Author Topic: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in  (Read 87147 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2017, 05:20:09 pm »
I didn't read all the replies, but I suffer from panic attacks while driving. I have found that carrying a small cooler with ice cold rags  really helps. I put a cold rag all around my face and it calms me and stops panic dead in its tracks, something about the vagus nerve. Try it, it works!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2017, 05:21:27 pm »
I had to take Diazepam for 20 years, as in my ex-country it was the sole medication for my light variant of epilepsy. Now, I am taking a proper drag and I have entered tapering program.

What I would like to say is that , yes, I am getting anxiety attacks, for which advices from [...] are so welcome. But, when I get epi fears, then I have to capitulate ...... These are setbacks. Last one happened less then one month ago.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2017, 07:58:20 pm »
A cup of hot tea (ginger, peppermint, chamomile are my preferences) helps with the stomach/digestive issues that happen for some of us during/after a panic attack. Also takes your mind away from the panic. I also take L-Theanine. I really calms me down. B-complex supplements help too, but i hear that it doesn't work for some people.

When panic hits i can't leave my room. I"ve tried to go walk around but i feel so disconnected/disoriented that it doesn't work. Turning on netflix or something and letting yourself fall asleep works for me.

[Buddie]

« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2017, 10:29:01 pm »
My therapist, who is somewhat benzo-savvy, gave me some tips for panic attacks. Drink ice cold water and hold ice cubes in the palms of your hands. This helps stimulate the vagus nerve and slows panic. It helps somewhat. Then I walk around for a while. Also, focus on an object and look at it without thinking of anything but the object. Also, stroke something soft and/or something rough.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2017, 05:33:23 pm »
I appreciate the list of tricks, but when I am under a panic attack I cannot breathe (I breathe only from ''upper chest''). And that is the most scary part of a panic attack. As if I have asthma but I was never diagnosed to have asthma. I feel like im dying to be frank. And then a surge of both panic and innability to breathe. I have to remind myself that im having a psychological syndrome and that the power is in my brain and way of thinking. Indeed if I can focus on something for 1 minute I am relieved  but then I go back to the panic state.

I have found yet a way to manage my panic attacks without benzos but I know that I am likely to get one when I drive the car for a long hour trip, when I feel claustophobic, when I have to wait in queue at supermarket, when I am in a place full of noise and bright lights, and when the air outside is too humid (I feel as if there is no oxygen to breathe in). Also I get panic attack whenever I feel hopeless and depressed about my future. Having positive thoughts even my forcing myself to act happy and fake happyness I find a little bit of a break from the doom.... Its acting happy but it works apparently. Funny.

As I said, what is scaring me is that so far the only way out of a panic attack is to take a benzo pill :(

[Buddie]

« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2017, 02:51:22 am »

I need to remember these tips. I have to go to the grocery store today. We are out of just about everything. Any type of store is so hard for me to deal with.

[Buddie]

« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2017, 04:47:06 pm »
Great post. Thnx

[Buddie]

« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2018, 08:07:45 am »
Thanks for the good tips. I'm dealing with this anxiety and doubt right now after a tiny taper of Xanax.i'm starting to realize that with me there seems to be a pattern when I taper this fear and anxiety with physical symptoms lasts about two months and I'm unable to taper further until the horrible spell breaks because I'm too frightened. Seeing a pattern and coming out of the tunnel after two months on a couple of occasions has made me realize that getting off Xanax is really possible after all. Another thing that helps with anxiety is using some of the free tube Benz withdrawal meditation videos. They really help me get through the two hours before my Xanax dose which is always the hardest time of day for me as I'm suffering from strong inter dose withdrawal symptoms.
cheers

[Buddie]

« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2018, 08:24:27 am »
Thanks Josh. I'm going to try that hair styling trick and take some crazy selfies. luv that idea! cheers

[Buddie]

« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2018, 07:03:09 pm »
Thanks [...], this is great advice and it has really helped me cope with my anxiety :thumbsup: