Insomniac support group

[Sh...]

Just so you know I found chamomile extract to be effective in helping me throughout my taper and my withdraw. I try not to use it because it might or might not affect gaba receptors.

But if I mix camomile extract with some l'theanine 30 minutes before bed and read a book, it helped tremendously with my sleep.

I mean nothing helps if you are having a terrible wave but when you're on the border line and just need a little help it really works.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Si...]

• [Al...]

• [MT...]

• [Sh...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again Bob7

I have been a lavender tea enthusiast for the past year. Generally, mixed with chamomile tea. All whole leaf made in gallon batches. Decided a few days ago, to cut back to a cup a day. I was drinking muchisimo!

For your kind responses, I would like to share a great series of mindfulness based audio tracks with you (and other members) that you might find interesting/helpful. Based on an excellent book--Mindful Based Workbook. The authors are innovators of mindfulness based cognitive therapy. They teamed up with Jon Kabat-Zinn for their first book and use his methodology. They have the most pleasant and relaxing manner of speaking (Jon's audios are similar but his voice is not as smoothing as these authors).

Today, feeling rough but after doing the body scan and the two yoga audios--my mood lifted. For some reason once crossed over to V, I became less motivated to do the simple yoga stretches.

https://www.guilford.com/companion-site/The-Mindful-Way-Workbook/9781462508143

Now-- researching niacin/niacinamide. On a supplement kick today.

Cheers

Thanks again Bob7

I have been a lavender tea enthusiast for the past year. Generally, mixed with chamomile tea. All whole leaf made in gallon batches. Decided a few days ago, to cut back to a cup a day. I was drinking muchisimo!

For your kind responses, I would like to share a great series of mindfulness based audio tracks with you (and other members) that you might find interesting/helpful. Based on an excellent book--Mindful Based Workbook. The authors are innovators of mindfulness based cognitive therapy. They teamed up with Jon Kabat-Zinn for their first book and use his methodology. They have the most pleasant and relaxing manner of speaking (Jon's audios are similar but his voice is not as smoothing as these authors).

Today, feeling rough but after doing the body scan and the two yoga audios--my mood lifted. For some reason once crossed over to V, I became less motivated to do the simple yoga stretches.

https://www.guilford.com/companion-site/The-Mindful-Way-Workbook/9781462508143

Now-- researching niacin/niacinamide. On a supplement kick today.

Cheers

For what it's worth, these are the supplements I normally use before bed. Some nights, like last night, they knock me out and I sleep amazingly well. Some nights I don't sleep at all.

Earlier in the day/after a meal no later than 3 pm: 5,000 mg Vitamin D with K2 (I am vitamin d deficient), a B complex with methylated B vitaminss, I use ReAline from the RNAreset protocol from Dr. Dean, the magnesium miracle doctor. On days I workout, I also use 1 tsp of Remag and 1 tsp of Remyte in my workout water.

Two hours before bed: .333 mcg melatonin, 500 mg taurine, and 100 mg l-theanine, with my K dose and remeron.

I also sometimes use medical marijuana if I am desperate, or chamomile tea mixed with hops, it tastes terrible but it definitely helps.

Thanks NJStrength

So, taking the 100 mg l-theanine with remeron has not been a problem.

Shall look up your other supplements.

Cheers

Thanks NJStrength

Cheers

No problems that I am aware of! Unfortunately neither the remeron or klonopin cause sedation like I need them to. Need to figure out what I am doing in terms of tapering one of them.

Thanks NJStrength

Cheers

No problems that I am aware of! Unfortunately neither the remeron or klonopin cause sedation like I need them to. Need to figure out what I am doing in terms of tapering one of them.

NJStrength

I have used Trazodone off and on for many years. Initially, for help with migraines and later for late night work (day sleeping).

My benzo use like most every ones was unfortunate. That story can wait. But, last year about this time, ended up trying every sleeping pill covered by insurance which worked for a few days and then made things much worse with added daytime anxiety. Just the few months on X was brutal. That drug is damned mean spirited---once the interdose withdrawals appeared--I knew it had to go. I have cut quite a bit in just the last few months down to about .20 X equivalent.

Once I switched back to Trazodone it was a relief - just what you are looking for - sedation. Really helps with initiating sleep.

50 mg is the recommended dose. Noticed many members are using it as a sleep aid along with their nightly taper dose.

Tried about 50 mg of l-theanine a few hours ago. Did notice a slight calming effect.

Cheers

PS--My mother was on at least 1 mg K for restless leg syndrome for many years when she was quit elderly. Never had an issue. Always rearing to go.

Thanks NJStrength

Cheers

NJStrength

I have used Trazodone off and on for many years. Initially, for help with migraines and later for late night work (day sleeping).

My benzo use like most every ones was unfortunate. That story can wait. But, last year about this time, ended up trying every sleeping pill covered by insurance which worked for a few days and then made things much worse with added daytime anxiety. Just the few months on X was brutal. That drug is damned mean spirited---once the interdose withdrawals appeared--I knew it had to go. I have cut quite a bit in just the last few months down to about .20 X equivalent.

