NYT Blog -Benzos and sedative hypnotics or z drugs in the news

[Se...]

This is a good article  :)

the doctor quoted was incorrect in proper tapering techniques, did you notice that? She said a 12-20 week taper is necessary to slowly lower drug levels in blood plasma, but she didn't talk about switching to a longer acting benzo that has a longer half life. It worried me thinking that these people are being jerked around with a short acting benzo being given only once a day and that is considered a safe and proper taper.

Gettingthere,

Thanks for the post and sharing your thoughts.

I was one of the ones who chose to taper my original medication - the z-drug or zopiclone - rather than to switch over to a long-acting benzo.  I was given the option at the end of my taper but I had read widely on the BB site by that point and had observed that some people didn't make the transition to another type of benzo very well, they actually felt unwell on the longer acting benzo.  I decided to stick with the poison I knew and though I was aware of the fact that I had interdose withdrawal and was in tolerance withdrawal, I didn't want to invite an "unknown" quantity in the form of yet another drug that I might or might not tolerate.  Just my thoughts on this - and my experience.  I could have chosen to go onto another medication for the taper but stuck to the zopiclone as I knew the effects and was using it for sleep.  I decided to tough it out.

Even under the circumstances and in the wake of the past 22 months of protracted WD symptoms, I would chose the same thing again if faced with a do-over.  I had my reasons - I didn't want to risk introducing other issues into my WD.  But I appreciate that for many people, this is the right choice, particularly when on a "benzo" as opposed to a z-drug.

For me, tapering down on the z-drug was a "safe and proper taper" - maybe not for others, but for me I'm convinced this was the way to go.  I don't think that it would have made things better to swtich over and I actually think it could have made things worse.  Either way, it is what it is and I'm here - slowly healing and profoundly grateful for the decision to get off these medications and the strength to prevail and to never look back.

Food for thought.  I try not to be dogmatic about things in life and to encourage others to find what works best for them.  Get educated and make an informed decision.  Try something on for size and see if it works for you.  I don't live with regrets either way.

All the best to you in your healing journey gettingthere.  I hope you are getting better too.  Thanks for the post.

SeekingSanity