The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Lapis,

I'm so sorry.  Just what you DIDN'T need! I hope your foot heals quickly.  :tickedoff:

Thanks, Helen. The fracture happened a few years ago, actually, but it took about 1.5 years to heal because I was so debilitated by the dizziness. I also have osteopenia, which likely slowed the healing as well. It did eventually heal, though.

OK I see. I hadn't read your message very thoroughly apparently! I'm glad it eventually healed. Man, this balance stuff can mess up everything!

I have started floating in the evenings and still have a foggy/sedated feeling during the mornings into afternoons most days. The floating started in the last two weeks as I've gotten below .34 mg k. I've been having fogs/heavy/sedated head since before I started tapering last September and all along the way, though I'd started having many days without until recently, where I've had them nearly every day along with the floating. For those of you floating, did you start getting this as you got lower in dose?

My disequilibrium started while I was still taking medication. It was the major reason that I started to see doctors and ask questions. Eventually, I realized the medications could have been causing the disequilibrium.

Same for me Lapis.  I was going through times where I could barely walk at all while on the meds and also having wine in the evenings.

Hereforhelp, I'd say the "floaty" feeling did come as I got further down in dosage.  Other balance issues came before it for me.  Hang in there.  that foggy/sedated feeling went on for a while for me too.  It's going to get better. 

I have started floating in the evenings and still have a foggy/sedated feeling during the mornings into afternoons most days. The floating started in the last two weeks as I've gotten below .34 mg k. I've been having fogs/heavy/sedated head since before I started tapering last September and all along the way, though I'd started having many days without until recently, where I've had them nearly every day along with the floating. For those of you floating, did you start getting this as you got lower in dose?

Yes when I got down to the low doses is when mine started. I believe this is because at that point there isn’t enough medication in the brain anymore. So the brain begins it’s journey back to homeostasis. Unfortunately for us that means whatever it was keeping at bay is now free to manifest itself. Also it could be that it’s simply paradoxical at low doses. The brain is like “ this dose is too small to do anything.” It throws a “ tantrum” for it being taken away. Like taking a pacifier from a toddler. That toddler is attached to it. It sees the pacifier as a necessity. If someone denies the toddler of it, the child will throw a fit in attempt to get it back. Temporary dependency. This is the same way with the pills we took IMO. But the parent distracts the toddler and don’t give it back as much until the child is weaned. Soon the child sees it doesn’t need the pacifier and begins to live without it. The tantrums stop because of acceptance of not getting it back. Being a big kid now is much better. The same as this recovery….as our brain adjusts to not having our gaba receptors hit we began to see it return back to better days. In most cases, the reports are that it’s better than before starting the pills. Hopefully yours won’t be a long before it goes away. It may go away and come back for a few visits. Or be less intense then rev back up. Don’t be startled by that. It’s common.

I hope that helped. Best wishes.

Really appreciate your responses. It's a very unsettling symptom that just appeared one day and hasn't wanted to abate. My palpitations have also kicked up in the last week or so. I haven't dealt with them in a long time.

You’re very welcome. Rest assured that it will go away. It is common and so are the palpitations. Since I’ve been going through this I’ve had all kinds of shifts of my symptoms. They pop in and out usually grouped together then poof…gone for a bit. Then return milder sometimes for a short while. It’s a cruel roller coaster of symptoms that doesn’t make sense. But I find it’s easier to not give them much attention so they don’t stress you out. They are just symptoms. Like a kid throwing a tantrum on the floor…..step over that kid and ignore him/her. I try not to give my symptoms a stage to perform on. I observe them but don’t participate.  :thumbsup:

Big hugs to you. It will be alright. Trust your brain knows how to heal you. ❤️

Hello fellow Dizzy folks. I have been reading this thread a lot and I am not sure if I have chimed in. Yesterday was my 18 month sobriety date from alcohol. I think it has been about 17 months since I took any benzos. I feel so much better than I did a year ago or even 6 months ago. But the boaty floaty feeling is still with me 24/7. I had some small windows here and there but I had setbacks by I believe two dental surgeries, when I took sedation drugs. Anyway, about the only time I don't feel the sensation is when I am driving or riding in a car or riding a bike. It seems to get more intense once I get out of the car or off the bike. Also, it is worse at night. The few days that I have been rock free I wake in the morning that way and I feel great all day. But it usually comes back that evening or the next day. It has been a good month or six weeks since I have had that pleasure of not rocking.

I have occasional insomnia and take trazodone for it sometimes. Does anyone know if that could hurt my healing? I long for the day that I am not rocking. My husband says I should just accept that I may always have it and be grateful that I can function pretty well with it. I do play tennis, walk, ride my bike and don't appear to be rocking to those that observe me. But I occasionally lose my balance and bump into things. Fortunately, I have not had any falls and I am pretty coordinated. I know I have got it better than a lot of people on here.

