Tapering after 13 years on K

[Tr...]

I was prescribed 3mg daily Klonopin 13 years ago to break a two-month-long migraine/face-pain that was triggered by surgery (thyroidectomy). The Klonopin did the trick, and I've been taking it ever since. It's time to try and get off it. I'm 51 and very determined, but worried that the surgery-induced face pain will return. I'm pretty sure it will because during my taper from 1.5mg daily to .75 daily it has reared its ugly head. I'm wondering if the surgery in 2002 did something to mess up my GABA receptors- something with the anesthesia. I very much want to find some Benzo Buddies because this is not something I talk about with my colleagues (I'm a university professor), and my close friends and family members do not "get it." Getting from 1.5mg to .75mg took me 9 months. I tried going lower this month, but went too fast in a milk taper, and the insomnia brought on a 4-day migraine that I just couldn't deal with so I went back up to .75 and am starting to feel "normal" again. I need support/hope and once I'm a free bird, I want to help others.

Hello TreeBird123.  Welcome to the forum, we're glad you found us!  Our members do understand what you're going through, and you'll find a lot of supporthere. Here are a few links you may find useful:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper).

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms, and there is also a section with withdrawal/taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

:smitten:

Tree, wellcome and you have come down in dosage pretty well yes? So maybe just hold a bit not sure how fast your dropping but alot of us get impatient and want to go faster then we should !Hopefully some more folks will reply so feel better and best of luck ~CD

Thank you for the welcomes.

My 9 month taper from 1.5 to .75 was dry cutting and while I had side effects, insomnia was not one of them. Once I got below .75 too rapidly (milk titration down to .682) , the insomnia grabbed me like a monster. I had to cry uncle and go back to .75. Hoping to stabilize and try again this summer (May) when I'm not teaching/working.

I distract myself with knitting and spinning wool. Any knitters/spinners out there?

Tree, ah see ya went to fast like alot of us. But glad your stable at a decently low dose as for me well.... Can`t help ya with the Knitting i am a Logger  :thumbsup: ~CD

Welcome TB,

The insomnia is the killer w/d symptom. I was able to get benzo-free for three months but the insomnia got me in the end. I was up for 7 days without any sleep (no kidding) I never thought that would be possible for a human being...but it was. I'm doing a liquid titration now. One thing that has helped my sleep tremendously is magnesium-L-theonate.

I've not heard of Magnesium L Theonate. I was doing soaks in Epsom salts and magnesium oil and also taking that magnesium powder you stir in water. No help sleeping. Total insomnia four nights and the migraine was too much to bear. I will look for that Mg preparation. Thank you.

Hi Treebird, I just want to say Congratulations for your taper from 3 mg to 0.75 mg , I am also a long term user.

I am glad you joined to this wonderful forum.

I've not heard of Magnesium L Theonate.

Hey TB.

Straight magnesium does not cross the blood/brain barrier, M-L-T does. The best place to get it at the best price is Amazon. MagMind by Jarrow,or MagTein are two of the best. Its a little pricey,but IMO well worth it. MIT did a study on it,check out this article:

http://www.lef.org/Magazine/2012/2/Novel-Magnesium-Compound-Reverses-Neurodegeneration/Page-01

I will get some of that Mg formulation, if only for the health of my brain!

Working full time and doing a taper... not a good mix. I missed a whole week of work during the insomnia-migraine last week and didn't have much to say about why I was "ill" and felt so guilty about doing this to myself and missing work because of it. Now I realize that I have to micro micro taper when I start up again. 

I pasted my taper diary into a blog post and put the link in my signature in case any of you want to read it.

I wish I could find some Buddies who live near me. Is there a way to search for members in certain locations? I don't know anyone who is going through this here in my neck of the woods.

So so glad I finally joined BB.

I will get some of that Mg formulation, if only for the health of my brain!

Working full time and doing a taper... not a good mix. I missed a whole week of work during the insomnia-migraine last week and didn't have much to say about why I was "ill" and felt so guilty about doing this to myself and missing work because of it. Now I realize that I have to micro micro taper when I start up again. 

I pasted my taper diary into a blog post and put the link in my signature in case any of you want to read it.

I wish I could find some Buddies who live near me. Is there a way to search for members in certain locations? I don't know anyone who is going through this here in my neck of the woods.

Hi TreeBird,

Firstly, I too would like to welcome you to the forum  :)

I understand how you feel, this can be a very lonely process and most friends and family members don't understand what we're going through.  However, it is against the rules for members to ask for or post their own or others' contact details.  This is due to internet privacy concerns and our desire to protect everyone concerned. Here is a gentle reminder of the forum rules and guidelines concerning this isuue :

•You are not permitted to post your contact details to the BenzoBuddies forum. Nor should you solicit the contact details of other members. Links to, or requests to join, Facebook or any other social networking websites which might potentially identify members' true identities are not allowed.

However, you are free to post as much as you wish, we're here to support you, I hope this helps,

Debbie

Hey TB,

Here is a list of benzo-wise doctors who may know of benzo support groups in the area in which you live.

http://www.benzodocs.com

I tried Narcotic Anonymous (N/A) I couldn't really connect with anyone there, no one could understand how I could be in withdrawal for so long. But it's worth a try.