Once I switched back to Trazodone it was a relief - just what you are looking for - sedation. Really helps with initiating sleep.

50 mg is the recommended dose. Noticed many members are using it as a sleep aid along with their nightly taper dose.

Tried about 50 mg of l-theanine a few hours ago. Did notice a slight calming effect.

Cheers

PS--My mother was on at least 1 mg K for restless leg syndrome for many years when she was quit elderly. Never had an issue. Always rearing to go.

Thank you. I did try trazodone initially before the remeron. It didn't agree with me. The remeron worked very well for sleep for a long time, and now I just don't know ... I guess it works sometime. It is also a known weight gain drug and I really need to lose some weight.

Glad the l-theanine worked for you a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Healthyme:

Yes many take ltheanine with a benzo. You may want to reach out to Bob7 or look at his posts to see what he is using for insomnia. He has a lot of supplements he uses successfully. He is off Klonopin now but did use supplements during his taper.

• 2 months later...
Hi from a fellow insomniac! I’m looking for a personal support groups where we check in with each other and provide encouragement daily maybe via text or Discord or something. Does such a thing exist?

Hi from a fellow insomniac! I’m looking for a personal support groups where we check in with each other and provide encouragement daily maybe via text or Discord or something. Does such a thing exist?

Hi AnxiousAnn,

We discourage members from giving out personal information, many have regretted divulging their personal details while in the state of benzo withdrawal when their judgement can be impaired.

It's fine to post on the open forum or use the PM system for chit-chat but please respect member privacy.  You might check this resource for what you're looking for. https://www.benzoinfo.com/resources/

Pamster

Theanine is naturally occurring in green tea. So for most people it should be rather safe to take. I’d try a small amount first and then increase a little after you see how it effects you. I tried it for a while and thought it was just ok. It wasn’t enough for me to use all the time. I just drink a lot of decaf green tea, but you could try the supplement for a larger dose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

can my ssri hinder my sleep.. I had to take  k to be able to  take the ssri

Yes, SSRIs cause an unnatural increase in serotonin which then lowers your dopamine.  They can most certainly cause all sorts of problems with sleep.

Thanks NJStrength

Cheers

NJStrength

Cheers

Hi everyone. Sorry I was stalking this group a bit and came up with this post.

Blue, you mention you've been on and off trazodone for sleep. No problem with going on and off? No kindling? I went down from 50 mg to 12.5 mgs which I'm taking now, and my sleep is fine ATM. However, sometimes life can get tough and if my sleep becomes very bad again, I always wonder if I could go back on to a higher dose of trazodone without any consequences as far as kindling is concerend. I've gone on and off other drugs before: benzos and ssris, with horrible consequesces, so I didn't want to make the same mistake with trazodone. Wishing everyone a better sleep. VNM

• 8 months later...
I thought I’d bring back this support group for those of us suffering with insomnia. Maybe not to complain just to support. I know there’s a few of us in the 0-3 group atm x sending my fellow battlers some love

Nothing really worked for me until I finished my taper.  Then sleep slowly got better, but it took over a year.

I have learned certain B vitamins help me sleep.  I have trouble absorbing B-vitamins.

For what it is worth, here is info:

For the B-vitamin study:

For sleep, an hour before bed, I take:

-750% B5

-250% B7

-190% B2

-500% B6

-150% B3

For energy during the day, I take when I wake up:

-3000% B12 (Methylcobalamin form)

-167% B9 (L-methylfolate form)

-300% B1

VERY IMPORTANT - B vitamin absorb best by dissolving them under the tongue.

Also at bed, I take 50% magnesium and 50% zinc and 50% iron and a baby aspirin.

Hey bob nice to hear from you x I’ve read some of ur posts x I’m a bit wary of b vitamins atm that they might rev me up too much. Did u start using these some time into ur healing? I have about 6 weeks of my taper left

Yes, B1, B9, and B12 rev me up.  If I take B12 before bed I am up all night.

But B5, B7, B2, B6, and B3 help with sleep.

I am still experimenting with the doses.

I did not discover this until a year after my taper.  I found out I have MTHFR.  With that, and getting older (I am 58), our bodies have trouble absorbing B vitamins.

Okay interesting.

I have been tested for mthfr and I don’t have it.

I guess I could test and see. Honestly I think I just have to accept it might be a while for me. Which is a hard thing to do but I know u had a rough time so u got thru it and so can I.

Do u ever not take ur night tabs? What happens if u don’t take them?

Right now things are going so good I don't want to stop.

I will stay, supplements didn't help much while I was still in taper mode.

But if you were going to try any, try B5 and B7 and B2.

Do not get a complex B because that will have the energy ones in it too.

I understand but that’s great news x so happy ur doing so well  :smitten:

Yeah that’s the thing I’ve tried so many things that every time something doesn’t work it kinda deflates me a bit more.

But I appreciate the advice and I might keep them in my Arsenal for once I’m off. X