I am so grateful to have learned about this thread from the Benzo Buddies community. It is so nice to know there are others that experience this. Sometimes I feel like I am in an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Welcome Stardust! It’s a pleasure to meet you not under these circumstances but still a pleasure. I’m sorry that you’re on the Captain Jack Sparrow ship with us. It sure does suck. I wish he would just walk the plank!  :laugh:

But until he does….we can only do the best we can to remain safe while upright or doing things while pretending to be normal. Unfortunately nobody can tell us WHEN this symptom will go away. But my experience has been that it is slow to heal…..but it does get better. Those little windows we have to where it is gone or barely there tells us the truth. So, I hang on to those times keeping in mind that is my brain practicing for when it goes away for good. If it can get it right off and on then it will eventually get it right permanently.  :thumbsup:

To me I view it like a sprained ankle. At first it’s so injured that you can’t walk on it. As weeks pass by then a little bit of pressure from trying to walk is tolerated but not for long. More weeks pass and you can begin to walk on it a little better but carefully. Soon enough you don’t need the crutches anymore and although it still hurts when walking, it’s doable. As long as you’re careful and not disrupt the healing, soon it won’t bother you anymore….back to normal. There was absolutely nothing you could do to heal it any quicker….time is what it took. This and all of our symptoms work the same way. Having said that……

I’m not sure about trazodone helping or hurting your healing. I see that you’re taking it on occasion? That’s probably best if you just have to IMO because it would end up being another pill you’ll have to taper. IMO it’s better to not take anything that would have a chance of disrupting healing or adding to our already injured brains. I’m not telling you or anybody what to do. It’s your body, your choice. But I would suggest that anything someone takes they should do their research so they’re clearly informed. Unfortunately coming off these medications is known to cause rebound insomnia. IMO it’s ideal to just accept it as part of healing. Sometimes you just might not sleep well. It is temporary. Do you have a good sleep routine and hygiene? A strict bedtime ritual? This has helped me to sleep well since my taper.

It’s funny that you can drive and ride in the car. That’s been my biggest struggle to improve. I believe it’s because of the ataxia episodes I have. I’ve never had any of these symptoms prior to taking Ambien. I am just now riding in the car a very short distance ( only in the parking lot) but it’s a real struggle. Also just like you when I get out of the car, I go into a wave in which those symptoms increase. And mine is also worse at night. It’s like being in a funhouse at a carnival except it’s not fun at all. Unlike you, my balance issues are visible to others. I’d like to encourage you to keep doing normal things. It lets the brain know what you’re supposed to be able to do. Congrats and well done on your sobriety! Way to go! And no you’re not alone in this. Keep looking forward to your healing. Time is your best friend in this. Believe it and see it happen.

Big hugs to you. 🤗❤️ I hope I was of some help/ support.

Thanks Ladyden for your support. I know I need to be grateful for all the symptoms that have improved and I need to try to ignore this boaty feeling and move forward. I knew nothing about the potential of long term symptoms of taking benzos. Doctors over the years only cautioned me that they could be addicting. I also knew nothing about need to taper. So I really did not taper at all. I guess that is one reason the dizziness is lasting so long. But at almost a year and a half off benzos, that I only took occasionally, there is no point in reinstating and tapering.

Hello All !

I am just stopping in just for this very moment to put a link here that may help us with our dizziness,  floaty,  boaty, balance stuff. I found "The Steady Coach" on YouTube. She is an Audiologist and I've only listened to a couple of her videos, but I really like her. Maybe you have heard of her already, but anyway I will put the link to her YouTube page below. It is all free.

My dizziness has come and gone throughout my entire journey. It can be gone for months at a time, then return. It is not as bad as it used to be. During a wave that I had that ended about a month ago, that symptom had returned (boaty feeling, unbalanced) . The wave was definitely not as bad as previous waves, but I did have some periods of moderate symptoms come and go. I did have to use a cane again here and there to help me balance. Now that intense part of it has subsided, and I seem to be back to baseline, and better,  where I only have issues feeling a bit boaty some evenings (not all of the time) after a busy day, and the boatiness is pretty mild and gone in about 20 minutes.

I find that this Audiologist "The Steady Coach" has been very helpful because after dealing with this for so long I sometimes wrap fear up into avoidance behavior and that's just not good for me. These videos are a gentle approach to handling that, and much more.

I am sorry I have not been on Benzo Buddies. I have found that staying away from the forum is very helpful for me right now. I won't even check my PM's while I am here. I apologize.

