Author Topic: The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying  (Read 352082 times)

[Buddie]

It's not always an immediate reaction.

that's true it's not always an immediate reaction. such as when we take something and we feel it puts us into a wave right away and we can know exactly what put us into a wave. a few things have done that to me like those stupid allergy drops i used the other night that put me in the most excrutiating pain i've ever been in.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

I've read this article about natural products a few times, and what's clear is that, well, nothing is clear! What I mean is, there are subtle actions, in that something potentiate the actions of other things. Those are more subtle effects. Again, that's why -- at least for me -- I think it's best to stay away from the GABA A positive allosteric modulators. The effects could be cumulative, or could act in the presence of other things. For now, safe is best.

And later on, when we're all feeling fabulous, free and supremely balanced on our own two feet, we can be wild and[...] and do something wacky like have a cup of chamomile tea!!  ;D
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Lapsis...excellent thread!!.....thank you so very much. Wonderful resource/research  links. ...I was put on Ativan for a sudden true vertigo episode ( can't tell up from down ..can't find the floor type). I went to er and was given Xanax which I had a paradoxical reaction to...in all of thier great wisdom the physician's switched to ativan and mclazine combined. The ativan helped for about one week but I was advised to stay on both medications...I did and my panic and falling sensation increased as well as panic. ...well long story short..after about 18 months of getting worse and increasing the dosage per physician I go ogled ativan and figured out for myself that ativan was not doing me any good ...in fact hurting me . I found BBs and Ashton and tapered over 6 months. I am now at the beginning of month 16. I had a big increase in the undulating dizziness at month 6 after a very bad reaction to amoxicillin. I was advised to go back on the mclazine, which I did. From that time forward I would use the mclazine randomly for the internal motion sensation. Each time I suspected that when my dizziness came back it was worse..often with the sudden disequalibrium sensation that precipitates a mini panic....now thanks to your excellent information I realize that sporadic sx based use of the mclazine ( I was directed to the otc Bonnie [...] my ent...shouldn't an ent know better)....I too have been to pt, extensive ent texting, vestibular exercises and a neurologist. Out of all of that the vestibular exercises seem to help the most...after they momentarily make it worse. I have some periods of no sx .. but it became worse with head pressure and mild tinnitus after the 6 month mark. .  Does your husband experience d/r and or head pressure as well?
.....I am so sorry that your husband is suffering so profoundly. I wish him [...] . You are doing a huge much needed service with this thread. I will never take another Bonnie....we take these things at the direction of trained medical professionals who should know better and we come away with chronic damage.  So [...]. ...If I understand you correctly ( I have not read all of the links yet) , the fact that our motion disturbances are part of recovery is a sign of further ear decompensation and ultimately an indication that [...] recovery is advancing?
....thank you so much again...I will be following this thread closely....I took a one time Bonnie dose 10 days ago ....a 7 day wave of acute sx followed .. now I am [...] convinced that the Bonnie triggered it....thank you

[Buddie]

Throughout my w/d I have tried several 'safe' herbals, supplements and vitamins. I had negative results with several of them...including a homeopathic that is safe enough for young children ...Calms Forte...I got PA is from it...I researched it and some of the ingredients ( chamomile and lemon balm).attach to the receptors that benzos do. .magnesium gave me anxiety...EmergC sometimes revs me...
....so I have stopped all herbs, supplements etc. I eat healthy and as organic as I can afford. ...At 16 months out ..damaged [...] 2 ' safe' drugs prescribed [...] physicaians I don't trust anything really....[...]

[Buddie]

Lapsis...correction...I confused your story with [...]'s. My comments are directed to you, but I mistakenly thought it was your husband who suffered the disequalibrium sx....I wish you also relief from this most miserable sx... or continued relief... [...]

[Buddie]

Oh, yay!!!   :yippee: :clap: :yippee: 
So very, very happy to see this support group off the ground and extra, extra thrilled to see it's being spearheaded [...] our resident scholar, the Dizzy Dame, Ms [...] herself!  :D  Yay, [...], great job and already filled with a wealth of information like only you [...] it!  This is going to be one heck of a great support group!

I'm going to have to return another time to add my full resume here ::) because, well, what else, I'm rocking and bouncing and swaying a little too much today to type much at all.  I do have a request though, [...], if you're still able to edit your first post, please to add my somewhat rare symptom, "rocking and pulsating to rhythm of heartbeat" to your list.  Feeling very alone with that one, would love to hear from any others who are in that particular rocky boat. 

Will be sure to return again when the tide's a little lower.  Yawn, yea, I'[...] try to stop being so punny!  :P

Hi to everyone else.  This sx is certainly not for the faint of heart and can certainly test even the very toughest of us.  It's nice to have our own little place to huddle together and moan and whine and share tips and strategies, and all of our "highs and lows" ... shoot, I did it again, sorry, I'm out of here for now! 

Much love to all.

:smitten:

[Buddie]

This thread is giving me much needed encouragement today. If the undulating and head pressure would heal most of my other sx would be moderate at best and very manageable. ...
.....Does others find that the dizziness or boatyness or however you describe the motion disturbance effect your ability to read ? ..
..... looking forward to reading everyone's experiences and progress.  [...]...

[Buddie]

Welcome and Hello to one and all! Thanks so much for wading into the choppy waters here, [...] and [...]! It's SO good to hear from you and to hear your stories, although I'm never happy to hear that others are suffering with this brutal symptom. It's [...] heartbreaking stuff, actually, but knowing that others are experiencing the same things can validate what we're all going through.

I know we've all had the experience of being questioned and/or not believed, since this type of dizziness seems not to show up on objective tests. However, my tight leg and foot muscles -- which can be palpated and verified [...] all -- attest to the fact that my body is trying very hard not to fall. Thankfully, I haven't fallen. But I know that others have, and that's no joke for those whose bones may be on the fragile side. I keep thinking of elderly people who are put on these medications, only to fall and break a hip. That's serious. And [...]. And it should be prevented. In any case, please, Everyone, take care, go slow, and sit down if you're feeling really unsteady. Please don't fall!

Okay, I wanted to respond to [...] on one of the questions about meds: Yes, I think that any of the "antivertiginous" medications can be problematic and are only meant for short-term, acute episodes, as far as I've read. So, that's antihistamines, anticholinergics, benzodiazepines, etc. Central compensation is the process [...] which the vestibular system normalizes itself, so anything that suppresses or slows that process is not good. Also, these medications tend to cause sedation, which of course, increases the chances of a fall and decreases one's ability to do the very thing required to help with central compensation.  :(

And [...], we'[...] just wait patiently to hear your story, so please do come back when your boat isn't rocking to and fro so violently. As per your request, I have added your most excellent suggestions to my initial list since I can still modify it. Your post made me break out into a wide smile, and I can assure you, that hasn't happened much lately. There's been a lot more moaning and groaning than smiling and laughing, and I know that everyone here knows why.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:31:55 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

[...], on the reading thing: I use reading as a way to divert my attention. On-screen action in videos is horrible, though, so I avoid that, but I need to feed my brain. So I read. I have to look away from the screen at regular intervals, though, as we all should. Eyeballs need a break too!

Anyone else?

[Buddie]

Here's a list of "Falls Related Medication Side Effects" from the Department of Health in Victoria, Australia. It's clearly laid out and detailed, and I think it gives a stunning sense of how problematic medications can be when it comes to balance.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/agedcare/maintaining/falls_dev/downloads/B1E8_3%285%29%20and%20B2F5%20Falls%20related%20medication%20side%20effects.pdf