Insomniac support group

[Sh...]

Sniogra - Congratulations on your med-free sleep! I hope this is a big turning point for you and that the trend will continue.

MTfan - That's good advice about preparing for sleep early. I try to do that as much as possible, but I probably could be more diligent about it. Interesting about being about to adjust the computer so the light doesn't interfere -- I don't have a smart phone though -- can it be done on a regular computer? Now I usually just try to shut it off early.

Sorry to say, last night was my worst 0 sleep night yet due to non-stop spasms/jerks. Must have happened hundreds of times. So exhausting! And this was in spite of taking a long walk during the day -- walked to a health food store the next town over and bought magnesium oil spray and holy basil tea (both of which I used last night). By around 1:30 AM, I broke down and took 7.5-mg Remeron, thinking it might get me past the spasms: probably shouldn't have done it, as it didn't help. I'm feeling so hopeless right now, like a quivering mess. Even thinking maybe it's time to check myself into a mental hospital or go to the ER. Then again, maybe I'm not thinking straight due to sleep deprivation...Any thoughts, guys?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Si...]

• [Al...]

• [MT...]

• [Sh...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Shirah- I'm so sorry you had another sleepless night.  I know how horrid it is.  Night after night of no sleep will make you start feeling so hopeless.  No one really understands the pain it causes except another insomniac. 

Do you think that your intermittent use of remeron could be messing up your body's natural cycle of trying to sleep? I don't know anything about remeron...can you use it as needed?  When I went about two weeks w/ about 0-2 hours a night I know that the doxepin helped to "sedate" me enough for my body to get some kind of rest.  I'm thinking of it as my last resort pill now.  I too tried magnesium oil but found it had no effect- the epsom salt magnesium lotion works so much better.  In fact, I used it last night when I woke up at one and although it took me awhile to get back to sleep, the difference was I actually felt sleepy/ drowsy.  Usually I am wired and am not capable of going back to sleep.  I also think it helps w/ my muscle spasms.  I have a few when I lay down but they are gone in the middle of the night. 

Can you get some rest today? Is the holy basil tea noncaffeinated? Another calming herb is lemon balm. I found it has helped me some.  I use the tincture and do about 30 drops in water before bed. 

Also, have you got any bloodwork done lately? How are your calcium levels?

I hope you are able to take a nap today and keep your mind off of the sleep. With insomnia, your adrenals get so taxed I wouldn't overdo it on the exercise today.  Take care and keep us posted!

Shirah have you tried some magnesium lotion to help with your sleep? I read it's much better than taking magnesium supplements for it does not interfere with your bowel movements.

Fran

Any of you holding down a job while going through this?  It's rough but I'm hoping to hold on as long as I can during and post taper.  My wife and I are debt free including mortgage  and no kids.  That takes a lot of added stress away from me that I don't need.  The problem is it's a high paying stressful IT job.  Yuck!!!!

Shirah,

When you get the body jerks are you in a wave?  I only get those when I am in a wave after a cut.  Can you sleep OK/decent when you're in a window?  I get broken sleep in a window, but waves really suck with that stupid body jerk.  I can relate to you on that.  It's like right before you hit hypnosis, the brain jerks you back awake.

Shirah- also try eating foods high in tryptophan today like turkey, chicken, bananas, milk, oats, cheese, soy, nuts, peanut butter, and sesame seeds.  Since our bodies can't make tryptophan we have to absorb it from food. Our bodies then convert it into 5-HTP and then to serotonin.  Serotonin imbalances mess up our sleep cycles.  I find that eating a dinner w/ some carbs helps create that insulin spike needed to allow the tryptophan needed to enter our bodies effectively.

Fran/Sniogra - I was unable to find magnesium epsom lotion when I looked online, and the health store I went to didn't carry it. The closest I found was made by Morton Salt Co. -- is that what you use? I would like to try a lotion instead. The oil made me itchy.

Sniogra - Remeron worked well for for me, taking it every other night, until recently. I was really depending on that and trazodone to get me through with sleep until natural sleep's return. But they both conked out on me...Yes, I can/will try to rest today. And I have a doctor's appt. this Thursday, and can ask about bloodwork. I wonder if I should try to see a functional medical practitioner for that instead though.

Arcade - I'm not sure I've had a typical waves/windows pattern. Basically, I feel close to normal when I get sleep. But when I don't sleep, all hell breaks loose...As far as work goes, I try to work steadily as a freelancer, but I told the client I'm working for now that I may need to take a break due to health reasons. They're pretty understanding. And even though taking too long a break could be a bit risky and I hate to turn away work, I realize I must put my health first now...Sounds like you're in a really good place in terms of financial stability, and in the unlikely event that worse comes to worst, you can always get another job.

Fran/Sniogra - I was unable to find magnesium epsom lotion when I looked online, and the health store I went to didn't carry it. The closest I found was made by Morton Salt Co. -- is that what you use? I would like to try a lotion instead. The oil made me itchy.

Sniogra - Remeron worked well for for me, taking it every other night, until recently. I was really depending on that and trazodone to get me through with sleep until natural sleep's return. But they both conked out on me...Yes, I can/will try to rest today. And I have a doctor's appt. this Thursday, and can ask about bloodwork. I wonder if I should try to see a functional medical practitioner for that instead though.

Arcade - I'm not sure I've had a typical waves/windows pattern. Basically, I feel close to normal when I get sleep. But when I don't sleep, all hell breaks loose...As far as work goes, I try to work steadily as a freelancer, but I told the client I'm working for now that I may need to take a break due to health reasons. They're pretty understanding. And even though taking too long a break could be a bit risky and I hate to turn away work, I realize I must put my health first now...Sounds like you're in a really good place in terms of financial stability, and in the unlikely event that worse comes to worst, you can always get another job.

