Author Topic: The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying  (Read 352088 times)

[Buddie]

Re: The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying
« Reply #7500 on: October 20, 2021, 03:36:57 pm »
My tinnitus has been off the charts lately!  And the nerve pain has increased as well. Almost 3 years offÖthis is disheartening to say the least.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7501 on: October 21, 2021, 07:45:56 pm »
Yes it is Hopper but please donít give up. Hang in there. I know youíre tired. Iím tired too. Hopefully this will be just a bad memory soon . Hugs
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7502 on: October 21, 2021, 10:58:36 pm »
Yes it is Hopper but please donít give up. Hang in there. I know youíre tired. Iím tired too. Hopefully this will be just a bad memory soon . Hugs

Thanks for the reply and the Hugs [...]!  Giving up isnít an option, but like you, Iím tired. Some days just existing can be exhausting.

May we all heal sooner than later! 

[Buddie]

« Reply #7503 on: October 22, 2021, 12:57:00 pm »
Yes indeed they are. Iím so glad for the distractions I have. Whoever invented series deserves a medal. Gives me hours and hours of not focusing on my symptoms. If you can watch tv, check out the seasons of the masked singer. Especially if you like music. Wow thatís a great show!
Feel better today and remember to pamper yourself a bit each day.
Ohhhhh and tell your symptoms to kiss your grits  :laugh: ( I canít say what I really think)  :thumbsup: but, you know!
Hugs Hopper

[Buddie]

« Reply #7504 on: October 22, 2021, 09:56:50 pm »
Thanks for the laugh [...]!  😊
I have spent a lot of my days watching TV and playing mind numbing games on my iPad. Distractions surely do help. Just wish I was able to be more active. I love to play golf but the sun and the heat just sap my energy. I start seeing spots and the dizzy gets worse. Perhaps I can get more outdoor activity now that fall is here and the temps and humidity will be decreasing.

P.S I did see the masked singer this week. =-)

[Buddie]

« Reply #7505 on: October 27, 2021, 06:13:48 pm »
Hi Dizzy Buddies,
Here's a really interesting abstract about spatial orientation, which includes some basic information about balance and the three different sensory sources that provide info to the brain.

Physiology Of Spatial Orientation

Rachel K. Meeks  1 , Jackie Anderson, Paul M. Bell

In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan.

2021 Aug 11.
Affiliations

22 Area Clinic Camp Pendleton

PMID: 30085518 Bookshelf ID: NBK518976

Free Books & Documents

Excerpt

Aviation-associated spatial disorientation, as described [...] Benson, occurs when ďthe pilot fails to sense correctly the position, motion, or attitude of his aircraft or of himself within the fixed coordinate system provided [...] the surface of the Earth and the gravitational vertical.Ē In other words, spatial orientation is the natural ability to maintain body orientation and/or posture in relation to one's environment while at [...] and during motion. Humans are naturally designed to maintain orientation while on the ground in a two-dimensional environment. Aviation incorporates a three-dimensional environment and can lead to sensory conflicts, making orientation difficult or even impossible to maintain. Spatial disorientation is a phenomenon that is well known to aviators, but it remains unclearly defined and continues to be one of largest causes of aviation mishaps.

Spatial disorientation is achieved through three major sensory sources: visual, vestibular, and proprioceptive. To achieve appropriate orientation the body relies on accurate perception and cognitive integration of all three systems. If visual, vestibular, and proprioceptive stimuli vary in magnitude, direction and frequency the resulting effect can be spatial disorientation.

The human eye provides visual and spatial orientation, which is responsible for providing about 80% of the sensory inputs needed to maintain orientation. The vestibular system within the inner ear contributes 15%. Proprioceptive sensory inputs from receptors located in the skin, muscle, tendons, and joints account for 5% of the sensory information used to establish orientation. Complex coordination between these sensory inputs is then translated and interpreted [...] the brain. Misinterpretation or inaccuracy of these three sources of information can lead to ďsensory mismatch,Ē resulting in a variety of visual or vestibular illusions.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30085518/

