ANXIETY IS GETTING WORSE WHILE TAPERING....IF I HOLD WILL IT HELP????

[wh...]

Please tell me this...I have horrible anxiety where I think I am going nuts...I am on a .5 klonopin pill and tapering so damn slow that it took me 4 1/2 months to come off 38% off this...when I reached 38% I noticed my anxiety had built to the point it is unbearable....I am sweating a lot and heart palps and tight chest and tingly in face and arms and I have held for 7 days and some of the other sx's have diminished but I am having horrible anxiety that is not letting up....how do I proceed to get off the rest of the 68% off the klonopin?  how do I do this without it getting worse ..and how to I fix it so it is not so bad?

I had cold turkeyed two times ..stupid me...came back on the k.  2 months off cuz the anxiety was so high and I thought coming off slow would fix this...the anxiety is about as high as the ct anxiety now and I am not off this hell.....I am frozen in fear...what do I do?

Someone I know says I am causing more of the anxiety too cause I am so scared and suggests me taking lexapro to get off it cause I have so much fear and anxiety and worry and it would help me complete the taper.

Can anyone please advise me here?  I am sick and dunno what to do...the anxiety had been better in the evenings now it is all day ..worse in the mornings like it has been but now carrys on through the evening....and now bedtime...it is so uncomfortable and my bp and heart rate gets higher as I work myself up.

I try deep breathing and such but I do not seem to get relief..just get more worried...my mind is on this all the time and how am I gonna go further on my taper feeling this horrible and anxious?  if not for the high anxiety I could begin to start my taper again.

would holding like a month lessen this up or what?  please advise.

thank you!

You are doing a very slow taper. I'm not sure what would be helpful at this point taper wise. Make sure your learning some coping techniques and visit the panic/anxiety board for tips (just realized your already here! durrr). It's not uncommon to feel a little worse as you get lower but I dont think it should be this bad at the rate your tapering. I dont believe holding very long is going to help much.

Someone else will come by with more suggestions. Hang in there!

Amanda  :smitten:

edit- holding may help but if it doesnt help with a hold between 10-14 days I dont think you'll see much improvement holding longer then that

thanks Amanda..so if holding does not help then after lets say the 2 wk mark...does anyone know what to do then at this point? 

if I taper more will the anxiety get worse or do I take a dreaded ssri?  I am on no other meds..I tried hydroxyzine and propranolol to calm me down but really it does not help.  I tried passionflower and valerian...nope...so what to do?  and how to finish the taper?  yikes. 

I read that deep breathing helps increase gaba as obviously something is wrong with the gaba receptors or I would not be feeling this anxious this much?  right?  I am in constant terror and fear too as to how to get the anxiety down..and I worry I have developed an anxiety disorder..I tell myself I should not be frightened cuz it is benzo wd but it just keeps going higher.  very upsetting. 

When was the last time you had your thyroid checked? You sound so much like I was last summer, came to find out that my thyroid was out of whack.

I had it cked 6 wks ago and it was a tiny bit high...not much and doc says to quit taking the thyroid med and then come get cked again....it was low...then the thyroid med made it a little high..so it should be ok now...and the anxiety is super high and I have thoughts that go round and round in my head that drives me nuts.

what did you do for high thyroid?

I had it cked 6 wks ago and it was a tiny bit high...not much and doc says to quit taking the thyroid med and then come get cked again....it was low...then the thyroid med made it a little high..so it should be ok now...and the anxiety is super high and I have thoughts that go round and round in my head that drives me nuts.

what did you do for high thyroid?

I never thought that thyroid could give me such anxiety, starving feelings, insomnia, agoraphobia, etc.  My meds (synthroid generic) were adjusted and I felt better in a week and I take it everyday to keep it at a stable level. I've never heard of taking it for a little while and then quit taking it. It usually takes 6 weeks for the meds to build up in the system so I would expect that six weeks is time enough for it to be out of whack again. I took 88mcg for many years, went up to 100mcg and now back down to 75mcg. I believe that benzos messed up my thyroid because I had never had my thyroid get so out of whack so fast before.

Hi whatalife,

I don't know anything about tapering, but I've read from others that you can actually go too slow.  Some people say that they feel a little better when they make another cut.  But like I said, I don't have any first hand experience. 

It seems like the body gets all out of whack when you CT, and with you doing it twice then reinstating, you might have set the wheels in motion and it may not be possible to get through this unscathed.  Your body has been through a lot, and it's going to take some time to heal.  Keep looking for ways to relax and get through this without looking at what's going to happen in the future. 

I hope you can find a way to get through this.

Pam

When I was feeling like you, knowing that holding at any level was not helping, I resolved in my mind that I would just barrel through the symptoms, tough out the anxiety and stick to my taper schedule come what may.  Did a lot of crying, praying, and cursing (mostly cursing).  It was not easy but the anxiety ever-so-slowly diminished over the months.  What made enduring the anxiety possible was knowing that I would eventually be free and a normal life was ahead of me (that and a few promises to God). 

