Help with titration taper please!

[An...]

I have been on Lorazepam since November 08.  Originally given to me by former doctor to help with side effects of going  on to antidepressants.  However he believed a low dose of antidepressant was enough....so my anxiety & depression continued.  He kept giving me 2.5mg tablets, I was adamant I did not want them - but he said it was ok for anxiety.  I realised this was all wrong and in March went to a new doctor who was not happy!  I managed to get down to 1mg myself, and the doctor has been very helpful, gradually putting me on Sertraline up to 125mg - which is helping me quite a lot in the 6 weeks I have taken it.  He now asked me to start cutting down on the Lorazepam, suggesting I took only one dose a day....this was awful! I have started filing the tabs down but can never get an even dose.  I have been taking a half tablet in the morning and half late in the afternoon. I cannot believe how hard this is....but I would really like to find a less painful way of stopping them. Please help!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [An...]

• [Co...]

• [Pa...]

• [Th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been on Lorazepam since November 08.  Originally given to me by former doctor to help with side effects of going  on to antidepressants.  However he believed a low dose of antidepressant was enough....so my anxiety & depression continued.  He kept giving me 2.5mg tablets, I was adamant I did not want them - but he said it was ok for anxiety.  I realised this was all wrong and in March went to a new doctor who was not happy!  I managed to get down to 1mg myself, and the doctor has been very helpful, gradually putting me on Sertraline up to 125mg - which is helping me quite a lot in the 6 weeks I have taken it.   He now asked me to start cutting down on the Lorazepam, suggesting I took only one dose a day....this was awful! I have started filing the tabs down but can never get an even dose.  I have been taking a half tablet in the morning and half late in the afternoon. I cannot believe how hard this is....but I would really like to find a less painful way of stopping them. Please help!

Hi Annie6,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!!

Lorazepam normally is taken at least 2X/day and usually 3X/day. What size pills do you have? Most are able to cut their .50mg pills into 1/4s and reduce by that amount every week or two (most prefer 2 weeks). If those cuts become intolerable, you can do titration. Titration involves crushing your pill and mixing it with milk and reducing by a small amount every day.

Here is the information that is needed to make up a titration schedule...http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=11093.0  I bought my cylinder on line at sciencestuff.com

If you have any questions, just ask!! We'll be here!!

T2 :smitten:

Hi, thanks for reply ....I have been taking half a 1mg lorazepam once in the morning and once late afternoon. I have small blue 1mg tabs which break in half easily, but  now I am trying to taper more I am finding it difficult to quarter them.  I am currently shaving a bit off each dose, but am finding it difficult to assess how much I've taken off.  Am also finding the anxiety a bit much in mornings esp. I want to come off gradually and slowly, as I seem to get withdrawls quite badly. So I thought a titration taper might suit me in 3 doses a day...?  Or have I got it wrong?  Have read titration taper and understand it.  So could put one together for me as I badly want to rid myself of this unwanted addiction.

Thanks

Annie6 ???

Hi Annie,

We still need a bit more information from you.

Start date:

Taper rate: if you are unsure, ask for the input of others. The majority of people probably titrate at a rate of about 10% of their dose every 7-14 days. If you are unsure of where to start, and unless you have good reason to think you need a particularly slow taper, 1% per day is probably a good starting point. The taper plan can be altered later if need be.

Also, just to clarify, You take a total of 1mg lorazepam a day, split up in two doses daily, yes?

TC :)

Hi again, yes, I take 1mg of Lorazepam split in 2 doses per day.

I would like to start a.s.a.p. 25th April ok? 

If that is the norm then 1% is fine. 

Thanks

Annie6

Thanks Annie!

Colin will take a look at this later, probably tomorrow. We'll have it ready for you by the 25th.

I think you will do fine with the 1% taper rate. It's the nature of the smoother wd of liquid titration (making tiny daily cuts rather than chunkier weekly cuts) that will help you. Remember, it can always be easily adjusted slower of faster. 

