Author Topic: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in  (Read 99954 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets inMind Body Scan
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 08:59:08 pm »
Two hours sleep, benzobrain and am computer-illiterate but......I do believe the Mind/Body scan is on this BB site. Try searching for it. Or just type it into your regular  search engine and it will come up. Its also on YouTube. I just dont know how to attach stuff like this and am too exhausted and numb to attempt.
i apologize...............................
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:16 pm »
aw gee, now my face is red. Someone just posted  the MindBody scan.
And Wilson, my deaf cat, just jumped on the printer and now its spewing out.....who knows? I think he's jealous of this computer.  :-[ :-[
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2012, 11:08:10 pm »
Thank you [...].  Driving, walmart . AGRAPHOBIA BIG TIME. I wrote down your cálm down plan with my own thoughts lfalse, tricky TEMPORARY BRAIN CHEMISTRY.  Sunglasses I must.  I forget to use. A visor too could help.  FEAR TO DRIVE ANY DISTANCE.  [...] THIS POSTS. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2013, 01:35:48 am »
Soooo helpful, i need to distact so i don't get gobbled up!!! thanks.

[Buddie]

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2013, 02:23:27 pm »
Thank you, [...]. I really needed this guidance. :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2013, 11:05:53 pm »
Green tea isn't a wise choice when wanting to calm down, because it contains caffeine.  It could make you more jittery and increase anxiety.

[...] that helps.

[Buddie]

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2013, 01:10:15 am »
A lifetime of dealing with a congenital heart defect that causes bouts of arrhythmia with shortness of breath — and 40 years off and on benzos — have taught me a lot about anxiety and panic attacks and the most amazing thing I finally learned, and this only within the last few years, is that I can actually diminish and even prevent the panic attacks BEFORE they happen!

Daily practice of meditation and visualization combined with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and mindfulness practice have nearly negated all my panic attacks, which were once so severe I could not leave the house or even stay home by myself. Now, I rarely have feelings of panic at all — even though right now I am on a benzo taper. Having tools to deal with panic attacks is so important and helpful in the short term, but working long term to change my body and mind so that I have much less anxiety and hardly any panic attacks has been even better!

Not all programs are created equally and everyone is an individual so the right fit is important and these are not right for everybody, but the following worked WONDERS for me:

My absolute, top-rated, number one recommendation is, Anxiety Relief, an Audio Program by Martin Rossman — 3 meditations and 2 guided imagery sessions that just about saved my sanity. Within a few days I was noticing less panicky feelings and within a month my panic attacks had been cut nearly in half and now I rarely have a panic attack at all, though I still listen on a regular basis. Available at Amazon and itunes and for free on some Library On-Line lending programs. It's relatively inexpensive, it's fast and easy, it's kind of fun, it feels good and it really works for me.

The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions by Christopher K. Germer, teaches you to turn toward your panicky feelings and "embrace" them with compassion. NOT something I thought was even remotely a good idea so I really resisted this, but the book was pushed on me and it turned out to be truly helpful for facing my fears (like my fear of panic attacks!) and moving through them, which also eventually led to far fewer panic attacks. Not a book for the faint of heart and probably best if done with a support person or therapist since the goal of the book is to get to you deal with scary, sad, uncomfortable stuff in an effort to learn to live with it so your life is not disrupted. There were other things I liked about this book, too.

Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat Zinn — a mindfulness program for people with chronic illness in book form that is rather long, but takes you where you need to go if you can stick it out. Goes deeper into everyday life skills and takes more time and commitment, but reading the book and following the steps took away much of my panic over a period of about 3 months.

[Buddie]

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2013, 05:50:39 am »
When I feel anxious it's extremely hard for me to sit still in a bathtub .

[Buddie]

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:33 pm »
[...],

Try adding a few drops of lavender essential oils in the bath...and rubbing a drop on your palms...rub them together...and inhale slowly and deeply a few times.  That is really helpful for calming the body.

[Buddie]

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2013, 01:14:31 am »
Man I think you just solved most of my problems!! Awesome :thumbsup: Been on for two days.
Already learning valuable info. I am digging this site 8)