You will get a break eventually from this current mode you are in and it will dawn on you that easier time are ahead.  Try to have some faith and hang in there.

Thomas

I am afraid the anxiety will get stronger as I go lower & how I am I gonna handle this?  this worries me & got really bad in ct.....& it made me go back on the benzo.............

so I am worried that my cns is ruined............going slow it is higher ...........if I keep going slow how much worse will I get?

would an ssri like lexapro help at all with benzo anxiety?  some anxiety is no doubt mental now from the fear...so anyone have experience in taking a ssri to get off this?

hi whatalife,

taking an AD for benzo withdrawal is not usually recommended unless there is a serious depression going on. The reason is, it takes 4 to 6 weeks to feel the full benefits of an ssri, and before that happens, they can cause some serious anxiety, insomnia, loss of appetite, etc. By the time it kicks in, a lot of your wd symptoms may have dissipated on their own. In the meantime, you will have set yourself up with an AD dependency, which you will have to deal with by tapering. And it's not a very pleasant wd.

So if you can just grin and bare it for now, I think you will get thru without. As you said, much of it is mental. Try and work on that aspect of it. Check out our anxiety board.

And your CNS is not ruined. Just needs some healing . :)

I am afraid the anxiety will get stronger as I go lower & how I am I gonna handle this?  this worries me & got really bad in ct.....& it made me go back on the benzo.............

so I am worried that my cns is ruined............going slow it is higher ...........if I keep going slow how much worse will I get?

would an ssri like lexapro help at all with benzo anxiety?  some anxiety is no doubt mental now from the fear...so anyone have experience in taking a ssri to get off this?

Alot of people feel better as they get lower! Try not to worry about it, just wait and see. I think your going to do fine!  :thumbsup:

Unless there's severe depression I wouldnt go on a AD. I was on meds for depression and I still suffered, then I had to get off them too (still have 1 to go  :sick: ) . Make sure your eating right, exercising, doing deep breathing, positive thinking and distraction and see if that helps any.

Hang in there!

Amanda  :smitten:

thank you all for replying..I am worried ...I have anxiety really bad like I can't control it.....I feel like something has taken over my brain and that I am not able to stop the scarey thoughts of my mind getting anxious and frightened and i pour out in horrible sweating for the past week and totally in terror and I dunno why...I try and relax and watch tv and the bad thoughts come back in my brain like telling me that I am not normal and my brain is ruined and I will not be normal and then I get anxious and sweat and get more scared and feel like puking and unwell all the time...I am having hot flashes over and over again and the sweat keeps coming and then I get more scared and anxious and fearful...it is like a constant thing that will not let up...mostly mental with coming off this hell...and wondering if anyone else feels like this or thinks like this?  how can I pull out of this?  why am I sweating so much now?  I have held for 8 days and the body sx's are not as bad but now I have loads of sweating and more fear and anxiety and i fear the fear and it gets to building...what is going on?  I feel my brain and mind is warped.

Hi whatalife,

Make a cut.  Holding is not helping you.  You need to keep going.  Your fears are taking over your mind.  Yes, it is rough but you CAN do this.  Sweating is a very, very common symptom and nothing to worry about.  Hugs and kisses.

Patty  xo

Hi Whata,

You're going through the process. Benzos cause anxiety > anxiety causes symptoms > symptoms cause anxiety > anxiety causes symptoms. I've been where you are -- heck, I'm there right now -- and you just have to concentrate really hard on whatever you're doing. I used to sweat all the time and then it went away for a couple of months but now it's back. It's just another s/x.  I look at it as being a good part of my weight loss program!  :)

Find a deep breathing CD. Take a walk outside. Learn chigong (qi gong, lots of different spellings). Look into cognitive behavior therapy (CBT).  You can do this!! The more you learn to manage it, the easier it will be.

Take care,

ginger

Not to recommend drugs on top of drugs, but Buspar has been helpful to me in the past.  Buspar is an anti-anxiety drug.  BUT I didn't take it with a benzo.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hi and thanks for your help....I was given buspar and never took it Muststop...did it help?  I am afraid as I looked it up and said it can cause permanent damage.

also thanks for all of your help...I just dunno what to do..I went to the ER today cuz my bp spiked and sweat poured out more and anxiety so high I can't control the feeling...it is horrible..and if I knew that holding would bring the anxiety down...I would hold and then go lower and go even slower..but I dunno if holding is gonna do a dang thing.  8 days may not be enough..I heard others holding for a month or more.

I know that being on .310 is not enough and the dose a have been coming off of...  .5 was not enough either cuz I was in tolerance.  but I did not feel this high level of anxiety.

If I knew something that would take the edge off this anxiety I could get off this faster and I remembered in ct I was given lyrica and xyprexa and wondering if I took that along with tapering would that help to get rid of the anxiety or hurt my taper?

holding seems it would eventually work ..right?  doesn't each bit taken off the gaba begins to repair ????  and it would repair so I won't feel so anxious and then move forward?

thanks for your imput.