Just a brief update on me that I will put right here. I did have a wave that started out not so bad, but lasted a little longer, and was a little crappier than I expected, but I am so much better now. I've been to a festival, visiting family. Been driving some. Been going to stores. Also shoveled a bunch of gravel for my flower bed. I love being outdoors even more than ever! This year I am able to do things in the yard with flowers and such when last summer it was quite challenging. When I bend over I may feel some very mild, breif (just a couple seconds) of dizziness once in a while, but not all of the time. I walk at least 5 miles almost every day. On most days I visit parks. I hit a golf balls around our yard (practicing my golf swing). I sleep really well , and I sleep hard.

I have many days where I feel the absolute best that I have felt in the entire three years. I can feel my personality. I feel like myself. I feel amazing. A couple symptoms linger here and there - like the occasional very breif boatiness and sometimes I can get that weird surreal feeling of feeling a bit "disconnected" , or a tad of benzo flu, but it only happens maybe once a week,  and it's gone in minutes.

Yes, symptoms still linger a bit, but my baseline over all improvement is the best it's ever been. Just some rest and self care takes care of these things, but I don't need to rest as long as I used to, to recharge. I am stronger overall .

I think of you all, and you continue to be in my prayers.

Here is the link for "The Steady Coach":

https://youtube.com/c/TheSteadyCoach

I will be bowing out for now. Not sure when I will be back to benzo buddies again. I feel I am not healed enough to write a success story yet. I need more consistent months of feeling better under my belt to do that.

Hugs -  :smitten:

- Fortitude

Thanks Ladyden for your support. I know I need to be grateful for all the symptoms that have improved and I need to try to ignore this boaty feeling and move forward. I knew nothing about the potential of long term symptoms of taking benzos. Doctors over the years only cautioned me that they could be addicting. I also knew nothing about need to taper. So I really did not taper at all. I guess that is one reason the dizziness is lasting so long. But at almost a year and a half off benzos, that I only took occasionally, there is no point in reinstating and tapering.

I agree there’s no point in reinstating. You’ve put in too many months now. It will get better in time. I won’t be surprised if you turn a good corner soon being 17 months. Well done! Keep the faith. Keep going. And you’re lucky the doctor told you they’re addicting. Many of other doctors ( including mine) did not say a word! I’m not sure about your CT causing the boatiness. I tapered slowly and it was the first, worst and longest symptom I’ve had the whole time. I’m not sure why but some people get certain symptoms as their main ones as the other ones show up for a short time. Some have more mentally disabling ones as their main ones. Mine has been 90% physical symptoms particularly vestibular ones. This is such a mystery why two people can have the same exact medications taken the same amount of time and taper the same way but….one will have mental symptoms and one will have physical ones. Apparently it’s genetics IMO or it could be based upon which receptors was hit the hardest/ most. My bet is that it’s both. But, the good news is that it runs its mysterious healing roller coaster course then we are back to normal. In most cases even better than before. I love using the analogy that I’m a caterpillar in my cocoon turning into a butterfly. Getting those wings is much work but wow they’re so worth it! As a caterpillar the view and experiences are so limited because of being confined to the ground. But as a butterfly the sky is the limit! 🦋

Hello All !

I am just stopping in just for this very moment to put a link here that may help us with our dizziness,  floaty,  boaty, balance stuff. I found "The Steady Coach" on YouTube. She is an Audiologist and I've only listened to a couple of her videos, but I really like her. Maybe you have heard of her already, but anyway I will put the link to her YouTube page below. It is all free.

My dizziness has come and gone throughout my entire journey. It can be gone for months at a time, then return. It is not as bad as it used to be. During a wave that I had that ended about a month ago, that symptom had returned (boaty feeling, unbalanced) . The wave was definitely not as bad as previous waves, but I did have some periods of moderate symptoms come and go. I did have to use a cane again here and there to help me balance. Now that intense part of it has subsided, and I seem to be back to baseline, and better,  where I only have issues feeling a bit boaty some evenings (not all of the time) after a busy day, and the boatiness is pretty mild and gone in about 20 minutes.

I find that this Audiologist "The Steady Coach" has been very helpful because after dealing with this for so long I sometimes wrap fear up into avoidance behavior and that's just not good for me. These videos are a gentle approach to handling that, and much more.

I am sorry I have not been on Benzo Buddies. I have found that staying away from the forum is very helpful for me right now. I won't even check my PM's while I am here. I apologize.

Just a brief update on me that I will put right here. I did have a wave that started out not so bad, but lasted a little longer, and was a little crappier than I expected, but I am so much better now. I've been to a festival, visiting family. Been driving some. Been going to stores. Also shoveled a bunch of gravel for my flower bed. I love being outdoors even more than ever! This year I am able to do things in the yard with flowers and such when last summer it was quite challenging. When I bend over I may feel some very mild, breif (just a couple seconds) of dizziness once in a while, but not all of the time. I walk at least 5 miles almost every day. On most days I visit parks. I hit a golf balls around our yard (practicing my golf swing). I sleep really well , and I sleep hard.

