Author Topic: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in  (Read 86346 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 05:25:14 pm »
Taking your advice, Sigma, and bumping it back up. This was some wonderful advice! Thanks for posting it.

This is me at Day 27:  :o
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20:30 pm »
Omg! this helped  me soooo much!!
i usually just think what is happening to me? when i have a panic attack, and it ALWAYS makes it worst... but now i know alot of things to help me. thnx a lot :)

- Lis ♥
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 07:10:14 pm »
Hi - I have a method that my therapist gave me....seems to work (at least when I'm not so panicked that i forget to use it..lol)

Here are the steps during an anxious episode (you do them simultaneously):
1.curl all ten toes downward into shoe or on floor
2. turn palms upward
3. gently place tongue between teeth
4. turn your head to either left or right and hold to that side
5. breath your deep breaths
6. envision a relaxing thought

Usually within 4 breaths or so I can get a yawn out which means I've broken the anxiety....yawning is a good sign if you're panicking

[Buddie]

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 07:25:33 pm »
Thank you Clementime. I haven't heard of that one. I want to try it. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 09:04:50 pm »
You're welcome  :) It's a good practice just to throw in it throughout the day, anxiety or not...it feels like a bit of a reset button. Some days it sticks longer than others....but it's a little bit of something.

[Buddie]

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2011, 02:47:58 am »
Thought I'd bump this up for new members.  ;)  Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

[Buddie]

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2011, 03:17:38 am »
[...]!

I TRIED THAT AND IT WORKED!  ON THE THIRD BREATHE, TWICE IN A ROW, I YAWNED!  HOW AMAZIMG!  :thumbsup:

THANKS!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 03:22:56 am »
A FEW WEEKS AGO I SAW A POST BY OPTIMIST ABOUT A WAY OF DEALING WITH ANXIETY.  IT HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL TO ME AND I THOUGHT I WOULD ADD THE VIDEO ADDRESS HERE FOR OTHERS TO SEE: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ArtxNt606U

I [...] THIS MAY REACH MORE PEOPLE HERE!   :)

[...]

(SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS TYPING!  IT'S ONE HANDED RIGHT NOW!)

[Buddie]

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 04:09:00 am »
Hi [...] - so glad it worked for you  :) I love this one....I learned that when you yawn you can't rev. And this seems to get a yawn out of folks  ;) Thanks for [...] it!

[Buddie]

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »
Hi - I have a method that my therapist gave me....seems to work (at least when I'm not so panicked that i forget to use it..lol)

Here are the steps during an anxious episode (you do them simultaneously):
1.curl all ten toes downward into shoe or on floor
2. turn palms upward
3. gently place tongue between teeth
4. turn your head to either left or right and hold to that side
5. breath your deep breaths
6. envision a relaxing thought

Usually within 4 breaths or so I can get a yawn out which means I've broken the anxiety....yawning is a good sign if you're panicking

I will try that, thank you so much! I [...] it helps also against the thing that sits in my chest and tickles my insides and makes me feel like i have to explode soon or start screeming...