Hi whatalife,

I can tell you're experiencing a lot of fear, I think that is your worst enemy right now.  I've never felt fear like I did when I was in withdrawal.  There were times I would have a moment that wasn't filled with terror and I'd be amazed at what that felt like.  Then, of course the fear would return....I can only advise you on what I think you need to be doing right now to combat this, it's only my opinion. 

Please try to accept what's happening to you.  This is withdrawal, it's a known fact that withdrawal can cause all of the things that you're so afraid of right now.  If you can accept your fear, that this is part of your healing, then the anxiety should lessen. 

Try not to look for other chemicals to get you through this.  We don't recommend adding any more chemicals to our already over burdened central nervous systems.  What you're living with right now is what has to happen for you to heal, this is the only way out.  If you can accept that, then maybe you can begin to look for natural ways to help yourself feel better. 

I know it's difficult, I lived it too but if you stay your course with your taper you'll eventually be done and you'll get your life back.

So much of this process is mental, you have the power to take away some of your own suffering if you try.

Pam

Sorry, I did not know buspar could cause serious damage.  Seems like everything causes permanent damage...

I sure hope you start feeling better soon.

well I keep having a lot of anxiety and yes the fear is not managed and I think there is something wrong in my brain cuz I am so afraid and the anxiety is horendous...and that makes me scared if I go lower ...what will  happen....and then I have some high estrogen levels and the doc did not give me progestrone to go with it so I dunno if I can stop cold turkey on the estrogen to bring it down as I have estrogen dominance and wonder if this can cause trouble.?  maybe that can cause some anxiety too?  I dunno...hell.

well I keep having a lot of anxiety and yes the fear is not managed and I think there is something wrong in my brain cuz I am so afraid and the anxiety is horendous...and that makes me scared if I go lower ...what will  happen....and then I have some high estrogen levels and the doc did not give me progestrone to go with it so I dunno if I can stop cold turkey on the estrogen to bring it down as I have estrogen dominance and wonder if this can cause trouble.?  maybe that can cause some anxiety too?  I dunno...hell.

Hormones can play a part in having anxiety.

Absolutely! Hormones can cause increased anxiety and depression. If you can get them straightened out maybe you'll start feeling a little better  :thumbsup:

Hello whatalife.

I may new to this board but I am afraid I am an old timer to panic attacks and ones that last longer than the usual 20-30 minutes. I have had them last all day and then some. You have to tell yourself that this is all that is! I do not know much about the wd's but "you are not going crazy" I can promise you that! If you were going crazy you would have been there already!

Tell yourself you were just at the hospital so if anything was "really" wrong they would have picked it up. I have used that many a times. It may help to take a break of the monitor as well. For me it was always light triggered. (attacks) your brain is just trying to adjust to all of this! Follow everyone's suggestion especially for breathing!  To much Carbon Dioxide is the biggest reason for these feelings! Try to go into a dark room turn on the TV (as being in the complete dark can be scary as well) and try to do some deep breathing in and out of your nose!

I wish you the best as I know I am coming to where you are soon (doing a fast taper)  I just hope I have some of the courage you have even coming online to post about all of it.

Edit: Sorry if it seems all over the place but today is my first day coming off of 3 mgs of klonopin to 1  :D

Lugnut!

I've been following your other thread... why are still doing a fast taper when so many people have told you not to do it? It is NOT the way to go. You WILL fair worse if you continue at the rate you're going. Don't think "it can't happen to me" because it WILL. Please be in touch w/ a moderator and work out a new schedule. You won't be able to avoid what's coming but you can make it easier on yourself.

Sorry to steal your thread, Whata.

g

Hey Lugnut,

I so agree with Ginger. You may think you're doing it the right way and not feel any effects for a few days or a week even, but once they come it will be hard and nasty. I've been there twice now and have reintsated 3 times now. And each time reinstating I never got back to feeling better in that the w/d's didn't stop!!! I sure hope you listen to those of us that have done the rapid taper to c/t as it's not anything to fool around with especially if you've not felt these nasty w/d effects yet. As once they begin there's no getting around them to make them go away. If you've read the Ashton Manual about s/x's then multiply them by 1000 and add a few news ones that could be experienced and that's where I am with all of this mess. Sure hope you change your mind asap.

Sorry for stealing your thread whata, and sure hope you hang in there and don't start a new med that will also only bring trouble.

Hi,

I just wanted to clarify something. I believe lugnut does not have much of a choice right now with rapid taper, as his doc is making him do it.

Everyone reacts to a rapid taper differently. It's best not to unintentionally scare people with your own experiences. It sounds like he is doing ok, so there is no reason to believe he will suffer greatly. Many people do fine with rapid tapers. We just don't hear from many of them as those who don't suffer don't talk about it!  :)

Lug,

That said, It would be best if you could slow down a bit, if you are able. You mentioned you have another appt in a couple of weeks. Stretch out what you have, and see if they will let you slow down. TC!