stomach

[km...]

Hi all,

Anyone have stomach problems during w/d?  I'm having a pain on rt side just under my rib cage then at times iy feels like someone has their hands around my mis section squeezing it.

Kristin

Hi all,

Anyone have stomach problems during w/d?  I'm having a pain on rt side just under my rib cage then at times iy feels like someone has their hands around my mis section squeezing it.

Kristin

Hi Kmarie,

I had this issue as well, it was not that fun to deal with. It does get much better as you get off the benzos, take care.

Hi all,

Kristin

I didn't get the stomach symptoms, Kristin, but have read plenty of posts by those who have. One who leaps to mind right now is the other Senior Moderator, Lori Lee.  I believe she got checked out by a doctor just to make sure it wasn't anything else and I know it got better.

I have had stomach problems while on benzos, tapering off and still do after I am off. I have known acid reflux disease and get gastritis too. I have no clear idea of what is/is not related to the benzos, to hard to sort out.

Pokey

Hi Kristin,

I had the squeezing in my chest and upper abdomen area.  At times, I felt like I couldn't breathe, like I was being crushed.  It's simply amazing that withdrawal can affect every part of your body, every part.  I think if you read enough posts and enough of the information on the internet about benzo withdrawal, you won't find a single part of the human body that can't be affected. 

Try to be calm and know this is your body coming back to life and healing.  I didn't know healing meant hurting until I stopped benzo's, but that's what happens.

Pam

I had the squeezing in my chest and upper abdomen area.  At times, I felt like I couldn't breathe, like I was being crushed.

Me too!  I had/have that exact same feeling.  What is it about these drugs?  It's weird.  I wonder how many of us have ended up with a hiatal hernia.  I know I have one.  I probably had it before benzos, but I didn't notice it much.  Now its really bad.  It feels like my stomach is in my chest.  I know this can happen from severe stress, that's why I'm wondering if others have developed this problem.  The good news is that there are massage techniques and pressure points that can eventually bring it down, but it can take a long time of concerted effort.  I'm sure it will resolve much more easily after the withdrawals are all gone.

Incidentally, my newest symptom is bad indigestion.  It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, I'm going to feel like there's a brick in my stomach about an hour later.  I also get really tired and my heart speeds up when this happens.  I hope this passes like all the other nasty w/d sx. 

Hi,

Just wanted to assure everyone that I've been benzo free since Oct 2007 and all of the symptoms I lived with for so long after my CT are gone.  Take heart, things will get better when you're healed.

Pam

Thanks Pamster....I really needed to hear that!  It makes me want to cry.  Just to know that one day I'll be able to look back like you, and my stomach won't hurt and my throat won't be strangling, and my legs won't be burning and aching.  Not to mention the misery in all the other body parts i didn't mention. 

I cannot even imagine how bad off you might have been, going c/t off 8 mg Klon....OMG.  You must have been horribly sick, were you? 

--adelia

HI kmarie-I've had stomach problems on my taper-pain is under my breastbone and my gut gets to actually spasm-Same as Lori Lee one of the moderators-Usually worse right after I eat-Lots of gas-bloating-IBS-JIM

Hi all,

Another day of w/d is about over with.  I'm going tomorrow to the dr to get checked for diabetes.  I keep having dizzy, shakiness spells, and anxiety but then I eat and these subside.  I didn't want to see any doctors for 6 months but I can't handle these symptoms anymore and want to know for sure if these are w/d symptoms or diabetes.  My mom and brother took my daughter to eat and I feel so guilty because I was so anxiety ridden to go with them.  My poor daughter doesn't even have a mother because of these horrible drugs. 

Hi all,

Another day of w/d is about over with.  I'm going tomorrow to the dr to get checked for diabetes.  I keep having dizzy, shakiness spells, and anxiety but then I eat and these subside.  I didn't want to see any doctors for 6 months but I can't handle these symptoms anymore and want to know for sure if these are w/d symptoms or diabetes.  My mom and brother took my daughter to eat and I feel so guilty because I was so anxiety ridden to go with them.  My poor daughter doesn't even have a mother because of these horrible drugs. 

Hi kmarie,

Sounds like hypoglycemia to me (low blood sugar). Mine was much worse while tapering my benzo but is much better now. I still have to make sure and eat small meals to avoid the shakes. Let us know how your doctor visit goes!

Theresa did you ever go to the doctor about the hypoglycemia?  Did you ever passout or anything horrible?

I always mentioned to doctors that I was once told I had borderline hypoglycemia and they all say the same thing, "try and eat small meals throughout the day instead of eating a lot only 3X/day. That will keep the blood sugar level even."

