked that i forget to use it..lol)

Here are the steps during an anxious episode (you do them simultaneously):

1.curl all ten toes downward into shoe or on floor

2. turn palms upward

3. gently place tongue between teeth

4. turn your head to either left or right and hold to that side

5. breath your deep breaths

6. envision a relaxing thought

Usually within 4 breaths or so I can get a yawn out which means I've broken the anxiety....yawning is a good sign if you're panicking

[c4...]
You're welcome  :) It's a good practice just to throw in it throughout the day, anxiety or not...it feels like a bit of a reset button. Some days it sticks longer than others....but it's a little bit of something.

• 3 weeks later...

CLEMENTINE!

I TRIED THAT AND IT WORKED!  ON THE THIRD BREATHE, TWICE IN A ROW, I YAWNED!  HOW AMAZIMG!  :thumbsup:

THANKS!

LILY

A FEW WEEKS AGO I SAW A POST BY OPTIMIST ABOUT A WAY OF DEALING WITH ANXIETY.  IT HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL TO ME AND I THOUGHT I WOULD ADD THE VIDEO ADDRESS HERE FOR OTHERS TO SEE: 

I HOPE THIS MAY REACH MORE PEOPLE HERE!  :)

LILY

(SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS TYPING!  IT'S ONE HANDED RIGHT NOW!)

[c4...]
Hi Lily - so glad it worked for you  :) I love this one....I learned that when you yawn you can't rev. And this seems to get a yawn out of folks  ;) Thanks for trying it!

Hi - I have a method that my therapist gave me....seems to work (at least when I'm not so panicked that i forget to use it..lol)

Here are the steps during an anxious episode (you do them simultaneously):

1.curl all ten toes downward into shoe or on floor

2. turn palms upward

3. gently place tongue between teeth

4. turn your head to either left or right and hold to that side

5. breath your deep breaths

6. envision a relaxing thought

Usually within 4 breaths or so I can get a yawn out which means I've broken the anxiety....yawning is a good sign if you're panicking

I will try that, thank you so much! I hope it helps also against the thing that sits in my chest and tickles my insides and makes me feel like i have to explode soon or start screeming...