Shira,

If work gets too stressful on my CNS, I am thinking of an easier job or even part time until I fully heal.  I will continue to try my best holding my current job but health comes first.  I posted a cock tail that I see quite often here on BB that might help you?  I am not sure about the jerks though.

Shirah- the oil made me itchy as well. I have the epsom salt brand lotion.  The reason I ask about calcium levels is that low levels can cause spasms and cramps.  When I started eating dairy again mine have settled down some. 

Shirah-I am going to have to order magnesium lotion on line. I did see the Morton one. None of the vitamin stores in my hood carry the lotion. The oil can make your skin itch.

Fran

Shirah-I just found the magnesium lotion at Whole Foods. I'm on my way to buy it now. Do you have a whole foods where you live?

Fran

I really relate to what Shirah's saying because that's so much of how I feel. Insomnia is my worst symptom and seems to drive all of my others.

I've been taking seroquel 250 twice/week and trazodone 200 with an old trycylic AD and zanaflex 1-2 times a week. Those nights haven't been great but they helped. This past week nothing has been working. I'm so restless on my med nights they hardly count and I'm getting zero sleep on the other nights.

I feel desperate and exhausted and am finding hope is out of reach. I just ordered the lotion you folks recommended and I'll hit the tryptophan foods today.

I have to work Monday and Wednesday in a healing profession (I feel like a crappy healer right now) and then drive 5 hours Wednesday late afternoon to a professional conference for 4 days. I can't imagine tolerating the conference but I also really need some inspiration. The first day is all mindfulness based stress reduction so I hope that helps.

Any words of encouragement would be so appreciated.

Any of you holding down a job while going through this?  It's rough but I'm hoping to hold on as long as I can during and post taper.  My wife and I are debt free including mortgage  and no kids.  That takes a lot of added stress away from me that I don't need.  The problem is it's a high paying stressful IT job.  Yuck!!!!

Yeah I went back to work 3 days after c/t. That was unbelievably hard, but I can't afford to loose my job. This last bout was terrible. The original insomnia was bad and I had way more w/d symptoms, but it was a pattern of one day on and one day off of sleep. So it was really predictable and more manageable. This last time I was up several days at a time, so much harder to deal with. I'm starting to come through it I think now that most if the flu has left (knock in wood). I've slept for the last three nights, which is awesome relief. I fell asleep on the sofa last night from 8-9pm. Went to bed around 10:30. Woke up at 12. Was a little discouraged, but then fell back asleep. Woke up at 5am and then back asleep around 5:30. Woke back up around 10am. Hope everyone else is making progress.

Posted by: arcade79

"wow 200mg traz would knock me outcold.  12mg traz puts me to sleep."

Arcade, that's part of why I'm so bummed. I take pretty high doses of things and they still don't work. I know Seroquel is supposed to work better at lower doses. I tried that and got no help.

I keep reading the posts of those who've gotten better. It helps. I'm usually a pretty positive person but can't seem to access that part of me right now. Too much fatigue.

Hi, guys...Was unable to nap (tried 2x...gave up), but am taking it easy. Went for a short walk with my daughter in the sunshine. Hoping for a better night tonight...

Snogra - Thank you for the nutrition tips. You seem to know a lot about that. Although my diet is pretty healthy, I probably should try adding more carbs and dairy. Also, when the insomnia kicks in, I get so nauseous it's hard to eat anything -- must really force myself.

Arcade - Thanks for the "cocktail" recipe. My daughter just picked up the ingredients for me and I plan to try it this evening.

Fran - Speaking of my daughter, I asked her to see if they had the magnesium lotion at Whole Foods, but she didn't find it. I guess I'll order online.

MTfan - It seems like you had a good window on your recent trip to visit your son -- something similar is sure to happen again soon. So hang in there...Who knows, maybe you'll have another one at the conference. Sometimes a change of scenery is good.

Adrenal Cocktail Recipe

½ cup orange juice

½ teaspoon cream of tarter

½ teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic salt

I have Pink Himalayan salt at home...going to try it out tonight

Shirah-I think it was in my store because the guy who owns the company lives in my hood. I was feeling a little anxious and I did rub it on my body and I did feel better. Google magsoothium. I know they are on FB. I also ordered some magnesium glycinate to experiment with. This type of magnesium is not supposed to give you any bowel problems.

Sniogra-Please let me know how the adrenal cocktail works. I'm thinking of trying it.

Fran

Thanks for the recipe Sniogra. I'll try it tomorrow night. I'd eat eye of newt sprinkled with fairy dust if I thought it would work at this point ;D

Yeah everybody let me know how the cocktail works for you.  When I am in a wave I wake up with adrenaline/cortisol surge at 3am and it feels like intense anxiety.  I am kind of used to it now but all of my other symptoms are a sinch compared to this one.

I have taken the trazodone (50mg) and seroquel 25mg for some time now, and it helped me a bit. But this night i had to puke suddenly at 12,30 am. And i could not sleep. I'm wondering if i puked the pills also. Now a lot of pain again, i notice that not sleeping causes me more musclepain and physical sx. But when i do sleep my sx are more psychological (fear)

Well this sucks. Slept the last three nights and then last night nada. I have that burning skin and head pressure again too. I thought I was over the hump and was going back to sleeping every night. So disconcerting.