Exercise support group

[dr...]

Good to see that some of you are progressing well with exercise and makes me really jealous.  Unfortunately, I had to back off a little and that's unfortunate because it's the only few things I enjoy during this process.

Although started getting withdrawal symptoms from exercise while I was on Clonopin (slight sleep disturbance and body vibrations at least for 24 hrs),  these symptoms now last for days after I exercise and include anxiety, vibrations, heart palpitations, insomnia, racing thoughts etc....

The last time I went hard at the gym over a month ago, symptoms went off the roof.  Since then, I've been doing pushups, pullups, leg strengthening exercise, abs and stuff at home.  But I really want to get back to playing sports and REAL exercising because that's what I did all my life and I feel weak and old now that it's been taken away from me.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see that some of you are progressing well with exercise and makes me really jealous.  Unfortunately, I had to back off a little and that's unfortunate because it's the only few things I enjoy during this process.

Although started getting withdrawal symptoms from exercise while I was on Clonopin (slight sleep disturbance and body vibrations at least for 24 hrs),  these symptoms now last for days after I exercise and include anxiety, vibrations, heart palpitations, insomnia, racing thoughts etc....

The last time I went hard at the gym over a month ago, symptoms went off the roof.  Since then, I've been doing pushups, pullups, leg strengthening exercise, abs and stuff at home.  But I really want to get back to playing sports and REAL exercising because that's what I did all my life and I feel weak and old now that it's been taken away from me.

I was just thinking this today that I miss my intense workouts. I can only walk now but I suppose I should be grateful as some can’t do that. But if I work out too hard my body feels uptight for days and it’s a feeling I can’t describe, maybe vibrating is right, but can’t sleep either. So you find that strength training doesn’t affect you too much? This is on my list this week to see if push-ups and squats etc. won’t cause symptoms. I hung a canopy over my daughter’s Bed yesterday and I guess because I was straining a lot to reach the ceiling and the stress of being dizzy on the ladder and how I didn’t want to fall, my sx are intense today. Anxiety and can’t stop shaking. I remember not long ago when intense workouts were great and prevented symptoms. You just never know with this drug. I just skipped around the house to get some energy before a work call and I did feel old ugh. I’m so stiff. Gotta stay active I am not ready to be in a walker yet lol.

Hope everyone is doing well!

A few things that have been working for me and give me some positive feeling of movement without being a full-blown workout:

very light shadow boxing, pilates, balance challenges (e.g. walking on a low beam), slow moving tai chi, unstructured dance, meditation (4-7-8 breaths), hot sauna, walking stairs

Mountaintop

You're right.  Even if I don't go easy on the pushups and leg strengthening exercises, my symptoms would flare up.    But I realized that at the expense of some minimal symptoms, I have to keep my body moving because I started feeling vegetated.

But the leg strengthening exercises are not bad and the same as I did from acl recovery.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8kzoAx8VkU. 

Checking back.  Still rough going but tried the Tai chi and meditation.  Thank you Mirabelis.  Love the fluid slow movements of tai chi.  When I have a tolerable moment...whatever that is, I do meditate with depak chopra.  Was surprised that I could do it for 15 minutes or so.  Have been experimenting with meditating myself out of some symptoms.  God...I will try anything!!!  Keep on moving everybody.

Sorry to hear that it is rough going, but glad to hear that tai chi and meditation is useful Doveluv!  A less involved version of the meditation is 4-7-8 breathing where you focus on breathing while breathing in for four seconds, holding for 7 seconds and breathing out for 8 seconds. That can sometimes get me out of withdrawal-induced panic attacks or negative spirals of inner voice chatter.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to pop by here and say I finally feel like I am able to get a good feeling from exercise again, at 5 months off.  I am modifying my workouts to be shorter and less intense, but I am doing a good 15-20 minutes of cardio about 3-4 times a week now.  And in the last two weeks, I have started to feel that sort of runner's high feeling that you get from doing cardio.  I honestly hadn't felt that in a long long time. 

I have a long way to go with getting back into shape, but this good feeling makes the exercise so much more rewarding!!! 

I just wanted to pop by here and say I finally feel like I am able to get a good feeling from exercise again, at 5 months off.  I am modifying my workouts to be shorter and less intense, but I am doing a good 15-20 minutes of cardio about 3-4 times a week now.  And in the last two weeks, I have started to feel that sort of runner's high feeling that you get from doing cardio.  I honestly hadn't felt that in a long long time. 