I never passed out or nothing ever horrible happened. Many times it is an uncomfortable feeling, having the shakes and I tend to over eat to make it go away. They recommend eating some high protein snacks between meals, like peanuts, cheese sticks or something like that.

Oh kmarie,

Your daughter certainly has a mother who loves her very much.  Loves her enough to look the benzo beast in the eyes and fight to get her life back.  When you're healed your daughter will have a mother who is present in her life.  One who won't miss a thing because she'll be clear headed and grateful to be healed.  Please don't worry about what you're missing.  This process robs us of so much, but we can make up for it when we're healed.

Don't worry about going to the Dr, I had to go many times during my recovery, we all reach that point of desperation.  I hope you don't have diabetes, I hope it's withdrawal symptoms, because if that's what it is, you're going to be rid of it when you're well.

Please don't despair about your daughter, you're giving her the greatest gift you can give her, YOU. :angel:

Pam :smitten:

Thanks for the support everyone.  I just want my life back.  I need to lose weight so I can't imagine being hypoglycemic I have enough fat stored for 3 winters from being on all the meds.  I'm just glad I have a few windows in a week it helps me feel the healing process.

You have such a kind way of explaining things Pamster.  So nice to read. 

hey, Kmarie!  I agree with Pamster.  Well, and others too.  In my first weeks of w/d's, I had some very similar (nearly exact) symptoms of hypoglycemia.  And being that I'd had it in the past, I knew what it was.  I'd even get it a short time AFTER eating, which was weird, so I'd eat again!  But it's quite distressing, isn't it?  And sure doesn't help the other w/d situations. 

And...just one more symptom to make us think we are either losing our minds, or developing yet one more exotic or life-threatening disease!!!  :tickedoff:

After going through w/d's for 3 months now (egads), it seems to me that benzo w/d's definitely mess with carbohydrate metabolism  -- perhaps even in the brain, I wouldn't be surprised.  I also had severe sugar cravings, bloated belly, etc.  So after the dizzy/weak/hypoglycemic events, I started eating more protein...much more....and more fat (to slow digestion to sugar) and reluctantly, had to stop eating sugar.  :'(  And then had to go on a Candida program (no sugar, yeast-killing herbs and probiotics), because hypoglycemia can also be a symptom of that.  Not to say it is, but it can be.  Coupled with sugar cravings and bloated belly, chances were good. 

The hypoglycemia has not returned, in several months.  Lost a few pounds too.  Which was good, because with all that eating, I was gaining about a pound a week! 

Didn't stop my STOMACH FROM HURTING though....it still hurts.

--adelia

Hi kmarie,

I was just reading about your squeezing mid section and can so relate to this. Mine is so bad though it's right around to my entire back and spine. It feels like it's in every bone in my torso and doesn't let up at all. I have it from the time I wake up until I finally fall asleep which is a very hard thing to do when it feels like I'm a piece of twisted metal sticking out in every direction along with the vibrations, numbness and tingling.

I just thought I'd let you know you're not alone with the crushing feeling and so wish I could have some kind of relief from it all as it's 24/7 and getting very tiring to say the least.

Try and think of how your daughter will love to have a mom one day who will be able to do all the things she wants to do instead of what you can't do with her now. I started this to late to be able to do this with my kids and wish I'd of been able to do it sooner but had no idea what these poisons were doing to me. Take care.

went to dr and have to monitor blood sugar for hypoglycemia. told him about wd and he said he couldnt help ease symptoms i had to struggle thru wanted to put me on anti depresant and i said no. he said he was concerned because of me being single mom but respected my wishes.  i just want this to b over im tired of the shakes i feel like a drug addict in detox

went to dr and have to monitor blood sugar for hypoglycemia. told him about wd and he said he couldnt help ease symptoms i had to struggle thru wanted to put me on anti depresant and i said no. he said he was concerned because of me being single mom but respected my wishes.  i just want this to b over im tired of the shakes i feel like a drug addict in detox

Glad you are being checked out. Did he tell you to try and eat small meals throughout the day?

Yes he told me to eat several small meals a day. Wow now I get to go thru w/d and constantly eat and get fatter.  My gosh life sucks right now.

Yes he told me to eat several small meals a day. Wow now I get to go thru w/d and constantly eat and get fatter.  My gosh life sucks right now.

I couldnt help but lol when I read that. I dont think your supposed to double your food intake, I believe your supposed to just eat smaller portions more often. Actually alot of diets I've tried have had me doing that. Yuck, it's time to try that again anyway  :sick::laugh:

Hang in there!

Amanda  :smitten: