Author Topic: Insomniac support group  (Read 59600 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Insomniac support group
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »
That happens to me a lot when I have sleep problems. I start nodding off around 9pm while sitting on the [...]. Then I get up to go to bed and I'm wide awake. I slept a broken 8 last night I think. I kept waking up and then falling back to sleep. My biggest problem is sleep onset. Usually if I wake up after sleeping, I don't have much problem falling back to sleep. It is a good sign though that you're nodding off like that. Your body is trying really hard to normalize. That happened in acute with me and a few weeks later I was sleeping every night unaided. It took a while to build back up to a steady 7-8 hours, but sleeping every night is a godsend as far as feeling better dealing with w/d. Hope yours improves soon!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 01:00:43 pm »
So I decided not to take anything last night...

I slept FIVE hours straight!!! I still woke up at 3 am but I was giddy when I looked at the alarm clock.  If I hadn't looked at the time I just might have fallen back asleep. But then I was awake and read a book.   Drifted off again at 5 am for another 1.5 hours.

Here's what I used that I think helped---Epsom salt magnesium lotion. I put it on liberally before bed and was immediately calm and sleepy.  I decided to apply some more at 4:30 am and noticed again an immediate calmness although I got stuck in this weird REM state and felt kind of weird before drifting off.  Not sure if you can have too much magnesium.  I also drank a cup of holy basil tea which lowers cortisol levels and helped relieve the anxiety about sleeping.

Going to keep med free tonight.  Shira and [...]- you should give the lotion a shot.  You can buy it at Walmart I think.  I got mine through Amazon prime. 

I'll keep you posted about the tea and lotion.  Hoping to keep up this pattern 😬
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
[...]-I am glad you are getting your sleep back that is a wonderful sign and it usually takes the longest to return back. My sleep is returning as well and I am only 11 weeks c/t off 5 mg of [...]. My psch [...] told me to get off my computer or iphone 2 hours before going to bed because the light stimulates the brain and you can't fall into a deep sleep. I always fall asleep in bed around 10:40 [...]  and then I wake up about 11:00 [...] to turn off my TV and I always fall back to sleep ASAP. One day last week I woke up at 11:00 [...] and I felt so rested as if it was the morning..lol. I could not fall back to sleep until 12:30 AM so I listened to meditation oasis relax and sleep exercise and it works. I swear by it. I always wake up at 3:15 AM to go to the bathroom. Some nights I can fall back to sleep immediately and some nights it takes a little longer. I don't worry about it anymore and what's the big deal if I have to wake up once to go to the bathroom? It's normal at my age.
Fran

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 01:10:09 pm »
[...] - That's great that you got med-free sleep -- you must feel wonderful today! And thanks for the tips about the lotion and tea. I'll look into both.

[...] - I really appreciate your saying that about it being a good sign nodding off watching TV. After another sleepless night, any little sign that gives hope is so needed -- like a life raft!

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 02:49:12 am »
[...], that's great you got some med free sleep and [...], I'm glad your sleep is normalizing. Always good to hear those things.

How much Vitamin C do you folks recommend? I got some today.

[...], I do the same thing with nodding off, having trouble staying awake and alert in the evening but then when it's bedtime it's like I've been snorting coffee beans. I've started doing all of my getting ready early so that when I start to feel even a little drowsy I don't have to risk waking myself up more by brushing my teeth, washing my face, and so on.

Have you guys heard of the computer and phone app twilight? It becomes active at 5 [...] and then it filters out the [...] light from your computer or phone. It's the [...] light that hits the optic nerve and interferes with the release of melatonin (among other things so our brain thinks it's morning).It helps. Being awake so many hours gets BORING so I find it useful to still be able to surf the web late at night without risking making the insomnia worse--but I avoid emotionally activating sites.

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »
[...] - Congratulations on your med-free sleep! I hope this is a big turning point for you and that the trend will continue.

[...] - That's good advice about preparing for sleep early. I try to do that as much as possible, but I probably could be more diligent about it. Interesting about being about to adjust the computer so the light doesn't interfere -- I don't have a smart phone though -- can it be done on a regular computer? Now I usually just try to shut it off early.

Sorry to say, last night was my worst 0 sleep night yet due to non-stop spasms/jerks. Must have happened hundreds of times. So exhausting! And this was in spite of taking a long walk during the day -- walked to a health food store the next town over and bought magnesium oil spray and holy basil tea (both of which I used last night). By around 1:30 AM, I broke down and took 7.5-mg Remeron, thinking it might get me past the spasms: probably shouldn't have done it, as it didn't help. I'm feeling so hopeless right now, like a quivering mess. Even thinking maybe it's time to check myself into a mental hospital or go to the ER. Then again, maybe I'm not thinking straight due to sleep deprivation...Any thoughts, guys?

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 01:44:00 pm »
[...]- I'm so sorry you had another sleepless night.  I know how horrid it is.  Night after night of no sleep will make you start feeling so hopeless.  No one really understands the pain it causes except another insomniac. 

Do you think that your intermittent use of remeron could be messing up your body's natural cycle of trying to sleep? I don't know anything about remeron...can you use it as needed?  When I went about two weeks w/ about 0-2 hours a night I know that the doxepin helped to "sedate" me enough for my body to get some kind of rest.  I'm thinking of it as my last resort pill now.  I too tried magnesium oil but found it had no effect- the epsom salt magnesium lotion works so much better.  In fact, I used it last night when I woke up at one and although it took me awhile to get back to sleep, the difference was I actually felt sleepy/ drowsy.  Usually I am wired and am not capable of going back to sleep.  I also think it helps w/ my muscle spasms.  I have a few when I lay down but they are gone in the middle of the night. 

Can you get some rest today? Is the holy basil tea noncaffeinated? Another calming herb is lemon balm. I found it has helped me some.  I use the tincture and do about 30 drops in water before bed. 

Also, have you got any bloodwork done lately? How are your calcium levels?

I hope you are able to take a nap today and keep your mind off of the sleep. With insomnia, your adrenals get so taxed I wouldn't overdo it on the exercise today.  Take care and keep us posted!

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 01:47:18 pm »
[...] have you tried some magnesium lotion to help with your sleep? I read it's much better than taking magnesium supplements for it does not interfere with your bowel movements.
Fran

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 02:01:58 pm »
Any of you holding down a job while going through this?  It's rough but I'm hoping to hold on as long as I can during and post taper.  My wife and I are debt free including mortgage  and no kids.  That takes a lot of added stress away from me that I don't need.  The problem is it's a high paying stressful IT job.  Yuck!!!!

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 02:08:58 pm »
[...],

When you get the body jerks are you in a wave?  I only get those when I am in a wave after a cut.  Can you sleep OK/decent when you're in a window?  I get broken sleep in a window, but waves really suck with that stupid body jerk.  I can relate to you on that.  It's like right before you hit hypnosis, the brain jerks you back awake.