Exercise support group

[dr...]

did anyone on here have exercise intolerance and how long did it last?  I can't exercise.  I guess I probably could but i tried in the beginning and it made me worse.

Yes, I did.  April of 2018, I was tapering and wow, I just could NOT exercise anymore without feeling awful, and triggering migraines later in the day.  I think it was connected to my very very tight shoulder and neck muscles, as that's where my headaches seem to come from.  Anyways, I did not exercise from April- January on any regular basis.  I don't remember exactly when I started back in, but I started with just 5 minutes a day, a few days a week, and just built up from there.  I can now do a 30 minutes workout and it seems to affect me in a pretty good way.  I'm not able to do it every time for the full 30 minutes and not everyday yet, but I'm getting there.

Yes, it makes sense to start with even five minutes a day. I'm just trying to make enough steps during the day. At least 8.000-10.000. My FitBit counts the steps. Joining this group. Maybe it will motivate me to move more.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started exercising this past week. I used to run every morning before all this happened. Have tried doing it a few times since, even just a mile or two and I just feel too sick after.  I know I'll get there at some point but for now, I have to find a different stepping stone. I was gifted a stationary bike and so I started riding it just 20 minutes a day. Today was my third day. I know it doesn't sound like much but it was for me. I felt sick afterwards but then my body seems to recoup. I want to keep it up and glad I found this thread. I don't know if exercise will ease any symptoms or speed up any healing but I have to think it will help. Glad to have found you all.

I just started exercising this past week. I used to run every morning before all this happened. Have tried doing it a few times since, even just a mile or two and I just feel too sick after.  I know I'll get there at some point but for now, I have to find a different stepping stone. I was gifted a stationary bike and so I started riding it just 20 minutes a day. Today was my third day. I know it doesn't sound like much but it was for me. I felt sick afterwards but then my body seems to recoup. I want to keep it up and glad I found this thread. I don't know if exercise will ease any symptoms or speed up any healing but I have to think it will help. Glad to have found you all.

Twenty minutes on a stationary bike is one hell of a lot. Stationary bike is challenging, cause one can actually only move the legs. I like to put AirPods with the music into my ears and do some light stepping, rap dance or hip hop, while listening to the music. Just played Coolio "C U When U Get There" and my FitBit registered 45' of exercise. Once I hear the music, it gets me moving without any effort. I have a good sense of the rhythm. Just difficult to listen to the music.

Twenty minutes on a stationary bike is one hell of a lot. Stationary bike is challenging, cause one can actually only move the legs. I like to put AirPods with the music into my ears and do some light stepping, rap dance or hip hop, while listening to the music. Just played Coolio "C U When U Get There" and my FitBit registered 45' of exercise. Once I hear the music, it gets me moving without any effort. I have a good sense of the rhythm. Just difficult to listen to the music.

That is great! I wish I could listen to music right now but it does weird things to my brain when it's right in my ears; even if I turn it down. Love that song by Coolio! Haven't heard that in years :)

• 4 months later...

I am really trying hard to use exercise as way forward with my healing, 

I am fortunate that I can walk and have worked on slowly trying to increase the amount I do each day .

I have read that exercise has so many health benefits, and I do remember how good I used to feel when I was running,

That is out of the question for me now but I do try to do as much as I can even though restricted by agoraphobia brought on  by taking valium

I started with a very little but now aim at my 10.000 steps a day , some days I do less and some day I do a bit more , but early days yet at 39 days off a long difficult taper,

At 74 I feel it especially important to keep my muscles strong which have suffered during my withdrawal and to help prevent depression, which this drug seems to bring on. 

Hopefully it will also help with sleep which was never a problem before valium but is now, and also  maybe help deal with my original underlying anxiety which is now 100 times worse than the original

I am thinking I might invest in a fit bit to encourage me further and make sure I don't over do things, but not sure which to get,  or how they work.

Any advice would be great , 

Jen

Jen I'm so glad to see you here. Please don't over do it. When I do it revs up my symptoms. You don't think you're better but trust me, you sound much better than a month ago 💙🙏🍀

I am really trying hard to use exercise as way forward with my healing, 

I am fortunate that I can walk and have worked on slowly trying to increase the amount I do each day .

I have read that exercise has so many health benefits, and I do remember how good I used to feel when I was running,

That is out of the question for me now but I do try to do as much as I can even though restricted by agoraphobia brought on  by taking valium

I started with a very little but now aim at my 10.000 steps a day , some days I do less and some day I do a bit more , but early days yet at 39 days off a long difficult taper,

At 74 I feel it especially important to keep my muscles strong which have suffered during my withdrawal and to help prevent depression, which this drug seems to bring on. 

