Author Topic: Short term benzo users  (Read 62989 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Short term benzo users
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 06:36:24 pm »
Remember each day away from putting that drug in your body is a step forward...even if it means suffering for awhile.  For me I felt decent for about a month after my last dosage (even though sleep was challenging).  I almost thought I had escaped relatively unscathed...and then BAM- major insomnia, and my hair started falling out like crazy....also waves of anxiety.  I think it was because whatever amount was still in my body had finally left after that last dose (1.5 months later).  I think I'm starting to get a handle on it now but am super cautious every day. 

In the end, you will healing your body after you stop taking the drug.  Everyone is different and metabolizes at a different rate.  Good thing is you'[...] have a lot of support as you go through the process.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 06:43:39 pm »
That sounds scary [...] :/ i [...] it won't get worse for me. I'm three weeks off now.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 06:53:29 pm »
Remember each day away from putting that drug in your body is a step forward...even if it means suffering for awhile.  For me I felt decent for about a month after my last dosage (even though sleep was challenging).  I almost thought I had escaped relatively unscathed...and then BAM- major insomnia, and my hair started falling out like crazy....also waves of anxiety.  I think it was because whatever amount was still in my body had finally left after that last dose (1.5 months later).  I think I'm starting to get a handle on it now but am super cautious every day. 

In the end, you will healing your body after you stop taking the drug.  Everyone is different and metabolizes at a different rate.  Good thing is you'[...] have a lot of support as you go through the process.

Does your hair grow back over time?

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 06:59:16 pm »
I'm just realising this now, but did you know that your hair falls out 3 months after something that happens. So a trauma or a disease, it always takes about 3 months. So maybe it was because of your initial c/t?

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 06:59:29 pm »
Don't mean to scare anyone!  It could be that I also did acupuncture for three weeks after I tapered.  Maybe it could've been bad all along but once I stopped acupuncture all hell broke loose.  Who knows, everyone is different so I [...] it only gets better every day for everyone else. 

I [...] to God my hair grows back over time.  Right now I am still losing a lot.  This has been going on for over a month now.  Thankfully, I have a lot of hair so it's not too noticeable but I'm tired of seeing my hair all over the house.  I'm taking a biotin supplement, but not sure if it's doing anything.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 07:25:54 pm »
Don't mean to scare anyone!  It could be that I also did acupuncture for three weeks after I tapered.  Maybe it could've been bad all along but once I stopped acupuncture all hell broke loose.  Who knows, everyone is different so I [...] it only gets better every day for everyone else. 

I [...] to God my hair grows back over time.  Right now I am still losing a lot.  This has been going on for over a month now.  Thankfully, I have a lot of hair so it's not too noticeable but I'm tired of seeing my hair all over the house.  I'm taking a biotin supplement, but not sure if it's doing anything.

I have some expertise in that area, and i would suspect it's do to shock or stress from the withdrawal, and it will return to normal. I had this several times due to trauma. (i had such a wonderful life... :p) And it will stop and grow back.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 07:36:32 pm »
Hi, Took Ativan .5mg once day for about 4 1/2 months before a 3 1/2 week taper. Was really sick on Ativan & during taper.

Now about 4 1/2 months off.

My hair is coming back, can see it along hairline, eyebrows thicker

Insomnia was horrible, Had 2 weeks that was not so bad , slept a combined 7-9 hours night but woke up every couple hours but was able to sleep again. Sleep feels like real sleep now that real light stuff, like dreaming because I am normal in my dreams.

Things have gone downhill past 3-4 days, many old symptoms back ( strong but a titch better), sleep off slept 3 hours one night. Harder to go back to sleep. So hot or freezing, skin burning all over again. I was just getting to where I was not scared to go to bed.

Working part time but it is rough. Today I can only sit in a chair but am going to make myself go walk a couple miles. Have walked the whole time but it got rougher when this head thing started about a month ago.

Don't take any meds for sleep, nothing worked and I want my brain to learn to sleep again. [...] had insomnia before

Well, writing this made my vision hazy & face really burn. I know a couple others on here who are short term, some are better than me.

The average for wd is 6-12 months they say, someone has to be on the short end. It could be you. Kate

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 08:49:14 pm »
[...],

I [...] heard of "viral hyperthyroidism"  what is that?  When the anxiety first hit and you were not a benzo, it was probably cause from hyperthyroidism, right?

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 09:54:09 pm »
Hi Meggie May,

I had [...] heard of it before either. They said a virus or something affected my immune system and cause my immune system to attack my thyroid gland. You can get either high or low thyroid but mine went high.  My labs went back to normal in about 6 months with out any drugs. Said it could come back or I could get hypothyroidism but so far so good.

My symptoms hit overnight. I had incredible heart palpitations, sweats, hot flashes, muscle spasms neck and left shoulder, high BP, tingling and lost 13 lb in 10 days.  I don't think I was anxious, just scared. But I could have been anxious because the thyroid can cause it. My PCP said it was due to anxiety. I asked why anxiety would hit overnight when I had  [...] been anxious. Gave me BP meds. Kept getting worse, she kept saying anxiety.  I kept saying it wasn't After about 6 weeks she said..Take the Ativan, when all the symptoms go away you will see it is anxiety. Was tired of fighting and just wanted to feel better. Didnt get rid of symptoms but helped the muscle spasms.  Would take .5mg/day to get through work because of muscle spasms. Had only seen doc twice before for physical and sinus infection. Don't know why she went to anxiety except it was an easy answer.

Sad thing is that was May 29. I had made an appt with a cardiologist. It was June 5. He did blood work, called me back that day to get more, dx hyerthyroidism and started me on beta blockers.  If I had seen the cardiologist one week earlier, I would [...] have taken the Ativan.

Started getting anxiety while taking Ativan along with a million other symptoms that I thought was from the BP meds or thyroid. Took me 3 months to get wise.

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 10:23:23 pm »
I was a very short term user too. I knew I had a problem around two weeks when I thought I'd just quit taking the Lorazepam. 2 days later got hammered with bad symptoms. You can see the [...] from my signature. I was feeling really pretty good at 10 months off until 2 weeks ago when I got the flu. That's when all hell broke loose again. Crazy insomnia back that I thought I left back in month 3. Ug!