Allen Frances, editor of DSM-IV, developed Risperdal guidelines ‘in disregard...

[La...]

[34...]

Interesting, Lapis.

This is the same Dr. Allan Francis who wrote "Saving Normal: An Insider's Revolt against Out-of-Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-5, Big Pharma, and the Medicalization of Ordinary Life".

So first he made money from big pharma and then he made money bashing big pharma.

Eye-opening, isn't it? Ethics? Morality? "First, do no harm"? It's extremely hard to figure out what's going on in people's heads and hearts when looking at this picture.

[d5...]

Lapis,

Doctors are heavily influenced and influential, egos become intertwined with the purpose of medicine.

I like the title of Dr Carl Elliot's book : White Coat, Black Hat- The Adventures on The Dark Side of Medicine.

The article you shared perfectly illuminates this "dark side". 

Marija

What makes me hopeful is the intelligence and insight that people are putting to good use in exposing such problems. It might be a "dark side" but at least we don't have to live in the "dark ages"!

Have any of you read Dr. Mickey Nardo's 1boringoldman.com website?

He is spending his retirement years, pouring over these studies, posting the lies and inaccuracies.  Most enlightening reading.  He is one of the good ones in my opinion.

SeekingSanity

SS, I followed up on your mention of Dr. Mickey Nardo and came across this Psychology Today article, called "Holding Psychiatry to a Much Higher Ethical Standard". It's written by Dr. Allen Frances in Jan. 2014 and includes a letter written by Dr. Nardo to the American Psychiatric Association.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/saving-normal/201401/holding-psychiatry-much-higher-ethical-standard

Here's an excerpt from Dr. Frances' mention of Dr. Nardo:

"Mickey Nardo MD represents all the psychiatrists in the trenches who have had more than enough of incompetent APA leadership. He writes what is by far the best available psychiatric blog under the misleadingly modest nom-de-blog 1boringoldman. Nardo is definitely not boring and by my standards is not that old. Anyone who regularly reads his blog will agree that he lives up only to the last part of the title--he is indeed a mensch.

After writing an enlightening series of blogs dealing with various aspects of this conflict of interest mess and APA's inadequate respite to it, Nardo developed a damning timeline connecting the dots, and finally wrote the following impassioned open letter to the APA Trustees and Assembly. His goal is to stimulate the APA at long last to do the right thing--to correct its persisting pattern of lax ethical oversight over both itself and the profession."

• 1 year later...

I just listened to this excellent talk by Paula Caplan PhD.

“There Are No Rules About Psychiatric Diagnosis - And That Must End!”.

Ugh, this guy's always been on my slimeball radar and now I'm all fired up, so here comes the rant.  :o

This Allen Frances, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the biggest scumbags alive today!  A monster and a psychopath!!!  :tickedoff:

He *deliberately* and *knowingly* - and without conscience(?) - is responsible for acts which have directly caused and continue to cause horrific pain and suffering to MILLIONS of people  Including young kids!!!  No one forced his hand, he knew very well what he was doing; calculated, premeditated; selfish, egoistical.  And he kept at it for many, many, many years!

And now he's suddenly flipped sides?  Oh, give me a break!

Paula Caplan absolutely nails him!  Here's a shorter clip:

https://youtu.be/K12jE7TH7zQ

SS, I followed up on your mention of Dr. Mickey Nardo and came across this Psychology Today article, called "Holding Psychiatry to a Much Higher Ethical Standard". It's written by Dr. Allen Frances in Jan. 2014 and includes a letter written by Dr. Nardo to the American Psychiatric Association.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/saving-normal/201401/holding-psychiatry-much-higher-ethical-standard

Here's an excerpt from Dr. Frances' mention of Dr. Nardo:

"Mickey Nardo MD represents all the psychiatrists in the trenches who have had more than enough of incompetent APA leadership. He writes what is by far the best available psychiatric blog under the misleadingly modest nom-de-blog 1boringoldman. Nardo is definitely not boring and by my standards is not that old. Anyone who regularly reads his blog will agree that he lives up only to the last part of the title--he is indeed a mensch.

After writing an enlightening series of blogs dealing with various aspects of this conflict of interest mess and APA's inadequate respite to it, Nardo developed a damning timeline connecting the dots, and finally wrote the following impassioned open letter to the APA Trustees and Assembly. His goal is to stimulate the APA at long last to do the right thing--to correct its persisting pattern of lax ethical oversight over both itself and the profession."

What a joke!  As if this degenerate even knows what the word "mensch" means?  "Conflict of interest", "ethical oversight", "do the right thing" ...??!  All this coming out of his mouth, seriously, this man is truly one very disturbed individual.

Interesting, Lapis.

This is the same Dr. Allan Francis who wrote "Saving Normal: An Insider's Revolt against Out-of-Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-5, Big Pharma, and the Medicalization of Ordinary Life".

So first he made money from big pharma and then he made money bashing big pharma.

Exactly this!  How does anyone just wake up one day and find themselves with a completely opposite mindset and way of being in the world?  Now he's out making money impersonating as a good guy and bashing the very hand that fed him all those years?  Yea, right.

Here's him on The Doctors Show:

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/episodes/secrets-your-doctor-may-not-be-telling-you--2#

And here he is critiquing the DSM-V.  I want to hear from him why he didn't have these same concerns while creating the DSM-IV.  ::)

Something's not adding up for me, smells very fishy. 

My best guess is that he's still in cahoots with Pharma.  Just playing another role.  Slime, slime, slime. 

:tickedoff:

The D/Evil.  :tickedoff:

Why are these guys above the law?  Only if/when these individual executives are taken to task and fined out of their own pockets and shamed and are sitting in prison cells, only then do I believe we'll see any kind of significant change.