CBC TV's "The fifth estate"covers "The Pain Game: Drugs, Doctors and Pro Sports"

[La...]

I'm not sure if this video can be viewed outside of Canada, but the link brings you to the CBC's "the fifth estate" page, which features a detailed description of what's covered in the program. For NHL hockey player Derek Boogaard, multiple prescriptions for various types of painkillers and Ambien (zolpidem) eventually led to his death. Players from the NFL and CFL also have some stories to tell when it comes to over-prescription. These are shocking and sad tales from the world of pro-sports.

"The fifth estate" is a top-notch investigative journalism television program on Canada's public broadcaster, the CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2014-2015/the-pain-game-drugs-doctors-and-pro-sports

At the end of the above video, there's an added "the fifth estate" clip from a much earlier program on a related topic. This one featured NHL hockey player Mike Robitaille. This bio mentions his addiction to Valium as a result of pills he was given by the team doctor:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14155

Thank you Lapis for posting.... :)

You are right...can't open the video in Europe....it all confirms

but we know already, how sad.

Hi Morreweg,

I'm sorry the video can't be viewed in Europe, but yes, the stories aren't surprising. But, they're so sad. Derek Boogaard's father found the list of medications that he'd been prescribed and it was truly mind-boggling to see -- a long, long list of the strongest painkillers and, of course, Ambien, all of which are addictive. The football players (North American football players) apparently had numerous injections of Toradol for pain before, during and after a match. It's a sport that I've never been able to watch, and knowing what goes on behind the scenes only reinforces my feelings.