Author Topic: Exercise support group  (Read 122705 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Exercise support group
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 05:03:15 am »
Hi Mo

I couldn't do any exercise for the first several months of my taper. When I was able to start exercising it was at a very low level and my exercise capability increased at an excruciatingly slow rate. Here's a link to my piece on exercise in benzo withdrawal where I mention my details. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=129461.10;last_msg=1723444

I'm a long time bodybuilder. Benzos took me down to the proverbial "weak as a kitten" state but it all came back and I feel the process of gradually increasing duration and intensity mightily aided my recovery. I feel that with exercise in benzo withdrawal you really have to avoid overdoing it. Just keep making very small gains.
Good luck with your workouts.

[...]

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 06:39:15 am »
[...], ...I remember you from when I first came on. How are you doing now? ....[...] that's not too off topic...just wanted to say hi ..nice to see you....[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 07:02:54 am »
Hey man
I'm fine so long as I don't party too hearty. My strength levels and exercise tolerance eventually came back but it did take a long time. I remember you as well. How's things?
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 08:50:17 am »
Hi
If you would accept someone who has such minimal goals re exercise I would love to join. its not exactly exercise but this is my plan- I bought a small device that counts how many steps I make every day. I attach it to my cloths. My goal is just to walk more everyday - it could be walking for shopping or walking along the beach or just not taking the car somewhere and walking. The idea is to get out of the house and to increase walking. I keep making decisions about it- but don't follow regularly . If this turn  out to be a place to report progress on a regular basis- I may want to try and share how well I did with walking. Any how it will encourage me to walk today. Great idea for a thread !
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 10:22:16 am »
 I was just thinking about exercise today.

I am in a wave, avery bad one, and honestly, I am too terrified to do any real exercise. LAst year this time, I did so much more, I don't understand why now is worse. That said,  I bike rather regularly, but there is no big effort involved, there are no hills. Still, I can bike less now, than a year ago, or 6 months ago.

I am 43, I cted and before that, I did not have a regular routine. I liked to swim, take very long walks and very long bike rides. One day, soon I [...], I want to get into more serious stuff. I would love to run, I love running, really do.

But for now, that is a no-no.

But from what I see here, we are really all different. Look forward to hearing your insights on the topic. :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 12:52:48 pm »
I love this thread idea - thank you [...]. I am 31 years old, a life long runner. I used to do martial arts and dance, but that felt sideways for now. I have been running all through my taper - I made a commitment that I would run 4-5 times/week, health permitting, before starting my taper. Some days were downright impossible, so I took a week off here and there.

I actually ran my first half-marathon two weeks before my jump. I was super proud of that. I strongly believe that if exercise can be put in a pill form, it would be the most prescribed pill on the planet. I definitely think it helped to keep me more sane as I worked full time. I just quit my job because we are moving to the west coast to the east coast.

Last week I ran 5 times and did a dance class :) It's supposed to get warmer here today, so I am looking forward to a nice LSD run (long slow distance  :thumbsup:).

Lastly, for my insomniac friends. I just finished reading a book on insomnia, and it strongly recommends exercise for better sleep (but not too close to bedtime). Apparently one of the things that signal sleep is a drop in body temps, and insomniacs often have problems with the body temp dropping. Exercise induces the temp drop, because we raise it when we exercise. Just an FYI.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 03:01:08 pm »
I started going to the gym every morning since the first day of school for my kids in August. I give it so much credit for improvement. I was largely bedridden for years and my body a mess, weak as a kitten. I don't do a ton but a brisk walk for a mile, alternating 30 second jogs when I can, on an incline with hand weights does it for me. I literally drag myself there because mornings are hard and I feel awful. I come home, shower and go back to bed. Exhausted but I think it really helps. There were years when I was in tolerance and interdose withdrawal when any exercise made me much worse, so you really have to start small and experiment and create a routine.

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 04:39:45 pm »
Hi
If you would accept someone who has such minimal goals re exercise I would love to join. its not exactly exercise but this is my plan- I bought a small device that counts how many steps I make every day. I attach it to my cloths. My goal is just to walk more everyday - it could be walking for shopping or walking along the beach or just not taking the car somewhere and walking. The idea is to get out of the house and to increase walking. I keep making decisions about it- but don't follow regularly . If this turn  out to be a place to report progress on a regular basis- I may want to try and share how well I did with walking. Any how it will encourage me to walk today. Great idea for a thread !
[...]

Everyone trying to do something positive for themself is welcome here.  If you can only take ten steps that if fine.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 04:41:07 pm »
Everyone posting here-I just want to repeat please post here anything you want in ways of daily goals, challenges you may need help with, or anything related to exercise while in benzoland to help others. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 04:47:44 pm »
I love this thread idea - thank you [...]. I am 31 years old, a life long runner. I used to do martial arts and dance, but that felt sideways for now. I have been running all through my taper - I made a commitment that I would run 4-5 times/week, health permitting, before starting my taper. Some days were downright impossible, so I took a week off here and there.

I actually ran my first half-marathon two weeks before my jump. I was super proud of that. I strongly believe that if exercise can be put in a pill form, it would be the most prescribed pill on the planet. I definitely think it helped to keep me more sane as I worked full time. I just quit my job because we are moving to the west coast to the east coast.

Last week I ran 5 times and did a dance class :) It's supposed to get warmer here today, so I am looking forward to a nice LSD run (long slow distance  :thumbsup:).

Lastly, for my insomniac friends. I just finished reading a book on insomnia, and it strongly recommends exercise for better sleep (but not too close to bedtime). Apparently one of the things that signal sleep is a drop in body temps, and insomniacs often have problems with the body temp dropping. Exercise induces the temp drop, because we raise it when we exercise. Just an FYI.

Not to be a contrarian, but when I do endurance exercise (>85% max heart rate) for many continuous hours, I raise my metabolic rate for a straight 48 hr which causes continuous heat output, during that interval. My skin is super hot and stays that way until my metabolism drops back down at the end of the 48 hr period. More moderate exercise intensity doesnt elicit a sustained metabolic rate increase, but the big/lomg pushes leave me very hot for 2 solid nights, making it hard to sleep due to the heat. As an effective treatment, I soaked (surfed) in the cold winter ocean yesterday for several hours, which was effective in getting my body temp down. Slept like a baby afterwords. :)

And [...], I am also 46 years old.