Hopefully it will also help with sleep which was never a problem before valium but is now, and also  maybe help deal with my original underlying anxiety which is now 100 times worse than the original

I am thinking I might invest in a fit bit to encourage me further and make sure I don't over do things, but not sure which to get,  or how they work.

Any advice would be great , 

Jen

I'm a huge fan of Fitbit for recording the steps. It really motivates one to move. And the result in terms of a better mood can be seen instantly.

However, it cheats on the sleep data. It tells you that you had like 1-2 hrs less of sleep than you actually did. But one can take it off for sleep. As far as the model goes, Fitbit Charge III has the best reviews so far. I'm placing a link, cause it's something I use to get healthier. So I think this kind of links is allowed. Not really sure, though. There are lots of cheaper fitness trackers with great reviews, so you can browse a bit.

Fitbit is also useful to learn mindful breathing. One can just sit quietly for five minutes and lower the heart rate by taking slower and deeper breaths. The screen will automatically show how the heartbeat gets lower. It's great for better focus and relaxation.

Doing the steps is just a form of exercise. The rule of thumb is to do 250 steps each hour of the day. One may place earphones with some self-help book in one's ears and do light household chores. Or a relaxation podcast/music. The Fitbit is also useful if one doesn't use the car much.

Val, thanks for bumping up this thread. Have a good day Everyone here.

Estee this is such useful info on the fitbit! I didn't know it helped with breathing exercises. I might consider getting one.

Estee sorry I didn't answer when you commented on my review of GP's beautfiul travel wear. I wanted to answer you and then I got busy doing something and I forgot but I appreciated you dropping by and ckuckling with our little fashion incursions.

Exercise wise: I stopped doing the splits, planks and exercises with elastic bands because I was in so much pain plus my mental symptoms are really bad and I just walk. I hope my symptoms become manageable again to the point of wanting to go back to my exercise routine. Wishing everyone good health and healing.

Hey exercise support group members!

For me, I was fortunate enough to buy a 40kg barbell (a 20kg bar with 2 10kg plates) that I lift in the morning and night just before bed.

I punch out 20 reps when I wake, and 20 before bed.

Getting better, but ever so slowly.

Dave.  8)

For me, I was fortunate enough to buy a 40kg barbell (a 20kg bar with 2 10kg plates) that I lift in the morning and night just before bed.

Dave.  8)

Dave, after this confession you are officially our security guy. I think you're the strongest in our little group. We can all take turns to hold your towel while you lift  :laugh:

Dave.  8)

Dave, after this confession you are officially our security guy. I think you're the strongest in our little group. We can all take turns to hold your towel while you lift  :laugh:

Welcome Dave. Sounds really impressive!

We badly need role models, for sure. I feel glued to my chair again.

Even the Fitbit on my wrist doesn't motivate me to get up ;D

Thank you so much Estee for the information on the Fitbit, I will look into it.

I had hoped the sleep monitoring would be accurate but I guess it is roughly based on movement so if  you lie very still it probably thinks you are sleeping and vice versa,

I would love to be able to afford those that can monitor BP. but well I can do that separately if need be

Interesting about the breathing,

I am probably guilty of over doing it already as I am still in acute , but I find exercise is my best distraction tool  and going for a walk in the fresh air by the golf course at the end of my road is better than inside the house,

I think I walked about 4 miles today according to my phone but I don't carry it with me in the house so it's probably  more

I used to love running but I think I have a long way to go before I could manage that again,

I have a static indoor bike but somehow that doesn't appeal,

Thank you Vali,  you might well be right about me perhaps doing a little too much exercise at the moment,  but it gives me such a good outlet, and it's the only time I leave the house without massive fear.

I will however try to be a bit wiser in future if I can

I really do not feel any better though , I am very much in acute, and the symptoms have ramped up massively ,

Tinnitus is driving me mad it's so very loud and multi toned, lots of fear and so very numb,  I am hoping though that the walking will at least lift my mood as valium and tapering can make you so down and depressed, 

I think it one of the best things we can do to help recovery, , but of course gearing it to individual needs and tastes

even if its just gentle stretching, 

I wish I could exercise my ears into health , 

I can't think for the noise, 

Thank you so much Estee for the information on the Fitbit, I will look into it.

I had hoped the sleep monitoring would be accurate but I guess it is roughly based on movement so if  you lie very still it probably thinks you are sleeping and vice versa,

I would love to be able to afford those that can monitor BP. but well I can do that separately if need be

Interesting about the breathing,

I am probably guilty of over doing it already as I am still in acute , but I find exercise is my best distraction tool  and going for a walk in the fresh air by the golf course at the end of my road is better than inside the house,

I think I walked about 4 miles today according to my phone but I don't carry it with me in the house so it's probably  more

I used to love running but I think I have a long way to go before I could manage that again,

I have a static indoor bike but somehow that doesn't appeal,

Hey Chinchuck. The sleep monitoring really is accurate. It registers all the phases of sleep if you get above 3 hrs. But the Fitbit somehow tells you that you get less sleep than you really do. And it can be frustrating. I set my sleep goal to 4 hrs.