I have many days where I feel the absolute best that I have felt in the entire three years. I can feel my personality. I feel like myself. I feel amazing. A couple symptoms linger here and there - like the occasional very breif boatiness and sometimes I can get that weird surreal feeling of feeling a bit "disconnected" , or a tad of benzo flu, but it only happens maybe once a week,  and it's gone in minutes.

Yes, symptoms still linger a bit, but my baseline over all improvement is the best it's ever been. Just some rest and self care takes care of these things, but I don't need to rest as long as I used to, to recharge. I am stronger overall .

I will be bowing out for now. Not sure when I will be back to benzo buddies again. I feel I am not healed enough to write a success story yet. I need more consistent months of feeling better under my belt to do that.

- Fortitude

Miss Fortitude,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and successes with us! It's so helpful.  Of course you shouldn't hang around the forum but I do appreciate you popping in to give us hope.  Enjoy your life! 

Helen

Hello All !

- Fortitude

Hey Miss Fort! Very awesome to hear from you. You sound like you’re making great strides in your recovery. I’m so excited for you! Well done. The gardening sounds so therapeutic and I can picture you smiling. Thanks for sharing this beautiful update. My symptoms are improving as well. My boatiness/ pulling/ ataxia ( unbalanced) isn’t constant anymore. They have times of being gone or barely there then ramp back up. So I’m loving the progress too. I’m not driving or going places yet but I feel it will be soon. Although you are not healed yet, you’re well on your way to being symptom free. I’ve read your posts over these years and I must say they gave me encouragement. Your new life that you’re already living sounds so awesome! I hope you continue enjoying things you love every day. My best wishes to you. I’ll be looking out for your success story.

Thank you for the link. I’ll check it out!

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hello All !

- Fortitude

Wonderful news, Miss Fortitude! Thank you so much for sharing it. So many people just leave without telling their stories, so it means a lot that you took the time to share how things have changed for you. I wish you all the best!

And yes, please do write a Success Story when you feel you're ready. Such stories bring hope to others, and that's a wonderful gift. Take good care.

Thank you everyone for your kind words . I very much appreciate it.

LadyDen, so glad to hear that you are improving. This is great news!

I WANTED TO UPDATE ABOUT "The Steady Coach"  (Yonit- Audiologist). That I posted about on here a few days ago on June 21st.

I do like her videos on YouTube, especially the meditations.

However, I joined her site. (She has a website group you can join for about $10  a month. ). There are posts from "The Steady Coach" herself. Her name is Yonit. She's an Audiologist. Her posts are very helpful, BUT the posts by members were pretty triggering for me because the symptoms people are having are not all just vestibular and dizziness related. I read a post of a young lady not being able to sit or stand still due to needing to move all of the time. That sounds like akathisia to me, which only comes from a medication.

Yes, there were many folks on there who had real vestibular disorders, but the line is blurry where it flat out sounds like symptoms from antidepressants and/or benzos. All I could think of was how many of the members really had a tolerance to these medications and that they could have been causing, or at least contributing to their vestibular issues. Then many talked about being on antidepressants and anti anxiety medications. I only checked it out for a couple of days, then I had to cancel my membership. It was a bit much for me.

BUT - "The Steady Coach" videos on YouTube are really helpful. You don't have to join her website group to see her videos. They are free on YouTube.

Just thought I'd mention this.

Hugs to you all.  :smitten:

Hello All !

- Fortitude

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that update about "The Steady Coach", Miss Fortitude! I did check out the first YouTube video on that site after you posted the link, but I didn't go further than that. I just ran out of time on that day, but I had planned to go back and have a look a couple of others to see what she had to say.

Is there a place where I can read success stories for people with Boaty dizziness? I’ve had this pretty much for 18 months straight with very few windows that usually only last a day.

Hello Stardust. The only thing I can think of is to go to the beginning of this thread and read through it to see the progression of former buddies who healed. Also you might have some luck just typing in the search bar at the upper right corner of this forum. Maybe try searching keywords like boaty, disequilibrium, dizzy, unbalanced, etc.

I had better luck with my searches when I simply used google. I typed in google “benzo buddies boaty”.

Hope that helps. I’m the same as you, I’ve had this a long time. Over 2 years now BUT it is getting better as of recently. Finally improving! So time will take care of it.

All I do everyday is go about my day ignoring it as much as possible as if it’s gone already. I’m limited but able to function way better now. Hang in there! This symptom seem to be one of the last to go as we heal. It sucks but it is what it is.