Author Topic: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in  (Read 81796 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 12:00:33 am »
Walmart sucks, lol.

Great advice on stress, thank you.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 04:37:43 am »
in response to the subtext in this thread: i have never seen so much negativity as in walmart.  i have seen people dying on the ground (twice, with paramedics.  and other people reaching over them to get their tater tots or whatever) and so many fights in and out front.  Some people say it's a psychic vibe from all the advertising psychologically designed to pull your attention.  I avoid going there as much as possible!   :o

I used to work there. That's when my panic attacks first started. I don't think it's a coincidence at all.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 07:42:32 pm »
This is great, [...].  :thumbsup: Do you mind if I move it to the Anxiety and Panic board?  That's usually where we refer people who are having a difficult time with anxiety and they might not find it on the Off Topic board.
Feel free to move it anywhere!  I am new to posting..I'll figure it out one of these days!
  excellent post. I am impressed. Vicky

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 12:58:49 am »
It was interesting to read about those who have trouble in Wal mart. Wal mart has been one of biggest problem areas. I could just step in and zap!....something about the lighting seems to do something to my head! And the incessant noise .....ugh. All of the suggestions at the begginning of this thread are good...but what do you do if you are at work, stuck in a cublicle on the phone or in church or at a funeral? I've had trouble in all those spots...deep breathing did nothing for me. any suggestions in tight spots when you cant get up? thanks

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 01:38:20 am »
It was interesting to read about those who have trouble in Wal mart. Wal mart has been one of biggest problem areas. I could just step in and zap!....something about the lighting seems to do something to my head! And the incessant noise .....ugh. All of the suggestions at the begginning of this thread are good...but what do you do if you are at work, stuck in a cublicle on the phone or in church or at a funeral? I've had trouble in all those spots...deep breathing did nothing for me. any suggestions in tight spots when you cant get up? thanks

If the controlled/deep breathing didn't work for you, maybe you are doing it wrong or quitting too soon, Kate.  I combine that with mental "messages" about the feelings I'm having that reassure me that I'm not going to die or start screaming, etc.  I haven't had to do it in so long I actually can't remember precisely.  At any rate, it was something I just came up with for myself after reading a lot of books and listening to a lot of audio about anxiety and panic.  One of my favorites was Claire Weekes.  You used to be able to download some of her audio files for free but that resource is gone now.  It might be worth it to buy some of her CDs or books.  Here's her website (she's now deceased):
http://www.claireweekes.com.au/products-CDs.html

I practiced A LOT when I was feeling fine and not in a stressful situation so it would be nearly automatic when I could feel the anxiety welling up.  It's really too late to practice when you are already poised to panic.  ::)

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 05:17:19 pm »
I need to remember these tips. I have to go to the grocery store today. We are out of just about everything. Any type of store is so hard for me to deal with.

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 05:42:32 pm »
attacking anxiety with bassett the 15 week program is great

listen to the cd's

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 04:24:30 am »
I think this thread needs a "bump" so I'm giving it one.  ;)

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 11:58:37 pm »
Bumpity bump bump.  :D

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 10:52:09 pm »
Thanks for bumping [...]!! I just read through these and it's a great post! I hope to use some of these tips.