I must get like 7-8 hrs, but it's rarely in a row. I just sleep when I can. I sometimes take a nap with my Kitty after work. During the day. I can even get some work done at night for the next day if I cannot sleep. My work consists in writing, so I don't have to be available all day. Plus I work from home, on my computer. I can usually catch up on sleep during the day. I stopped obsessing about sleep and it helps. My circadian rhythm has been screwed up since I can remember, even before the BZD.

I guess Fitbit helps to reestablish the connection between Mind and Body. The psych meds somehow make one lose this connection, I'm afraid. I'm wearing my tracker all the time. Something that has a link directly to your heart is like an amulet.

Breathing is more indispensable to life than the BZD, right? Each time an anxiety wave comes, just focus on the breath. And the sensations in the Body. Where in the Body is the fear located? For me, it's usually in my abdomen, my jaw, my left arm and the left side of my neck. Mindful breathing chases the fear out of the abdomen. It fills it with air. I can hear my belly talking to me when I breathe. It is a sign that the stress is leaving. Anxiety contracts everything in the body, all the muscles. Breathing helps to relieve it.

Breathing makes one feel more connected to Nature. Inhale - Hold - Exhale. I placed a link in my post above. The Brain gets oxygen so the cognitive processes become better. One gets more focused. I'm trying to practice mindful breathing while writing to you, actually. My Kitty is laying next to me and she's so calm. She''s perfectly attuned to Nature. There is complete harmony between her Mind and Body. She has just started Meowga on her scratching mat ;D I tend to live in my Mind, cause my CPTSD took over at some point. There is no need to think. Just breathe. And observe the sensations in the Body. Mindful breathing heals.

When you go for walks, do you feel like you are part of Nature? And how healing this is? Do you focus on the outside? Instead of focusing on your thoughts?  I may sound like a psycho. I'd better shut up... But this is exactly what helps me.

I'm sorry about the tinnitus. I have oversensitivity to the noise. But no tinnitus. Also walked several miles and burnt all those cals finally. I walk in the afternoon/evening and in the early morning. But I prefer the morning walks, as there are almost no people around. Just me and the Nature. And I go for these walks on my own.

Forgot to mention for anyone who's interested in a Fitbit tracker.

Please get one with guided breathing sessions. Then do at least 5 minutes of mindful breathing a day while sitting still and staying put. Not doing anything but the deep breathing.

I currently have the Fitbit Versa 2. It has these breathing sessions. But the Charge models do as well, and they are cheaper. One can see how the heart works on it's screen. You can see how it works

, just forward the vid to 6' 30''.

Thank you so much for all the information Estee

I have had a look on you tube link about the  fitbit versa 2,  It seems a great amulet ,

Trouble is my anxiety state is so high at the moment that trying to take on board all the set up ,connection to my phone etc is  a bit much for me at the moment, I do get upset about that,  I had hoped that by 6 weeks off on Saturday I might be starting to feel a tiny little bit calmer, but then that is over optimistic considering how I have been for many months  both on and tapering off valium.

Does the tracker do a reasonable  job and does that have to be set up in the same manner?

If I could find someone to do the setting up then I would definitely like to use one

Great advice  Estee

Thank you

Thank you so much for all the information Estee

I have had a look on you tube link about the  fitbit versa 2,  It seems a great amulet ,

Trouble is my anxiety state is so high at the moment that trying to take on board all the set up ,connection to my phone etc is  a bit much for me at the moment, I do get upset about that,  I had hoped that by 6 weeks off on Saturday I might be starting to feel a tiny little bit calmer, but then that is over optimistic considering how I have been for many months  both on and tapering off valium.

Does the tracker do a reasonable  job and does that have to be set up in the same manner?

If I could find someone to do the setting up then I would definitely like to use one

Great advice  Estee

Thank you

There are YouTube vids for setting the Bluetooth connection between the mobile and the tracker. I didn't have any problem with it, as I have other stuff which can be connected to my iPhone.

I'm sorry it's so bad for you. Someone would have to help if you bought the tracker through Amazon, definitely. Idk why, but I have to set up Bluetooth each time after I wake up. I'm not good at IT. I didn't have this problem with a cheaper Fitbit version, go figure...

I find the sleep function useful. I often fall asleep at night/during the day before taking any supplements etc. Then I cannot remember which hour I fell asleep. The BZD have destroyed so much of my memory, it really sucks. And I'm quite OCD about getting enough sleep. This got me hooked on the BZD in the first place.