Thanks sooooo much - this has been worrying me and hindering my progress in recovery from anxiety & depression.  Look forward to hearing

Annie6

Sorry Annie,

I mixed you up with Hushplease, also due to start on the 25th. I've drawn up a schedule for you starting today: http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-annie6-2009-04-26.html

Please add the following code to your signature in your profile:

[url=http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-annie6-2009-04-26.html][u]My Titration Schedule[/u][/url].

Be sure to print off your schedule in case you cannot access here for any reason.

Be sure to titrate just one of your two daily tablets, and take or divide up the second pill as deem fit. You can split up your liquid into two or more smaller doses too. Once you have completed titrating your first pill, then start to titrate your second pill.

Always make-up 100ml of liquid using one whole pill. Drink only from the 100ml what's indicated by the schedule.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions.

Hi Colin - thanks a million...I would just like to check - I take a 1mg tablet split as 2 doses per day...so this means I titrate half a tablet and take the other half later in the day?

Grateful for your help in this.

Annie

Hi Annie,

I thought you took two tablets. let me look at this. I'll post a new schedule within 30 mins. Would you like the schedule to start today or tomorrow?

Hi,

I've gone for today as your start date. If you prefer to start tomorrow, simply start from the dose stated for tomorrow - it will make no noticeable difference.

Your titration schedule: http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-annie6-2009-04-27.html

Add the following code to your signature:

[url=http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-annie6-2009-04-27.html][u]My Titration Schedule[/u][/url].

To add the code in your signature, read this: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9432.0

Sorry to be thick - but how do I add my signature to my profile?

You're not thick, Annie.  There's nothing obvious about doing it if you aren't familiar with this kind of forum (I wasn't).

There are instructions here and if you need help, just post a request for help there, okay?

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9432.msg119713#msg119713

Thanks Beeper,

Just a bit nervous about starting....happily my consultant approved my titration, and am feeling more confident today and glad I have actually started!

You must be very proud to have done what you have, I think it is brilliant!

Regards,

Annie6

Hi,

I've gone for today as your start date. If you prefer to start tomorrow, simply start from the dose stated for tomorrow - it will make no noticeable difference.

Your titration schedule: http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-annie6-2009-04-27.html

Add the following code to your signature:

[url=http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-annie6-2009-04-27.html][u]My Titration Schedule[/u][/url].

To add the code in your signature, read this: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9432.0

It does feel good to finally get started with a plan you believe in.  I think you are doing to do great.  It was probably a month before I stopped being fearful of what would happen when I tapered but once I did, many of the anxiety-related symptoms were reduced. Duh.  :idiot:

I see that you've been able to find your Profile Info and add some text to the signature block.  Don't forget to also add a link to your titration schedule.  It is really helpful for us to be able to see where you are at from time to time.  If you need help with that, just holler.

Hi Beeper,

Thanks for your good wishes.....I am now on day 4, I think what has helped massively is that my Consultant at the hospital gave his approval, and understands fully what I am doing.  Also my CBT therapist is really supportive!

So between everyone I am having lots of positive help-

Thanks again.

Colin,

I saw my consulatant today - who put me on a diazepam taper as he feels it will be much smoother for me, has given me 10mg diazepam tabs to titrate - he said to start where I finished (91ml)

I do feel happier about this because of the longer half-life of the diazepam.  I was having terrible mornings and as he is treating me for anxiety & depression he feels it will be gentler for me.

Hi Annie. If your going to switch over to Valium it's best to crossover in steps and not one leap. Valium takes a while to build up so you may feel wd effects even though your on the equivelent dose. According to the ashton manual you can probably switch at .5mg at a time.

Good luck

Amanda  :smitten:

Sorry to be dense....as I am titrating 1mg loraz how would I do this?  I cant mix them both in the titration can I ?????!!!!!!!

Thanks

Annie6 :D

Oh gee I somehow left that part out of my thinking! Colin or someone else who would know more will be on soon I'm sure. Sorry for confusing you!

Amanda  :smitten: