Day 4 - need advie

[Th...]

My husband is in day 4 of Xanax withdrawal and I'm scared. He was prescribed .5mg 3x day for anxiety. This was in December. The day after his last pill he was in a car accident. He suffered a brain injury and broken bone. Spent 4 days in hospital and came home. He resumed the Xanax probably two weeks later and because of the brain injury went back to his dr to make sure it was okay to resume. He had so much anxiety from the accident and injury plus needed surgery to fix a broken bone he couldn't funtion. Dr approved and also prescribed Prozac 10mg.

Which brings us today. I thought he was taking it as prescribed but learned after the pills were gone that he was double dosing for the last two weeks. He was taking up to 3mg a day. He was in such bad shape I asked him if he took his Xanax and that's when I learned he was all out and couldn't get a refill. Took him to the dr on Thursday ( day two of www) and his dr said no refill but increased his Prozac dosage to 20 mg. now it's end of Saturday day 4. And I see slight improvement. Small windows where symptoms and anxiety is manageble but it's short lived.

Based on info above does anybody have advice on when he might feel relief. He keeps asking me and I don't know. After reading in here it sounds like a long road but what about the brunt worst of this.

Hi Thewife,

Must be a nightmare for sure but i am glad to hear the Doctor didn't give

him a refill......wise decision in my opinion.

Small windows is a good sign and I think it might take a couple of weeks or less...

till the worst is over. Its a scary feeling but nothing unusual.

Deep belly breathing excercise will do the trick :

A deep breath through his nose into the belly ....hold for a count of three....

and slowly with a count of six out through his mouth again.

You are lucky to have a wise Doctor.....wish both of you all the best. :)

Update:  After 7 days of pure hell and a complete break down, I located a holistic medical doctor that is going to taper him down safely.  Instead of Xanax, he prescribed .5mg Klonopin twice a day for two weeks and will begin to taper down from that.  There was no way he was going to get through the withdrawal and my heart goes out to anyone going through this. Feeling relieved and hopeful at last...I hope this works!

This must be very hard to watch someone you love going through this.  I hope that the doctor will be able to get your husband tapered down slowly.  This can still cause withdrawal symptoms, but hopefully at a more tolerable rate.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Glad you got the new doc.  I switched from Xanax to klonopin and think your new doc is on the right path.  My wife suffered as she watched me go through my problems.  It's tough but you are awesome to care for your husband as you do.  He is fortunate.

Glad you got the new doc.  I switched from Xanax to klonopin and think your new doc is on the right path.  My wife suffered as she watched me go through my problems.  It's tough but you are awesome to care for your husband as you do.  He is fortunate.