Seeing how the percentages of sensory inputs (i.e. visual/spatial, vestibular, proprioceptive) break down is a reminder of the complexity of balance and why it's worthwhile to get things checked out.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7506 on: October 28, 2021, 01:56:02 am »
As always [...] gives us the goodies to read. Thanks [...]! Hugs and [...] youíre doing well.
Hopper, I like golf too especially putt putt courses. Before the pandemic they opened a top golf. I canít wait until I can go see it and play. Iím not good at golf but just lucky quite often lol
My list is so long of the things I [...] doing so yeah I feel you. Most of those are so simple like just going to the park to paint. I love parks. Right now I donít have to be at the park. Ií[...] settle for just a simple walk outside. Unbelievable that before the first of this month I was walking outside nearly everyday just looking around, enjoying birds or butterflies and getting a little sun. All of a sudden WHAM! I got sacked [...] a big wave and back in this bed I go. But, this time I seem to be recovering faster. Iím already up walking for a few minutes without my walker. Last week I couldnít do that very much. Well itís 10 pm here and Iím starting my night wave. Bedtime! Like clockwork my boatiness increases. Lol
Happy [...] to you and [...] and everyone dealing with this. Hugs

[Buddie]

« Reply #7507 on: October 28, 2021, 06:52:54 am »
Thanks for the interesting read [...]!

[...], I know exactly what you mean, nighttime and mornings are just the worst!  Sorry that you are still in this wave!  I [...] it passes quickly this time!  I was able to get out and play 9 holes of golf with my son Tuesday afternoon, it was a bit of a struggle but Iím glad I pushed myself to do it. I was dizzy/lightheaded and seeing spots at one point from the bending over to tee up the ball, line up putts etc.  I just have to limit myself sometimes, but Iím trying not to let it win!

I have a full day of BBQing planned for tomorrow (today) but itís almost 3AM and Iíve been awake for the past hour. My sleep cycle seems to come and go. Currently I can get about 3-4 hours continuous. I love those nights where I can get 6-7 hours!  :)

Best wishes and [...] thoughts to you all!

[Buddie]

« Reply #7508 on: October 28, 2021, 12:56:24 pm »
Hey Hopper save me some of those ribs! Skip the bbq sauce  :thumbsup:
Wow I havenít had bbq in so long. Along with many other things. Yesterday I looked up ingredients at various pizza parlors. Papa Johns have all natural ingredients so I tried their pizza. So far I donít see any Ií[...] effects from it but I created my own pizza instead of going with the ones on the main menu. Hereís what I ordered
Gluten free thin crust, ground beef, bell peppers, light onions, no oils, no seasoning, light cheese with no pizza sauce. Surprisingly delicious!
I only ate one sliceÖjust in case. I skipped the sauce because I didnít want to chance the oregano Erving me up. Iím sick enough! Lol so I decided that on my next grocery order Iím going to order the things needed to make my own pizza and Ií[...] make my own sauce as well.  :thumbsup: Iíve modified tacos as well. Adding my own seasonings instead of using taco seasoning. So far so good. Iím doing this with all the foods I love so I can enjoy them again. I havenít figured out ice cream yet. Lol
This has taught me soooo much. I have so many delicious [...] friendly recipes. If youíd or anyone would like me to share them then Iíd happily do so.  :thumbsup:
Enjoy your bbq day my friend. [...] the way, where are you located?
Iím from Louisiana but live in SC now.

[...] as Hopper said about not letting this win, Iíve tried to do the same but itís nearly impossible to do when I can barely walk. I canít tolerate being upright but for a few minutes. Did you have this problem at some point?
Or maybe you Hopper?
If I didnít have this symptom of boaty and upright intolerance Iíd be about 85% healed. Itís[...] how everyone has whatís called their worst symptoms that hang around so long. No doubt my vestibular system was hit hard!!!

[Buddie]

« Reply #7509 on: October 28, 2021, 03:19:14 pm »
Hi All,
It really seems to hit everyone differently. To answer your question, [...], I've never spent a day lying down. I can't. Even if it's a 9.5 out of 10 for me, I can't do that. I try to move around a bit and do my exercises (in sitting) and sit at the computer to read. Lying down doesn't decrease my dizziness or make me feel better, so that's why it doesn't make sense for me to do so. My dizziness level seems to change overnight, and I wake up with a certain level of it that stays with me for an entire day. My big question has to do with any changes that take place during the night, whether it's the neurotransmitters or hormones. I've been wondering these things for a long time, but there's no easy way to get these questions answered.

Anyway, I guess we each have to figure out what works for us in order to survive and get through the days.