Author Topic: The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying  (Read 298806 times)

[Buddie]

Re: The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying
« Reply #7040 on: August 03, 2020, 12:11:44 am »
I'[...] try to figure out how to do write a success story. I am only 6 months fully medication-free and I figured a success story is most appropriate at 12 months off.

No pressure, just whenever you feel ready.  There isn't really a time table for writing one, its up to you and if you feel you've recovered.  Here is the link to the board just in case.  Success Stories   :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7041 on: August 09, 2020, 08:08:08 pm »
Hi Dizzy Buddies,
Here's some good news about the vestibular system! It's in the form of an abstract I just came across on PubMed when was searching for recent studies on this topic.

"The adult brain produces new neurons to restore balance after vestibular loss"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32614308/

Abstract

Following partial or total loss of peripheral vestibular inputs, a phenomenon called central vestibular compensation takes place in the hours and days following the injury. This neuroplasticity process involves a mosaic of profound rearrangements within the brain stem vestibular nuclei. Among them, the setting of a new neuronal network is maybe the most original and unexpected, as it involves an adult reactive neurogenesis in a brain area not reported as neurogenic so far. Both the survival and functionality of this newly generated neuronal network will depend on its integration to pre-existing networks in the deafferented structure. Far from being aberrant, this new structural organization allows the use of inputs from other sensory modalities (vision and proprioception) to promote the [...] of the posture and equilibrium. We choose here to detail this model, which does not belong to the traditional niches of adult neurogenesis, but it is the best example so far of the reparative role of the adult neurogenesis. Not only it represents an original neuroplasticity mechanism, interesting for basic [...], but it also opens new medical perspectives for the development of therapeutic approaches to alleviate vestibular disorders.

I'm not sure how this pertains to what we're experiencing here, but to read good news about "adult neurogenesis"...well, that's amazing!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7042 on: August 09, 2020, 08:21:16 pm »
Yes, great news. Publishing date is recent too so it must be accurate.

Thanks a lot [...].

[Buddie]

« Reply #7043 on: August 10, 2020, 12:08:40 pm »
Yes, great news. Publishing date is recent too so it must be accurate.

Thanks a lot [...].

Hi [...],
My pleasure! It's really amazing to me to read something like this: "Among them, the setting of a new neuronal network is maybe the most original and unexpected, as it involves an adult reactive neurogenesis in a brain area not reported as neurogenic so far. "

It shows that research is constantly discovering new, positive things about the brain.  :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #7044 on: August 10, 2020, 05:58:11 pm »
"Among them, the setting of a new neuronal network is maybe the most original and unexpected, as it involves an adult reactive neurogenesis in a brain area not reported as neurogenic so far. "
I thank God everyday for this kind of good news and people like you are in my prayers too!

Thank you so much. I want this vestibular damage get healed someday. This dizziness and boaty sensations aren't that bad like others in here yet it's very debilitating sigh.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7045 on: August 19, 2020, 07:30:54 pm »
Hi Dizzy Buddies,
I'm still checking out the studies on PubMed to see what might pertain to us. I just came across this one, and it mentions "diagnostic errors" when it comes to dizziness. Having read quite a few abstracts, I would say that that appears to be quite common.

"Vestibular vertigo"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32678559/

Abstract

Vestibular vertigo is most often caused [...] benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), Meniere's disease, vestibular neuritis, vestibular migraine or stroke. Features, diagnosis and treatment of vestibular vertigo in patients with these diseases are discussed. The authors analyze common diagnostic errors based on the data of 700 outpatients (205 men and 495 women, aged 25-88 years, mean age 55 years). It is noted that the cause of vertigo is often misdiagnosed with vertebral-basilar insufficiency, discirculatory encephalopathy, cervical spine pathology; at the same time, BPPV, Meniere's disease, vestibular neuritis or vestibular migraine is diagnosed less often. This fact reflects the lack of awareness of physicians about these diseases. BPPV, Meniere's disease and migraine are effectively treated and therefore their diagnosis and adequate treatment are of great importance.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7046 on: August 19, 2020, 11:42:47 pm »
Thank you [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #7047 on: August 20, 2020, 12:06:52 pm »
You're welcome, [...]!

[Buddie]

« Reply #7048 on: August 24, 2020, 03:03:22 pm »
Following, as dizziness has settled in my life during the past months.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7049 on: August 25, 2020, 08:50:16 am »
I went to the neurologist to do some tests and told him I was off balance, dizziness, blurry vision... he said usually it lasts 2 weeks but I'm still tapering... Thats so not true at all... he recommend  a pill for my dizziness, that people take for Meniere's disease with a bunch of side affects.... >:(