Hang around Chinchuck. I still have to do many steps today. Why does it feel so good to sit with one's bottom glued to the chair, looking at the PC screen. Not sure, really.

If I lived in the country, I'd probably go for walks more often. I have loved walking since I can remember. But this is a big city, lots of people and noise everywhere.

I have restricted my walking a little today down to 2 miles outside, I have no idea how much inside, as I have said I don't carry my phone. I want to do more but perhaps I am pushing it a little just now considering it's early days.

I am eager to walk though and at least see green around me. I am fortunate that there is some at the end of the road,  and I have found a small track which eventually leads to a stream, You have to be able to balance well along there as the path has been eroded, but then again it is surely good for an older person to challenge their balancing skills as long as I don't fall in the water.  I have escaped having the boaty feeling when walking so for that I am thankful , It will be a nice walk when the weather improves and my agoraphobia dies down,, so far I have been sticking to set route, , The neighbours must think I am mad, or else I am the neighbourhood watch.

I have been reading a book about the benefits of exercise called Spark by  John J Ratey , It is a good read and re enforces what I have often thought, but forgot to implement when I went to the Doctors instead of going back to exercise in whatever  form suit you personally.

Thank you for the advice re the fit bit  mmmm  I don't think  I would want to keep resetting blue tooth every morning, 

I have only just progressed to a smart phone 2 months ago ,before that I had a cell phone that belongs in a  museum for curiosities.

I have recently had to set up a new lap top which would not normally challenge me, but with my brain having lost the power to think clearly and panic for ever bubbling away  it was a nightmare, . In the end I had to have help from my son who lives many miles away. Amazing how it can be done that way ,

I sat and watched as he loaded thing from his end,  sorted my problems , all remotely done,

Pity you can't do that with a fit bit, and  better still my benzo brain.

I really do want to get back into health again , 

Thank you so much Estee

Dave.  8)

LOL  :laugh:  :2funny:

Love this Valium!  :)

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna sound a little sanctimonious maybe BUT exercise is honestly the BEST thing I have done to feel better this whole f-ing taper.

I ran for 33 mins, did weights and feel SO much better now.

I was very, very exercise phobic and read posts where people said any working out made them feel worse and that could def be the case for some people but thankfully it only helps me feel good and obviously look better. People talk about losing muscle mass here a lot - one fix? Free weights, push ups, anything.

Some days I do not want to exercise, but I just deal and do it.

Since working out most every day I have not had ear ringing, brain fog, fatigue or anxiety surges. Literally. None. Symptoms are WAY better. I am 90% today. If I didn't have to squirt liquid Valium in my mouth, i wouldn't even know i was tapering.

Everyone should do what they can but I found I can do more than I thought...I was freaked out to get on the treadmill and today I ran like I used to, same speed, same sweat. Every day I add a few more minutes and this week should be back at 45 mins of running, the old me.

Isn't that what we all want? The "old" us?

Just wanted to share that - it has helped me  A LOT.

Thanks Soberhope this is the pretty close to what I'm trying to do. Aprx 210-220- cardio per week. Been at it a couple years so it's not too difficult for me. I read where doing vigorous exercise increases gabba naturally and that should help ease taper effects. At least I'm hoping so.

• 1 year later...

Today I managed to go for a half hour walk, I was convinced during this hell taper (number 3) I was never going to be able to get out for a walk or enjoy it ever again after spending so much time house bound, and in bed in agony but I did and it was lovely, even if I only managed to get out for a minute today that would have been miraculous, but I managed a whole half hour I am beyond grateful for this  🙏🏽

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Today I managed to go for a half hour walk, I was convinced during this hell taper (number 3) I was never going to be able to get out for a walk or enjoy it ever again after spending so much time house bound, and in bed in agony but I did and it was lovely, even if I only managed to get out for a minute today that would have been miraculous, but I managed a whole half hour I am beyond grateful for this  🙏🏽

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

That is such a good post Nova  :D. So happy for you!!  :smitten:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello exercise people!

I am nearing the last 6 months of this taper (fingers crossed).

I used to run 3x a week and do long cycling rides.

As of now, I manage a very gentle stretching yoga video daily.

I feel so weak. Nutrition is difficult but I am working on eating more.

I wanted to work in some weights to maintain muscle mass of some sort.

How low? How slow?

I have 8lb weights. I have done air squats for the past few days - just 2 sets of 5.

My heart rate shoots up, but I just rest afterwards.

Is there a baby steps guide to starting to exercise again? (I guess specifically weights? Or strength)

I walked 0.3 miles last night and had to work on mindfulness exercises to keep calm. 😬