I have a long way to go with getting back into shape, but this good feeling makes the exercise so much more rewarding!!!

You have done so well GreenCup, and become a moderator.  You are pretty amazing  :):D

Glad to hear GreenCup! I know what you mean and I miss that feeling myself. am steadily walking and cannot do anything intense if I want to sleep so just doing what I can. I think my dose is now .069 on the microtaper. I look forward to intense workouts again. Slowly but surely...

Great to hear Greencup! That is exciting news! And spring/summer is coming so hopefully those of us that have endured a long winter can get some sun.

Mirabilis and anybody else....wanted to update on progress with Tai Chi.  In this weakened state, I found these slow movements good for my brain and body.  It's like meditation while standing and slowly moving.  It's working for me!  My muscles are so screwed up that these slow movements cause some muscle soreness.  Jeez..my body has a long way to go.  Still struggling with how I got here.  4 months out and hanging tough.  Take care

I’ll have to try this. I’m still just walking. I find that even on days where I feel horrible getting out to walk helps. Maybe I can find some YouTube videos on Thai Chi.

Congrats Greencup,

wow,  a coincidence or what?.  I too came to this thread to actually write that I started tolerating exercise much better about 4 weeks ago (5 months post withdrawal) and will be hitting 6 months in 4 days.  No more of vibrations, induced insomnia, extreme anxiety and de-realization for days post exercise.  I just had to wait for a few weeks before announcing to make sure I don't make a fool out of myself.  I now exercise 3 times a week on average 1.5 - 2 hours of cardio, weight lifting, strengthening, agility, and balance exercise because I've realized how much I lost stamina, strength and balance.  Starting too feel more optimistic about my journey!!

Hey REqcrg me!

That's awesome for you too!  I am 5 1/2 months off now and exercise is more regular for me.  I will say that my muscle tone is very bad and I think I have a lot of muscles that have turned mostly to fat.  I have started doing some mild strength training, but it is very challenging.  I feel so little strength when I try to use my muscles.  I do love the good feeling exercise has started giving me and I think also it makes me less hungry, at least for a little while. 

Hello all! It's encouraging to see this thread as I'm hoping to implement exercise into my daily routine, especially now that I'm in withdrawal and have been spending so much time at home. I bought a bike but my current struggles with anxiety proved to be too much in terms of riding it outdoors. I set it up on a trainer instead and am just waiting to get a seat that's comfortable, but again, not being able to leave the house for extended periods of time has set things back as I cannot walk to a bike shop and choose one in store. Does anyone else struggle with exercise and limitations set by anxiety? Not leaving the house at all? Most days my anxiety is very high and my activity level incredibly low. I know there's a correlation between the two but it's hard to snap out of it.

Greetings Members of The Exercise Support Group,

First time posting here, it is helpful to see others here are using movement as a way to stay healthy while tapering and to know I am not the only one who is challenged by exercise fatigue.

I have always been a strong active person my whole life enjoying outdoor activities like hiking, skiing, biking, etc.

The exercise fatigue caught me by surprise.  I feel strong enough to do it, but afterwards if I even slightly overdue it, I pay in the form of extreme fatigue and my main symptom of stomach upset that can last for two to three days or more. 

It doesn't seem to be related in my case to physical strength but rather to something in the brain that responds differently to exercise while being on benzos.

I'm learning to moderate my activities by doing every other day, either walking three miles or taking a 90 minute moderately challenging yoga class.

I still think exercise is important to overall health along with eating a nutritious diet, being in nature and connecting with supportive people.

I'm learning to accept a reduced amount of exercise as it doesn't seem I have a choice at this time.  Hoping my stamina and energy will return in the future. 

Good work to those of you doing the best you can to keep moving while tapering.  I look forward to encouraging each other here.

Salud!

Luey

@[Gr...]

I agree about everything you said.  I have also lost some muscle mass and have to catch my breath every 15 minutes which is unusual for me.  Like you said,  I can actually now eat because I get hungry rather than just for survival.  Hang in there, I'm sure we'll get there slowly!

@[De...]

I mostly couldn't leave the house for 4.5 months because of anxiety.  I also couldn't tolerate exercise because it was blowing up insomnia, anxiety, ans other physical and mental symptoms.  So what I did was I did what ever I can in the house like jumping jacks, push ups, abs etc just to get my heart rate up and get some sweats.  The secret is to take it easy and do it in an environment you feel comfortable.  Your body will tell you when you're ready.  I also ate a balanced diet that included lots of fruits and vegetables and started seeing more drastic change.  Hope this helps.

