Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in

[...]

The information in this link does work for panic attacks. I wish someone had taught it to me 20 years ago and again in Sept. when they started again. An increase in meds didn't help. But this works. I was having them in the middle of the night and by doing this, I've been able to go back to sleep.

Secondary fear is what keeps the chemicals flowing. Again, something I wish I'd known years ago but am thankful to know now.

If able search Claire Weekes. You'll find her videos on YouTube. They are from the 60s. But what she taught and used in her clinics is still helping tons of people. Again, I wish I'd had her book a long time ago. But I still apply what I can.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [ho...]

• [Ro...]

• [es...]

11. If you "act" calm, you will be calm. Imitate the body language of a relaxed person and you will take on that feeling within minutes.

author unknown

Thats my favorite! It really works! I found that funny first :)

Thank you for this text!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a bookmark  :)

Here we both are, up in the middle of the night again!

:laugh:

Yup! It's really gotten to be a habit! You surprised me!  :laugh:

• 2 months later...

Jeff!

Thank you for this. I have been titrating down from 1.25. I am now at .75 and the drop is getting so much harder. I was dropping between 2 - 5ml a day but am now holding and then resuming at 2ml. Too much panic making functioning very difficult.

Reading this really helped me today get ready to teach two classes.

: )

• 3 weeks later...
I am a 44 year old supposedly 'grown man' but inside I just feel like a scared 5 year old little boy. Does anyone else feel like this? I am scared of EVERYTHING and its ruining my life. Sick of it.

I am a 44 year old supposedly 'grown man' but inside I just feel like a scared 5 year old little boy. Does anyone else feel like this? I am scared of EVERYTHING and its ruining my life. Sick of it.

totally  normal - will get better. I have grown from a baby to a mature woman in the last 5 years. Spooky but it happened. Hang on, buddy!

Jeff many thanks for your first post on this! Great tips and advice.I have copied and pasted it to word pad on my pc.

Best regards,

hopefulscot.

• 1 month later...
Got another one. Get a pillow and punch it to absolute death, shout scream swear until you are physically unable to do it anymore!  Bet it helps!!      :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Trying the acting calm and imitating the body language of a relaxed person suggestions.  May try laying on a beach towel, putting on some suntan lotion and listening to some Hawaiian music...fingers crossed.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I didn't read all the replies, but I suffer from panic attacks while driving. I have found that carrying a small cooler with ice cold rags  really helps. I put a cold rag all around my face and it calms me and stops panic dead in its tracks, something about the vagus nerve. Try it, it works!

• 3 months later...

I had to take Diazepam for 20 years, as in my ex-country it was the sole medication for my light variant of epilepsy. Now, I am taking a proper drag and I have entered tapering program.

What I would like to say is that , yes, I am getting anxiety attacks, for which advices from Jeff are so welcome. But, when I get epi fears, then I have to capitulate ...... These are setbacks. Last one happened less then one month ago.

A cup of hot tea (ginger, peppermint, chamomile are my preferences) helps with the stomach/digestive issues that happen for some of us during/after a panic attack. Also takes your mind away from the panic. I also take L-Theanine. I really calms me down. B-complex supplements help too, but i hear that it doesn't work for some people.

When panic hits i can't leave my room. I"ve tried to go walk around but i feel so disconnected/disoriented that it doesn't work. Turning on netflix or something and letting yourself fall asleep works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

My therapist, who is somewhat benzo-savvy, gave me some tips for panic attacks. Drink ice cold water and hold ice cubes in the palms of your hands. This helps stimulate the vagus nerve and slows panic. It helps somewhat. Then I walk around for a while. Also, focus on an object and look at it without thinking of anything but the object. Also, stroke something soft and/or something rough.

MirandaJane

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the list of tricks, but when I am under a panic attack I cannot breathe (I breathe only from ''upper chest''). And that is the most scary part of a panic attack. As if I have asthma but I was never diagnosed to have asthma. I feel like im dying to be frank. And then a surge of both panic and innability to breathe. I have to remind myself that im having a psychological syndrome and that the power is in my brain and way of thinking. Indeed if I can focus on something for 1 minute I am relieved  but then I go back to the panic state.

I have found yet a way to manage my panic attacks without benzos but I know that I am likely to get one when I drive the car for a long hour trip, when I feel claustophobic, when I have to wait in queue at supermarket, when I am in a place full of noise and bright lights, and when the air outside is too humid (I feel as if there is no oxygen to breathe in). Also I get panic attack whenever I feel hopeless and depressed about my future. Having positive thoughts even my forcing myself to act happy and fake happyness I find a little bit of a break from the doom.... Its acting happy but it works apparently. Funny.

As I said, what is scaring me is that so far the only way out of a panic attack is to take a benzo pill :(