Author Topic: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in  (Read 97164 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2013, 03:11:06 pm »
This is great advice. I use all of the techniques and it is empowering to have them in your tool box.
Thank you for sharing them.  :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2013, 04:13:14 am »
These were in my tool box, too, [...] and you nailed it about feeling empowered.  So glad you found them helpful, too.  ;)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2013, 04:39:28 pm »
"3. Breath breath breath, Concentrate on breathing from your diaphragm, not your upper chest."

This is not easy for me. Just yesterday I had an quasi-anxiety attack and I was thinking too much about my breathing, believing that if I could not control it could stop. I was breathing and suddenly tooking a deep breath consciously,  this action was tooking me away from the sleepiness when I started to fall asleep each time.  :(

[Buddie]

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2013, 12:16:37 pm »
Great tips in a concise form! I have been learning these the hard way, so copied and pasted the list for easy use. Thanks very-

[Buddie]

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2014, 05:59:31 am »
 ;)

[Buddie]

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2014, 06:53:43 pm »

Does it have to be warm milk specifically? I am allergic to milk. I do like a nice cup of hot, decaf, green tea when I'm anxious though.

Try Melissa tea, it works wonders with me. 2 infusions before going to bed. If I feel anxious during the day, another one is enough for now.

Keep it up!

[Buddie]

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2014, 07:01:21 pm »
When I began tapering my first 0.25 mg of Alprazolam, I had like zillions thoughts fighting in my head. The responsibility of the cosmos was on my shoulders... so I needed some sort of help with that.

Got a book about Meditation. Thing is that I'm an atheist, & it doesn't cool me down to say things to god. So I had to come up with sentences like 'The plasticity of the brain', 'I'm potential' & verses of my favourite poets.

But in this Meditation book I found something really funny. Keeping away the monkey!

The writer compares undesired thoughts to really bothering monkeys. So you just have to tell them to get away. At the beginning I was all the time thinking 'Monkey out',  ;D, but days later I was ok. It coincides with peaks of anxiety that I've placed at certain hours & certain days.

I think that this method is also used by behaviourist psycho-therapists. It's effective. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2014, 03:04:35 am »
[...],
Thanks on the sharing your tips on dealing with panic attacks. I started out taking 1mg of Clonazepam at night and .50 mg during the day 3 years ago after my 21 year old son passed while away at college. Now I'm taking .25mg before bed and also during the day. I'm also taking 100 mg of Amitriptyline for depression. Over last 2 weeks, I've started to have panic/anxiety attacks during the day while at work. As a Sales Manager, I travel a lot and interact frequently with clients. At a product testing session with one of my largest customers, the session was not going well and the competitive product was performing better than the product that I represent. All of a sudden I had panic attack and felt that I was loosing control of the session. I excused myself from the group, and walked over to a different part of the plant and focused on calming myself down with deep breathing exercises and positive thinking and it worked. Today, I was getting ready for a Webinar to train one of my peers on a new sales reporting tool and had another panic attack. Before the call, I found myself multi-tasking along with prepping for the Webinar and felt overwhelmed. I left the house and went for a walk to calm myself down and it also worked. How long can I expect to have these panic/anxiety attacks while tapering?

[Buddie]

« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2014, 05:14:22 am »
my problem is when this happens at night when im [...] to sleep what do i do?

[Buddie]

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2014, 08:12:22 am »
It's easier than you think. This may sound crazy but it is for real. Cut MSG (mono sodium glutamate) out of your diet. This is known to cause anxiety. Eat lots of raw spinach. I know it doesn't sound real but it is. Here is why...it is high in the amino acid L-glutamine which raises the GABA levels in the brain. The GABA is what clings to the receptors and opens and releases chloride that calms the body. People who have low GABA are known to be restless and have anxiety. I was addicted to Ativan for 10 years. I was withdrawing for two. When. I changed my diet, I noticed a drastic change for the better. I ate two bowls of raw spinach a day. I slept good and felt calm all the time.