@[Lu...]

Yes, all the symptoms you mentioned are a result of Benzo withdrawal.  Although I'm tolerating exercise a lot better,  I breath so hard at the gym that I have to take quick breaks and sip of water to not embarass myself.  It's a process and I'm feeling better every week so you'll eventually get there too.  Hang in there.

I've started to do 32 push ups and 88 jumping jacks and stretches etc every morning....basically tapering up my work outs and adding a little bit more slowly.

I used to work out like crazy pre-taper and became very exercise-paranoid, but glad I am doing it. I want to add hot yoga back in...at the start of my taper I was able to complete the 30 day challenge but haven't been back in weeks. I did two classes a while ago and felt so much better after but then got warned that all the sweating was detoxing the Valium out of my body and that was a bad thing so that scared me off...but I do miss it.

Any thoughts on sweating too much being harmful while tapering. I am at a low dose now (1.78mg V) and going slower...these low doses stink btw!

Sober Hope,  I'm so happy for you that you're pushing so hard to get you to the next level. I also started doing those exercises in the house and eating a balanced diet and avoiding alcohol, caffeine, sugar etc....that I started feeling like I was reclaiming my life and not just wait for things to get back.  If I didn't do that, I realized my depression was taking control of my body, mind, and soul.

@[RE...]

Thanks for your words of support and encouragement.  Although still frustrating for me when I am used to being more active, it helps to understand that fatigue is a common form of Benzo withdrawal. I still have a long time left to go so must accept what I am able to do for now and be grateful on days when I can get out and not feel exhausted afterwards.

@REcrg and GreenCup:

Good job both of you for making the effort to do moderate exercise, listening to your body- building endurance and strength little by little.  Its encouraging to see your progress.  I believe if you keep going, your health and quality of life will continue to improve.

@SoberHope:

I'm not sure about sweating in the hot yoga classes.  If it doesn't feel good, maybe a more gentle yoga class without the heated room would be easier on your system to start.  I have been going to yoga classes once or twice a week and find the combination of breathing, using all of my different muscles and lengthening the spine feels good for my body.

For all of us, it seems listening to our bodies, doing exercise we enjoy and giving ourselves time to heal and rest works the best. 

Sending encouragement to all to keep moving and taking care of ourselves.

Luey

I've started to do 32 push ups and 88 jumping jacks and stretches etc every morning....basically tapering up my work outs and adding a little bit more slowly.

I used to work out like crazy pre-taper and became very exercise-paranoid, but glad I am doing it. I want to add hot yoga back in...at the start of my taper I was able to complete the 30 day challenge but haven't been back in weeks. I did two classes a while ago and felt so much better after but then got warned that all the sweating was detoxing the Valium out of my body and that was a bad thing so that scared me off...but I do miss it.

Any thoughts on sweating too much being harmful while tapering. I am at a low dose now (1.78mg V) and going slower...these low doses stink btw!

Following

I’m getting very fatigued from walking. By the end of a mile or two I feel so light headed and see Stars. But I feel better later and overall so I’ll keep it up. When I’ve held for days or weeks that symptom has gone away so I’m sure it will this time too. It feels lame to get so dizzy walking but it is what it is I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna sound a little sanctimonious maybe BUT exercise is honestly the BEST thing I have done to feel better this whole f-ing taper.

I ran for 33 mins, did weights and feel SO much better now.

I was very, very exercise phobic and read posts where people said any working out made them feel worse and that could def be the case for some people but thankfully it only helps me feel good and obviously look better. People talk about losing muscle mass here a lot - one fix? Free weights, push ups, anything.

Some days I do not want to exercise, but I just deal and do it.

Since working out most every day I have not had ear ringing, brain fog, fatigue or anxiety surges. Literally. None. Symptoms are WAY better. I am 90% today. If I didn't have to squirt liquid Valium in my mouth, i wouldn't even know i was tapering.

Everyone should do what they can but I found I can do more than I thought...I was freaked out to get on the treadmill and today I ran like I used to, same speed, same sweat. Every day I add a few more minutes and this week should be back at 45 mins of running, the old me.

Isn't that what we all want? The "old" us?

Just wanted to share that - it has helped me  A LOT.