MDMA trials underway to treat anxiety?!?

[Ki...]

Wow. Another step backwards. I don't know MDMA but it doesn't sound like it should be used.

Here's one by a female psychiatrist that's more hopeful. NY Times "Medicating Women's Feelings"

(hope the link works)

http://nyti.ms/189klLa

OMG - I just googled the author of this NY Times article, Julie Holland, MD, and inadvertently I found out that MDMA is Ecstacy. Dr. Holland published a book in 2001 called

Ecstasy : The Complete Guide : A Comprehensive Look at the Risks and Benefits of MDMA

I believe she was advocating for legalization. How can this be the same person?

Her just-released book is called

Moody Bitches: The Truth About the Drugs You're Taking, The Sleep You're Missing, The Sex You're Not Having, and What's Really Making You Crazy

and her newspaper article, which seems very Anti-medication, was written in support of this book.

I'm confused.  :idiot: Maybe someone else understands this Ecstasy issue better?

[59...]
MDMA was used in a lot of trials a long time ago for all sorts of stuff. They are talking the pure stuff not the kind you can get on the street that is cut with God knows what. It's actually been proven to work well in therapy in helping people open up, not sure what kind of damage it can do to the brain. I will say this, I did a lot of it when I was younger and I always heard about people having holes in their brain because of it, I've had brain scans done 10 years after not doing any and I don't have any damage. I'm not necessarily advocating it's use I think further studies would need to be done in controlled environments. I can't imagine people walking around rolling out of their minds all day for "anxiety".