2014 Study: Link between medications taken for insomnia and psych. disorders

[La...]

This Taiwan study is called "Risk of Psychiatric Disorders in Patients with Chronic Insomnia and Sedative-Hypnotic Prescription: A Nationwide Population-Based Follow-Up Study".

The findings show that "the Inso-Hyp patient group, insomnia prescribed with benzodiazepine, a longer duration of sedative-hypnotic action, and higher doses of sedative-hypnotics were significantly associated with a higher risk of depressive and anxiety disorders."

The link to the abstract is here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25766696

Is it clear to the medical community yet?

In the 22nd century if we are lucky......

thanks for posting Lapis...what a wonderful world. :)

It's mind-boggling to see these studies come out, one after the other. They almost all end with the line, "Further study is required." And I want to yell at the computer, "No, it's not! Let's take action now!" Ah, but I know it won't help. At least, we can access this info online and be informed. Knowledge is power, right? It allows us to make good decisions for ourselves.

It's mind-boggling to see these studies come out, one after the other. They almost all end with the line, "Further study is required." And I want to yell at the computer, "No, it's not! Let's take action now!" Ah, but I know it won't help. At least, we can access this info online and be informed. Knowledge is power, right? It allows us to make good decisions for ourselves.

Yep....knowledge is power and I'm still in a mess, hahaha :'(

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this Lapis.  It may not change medicines mind, but it's reassurance to those of us who suffer from the residual effects of benzos but who were told that wasn't possible.

I had 40 years of depressive "illness" due to nitrazepam which is a sleeping pill.  I was prescribed it for myoclonic epilepsy.  Now 24 months off and 18 months depression free.

Lapis

I worked in research for 20 years and it is the case that further research is always needed at the end of any study.  There are always more avenues to explore and remember that the researchers have careers to build so will be thinking of what to do next and who will fund it.  No need to get annoyed.  Just standard procedure.

All these studies will gradually have an impact as the body of evidence against benzos keeps increasing.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LF  :smitten:

Hey LF, I know and I understand! Of course you're right. It's just the frustration about inaction. I want the research to translate into change, action, improvement. I know it takes time to change things on a large scale. We can be more nimble in making smaller, more individual changes, and we have to do that. But systemic change? That takes longer. Thanks, LF, for your wise words.

I understand your immense frustration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-32041715

A report has just been published here in Scotland into a medical scandal from the 1970s and 1980s. Haemophiliac patients were given contaminated blood which infected them with hepatitis and AIDS.  The blood was taken from prisoners in the US where the FDA banned its use so it was shipped over here.  Many have died.

They are still fighting for justice.  :'( :'(

Appalling.