Stevie Nicks talks about Klonopin (worse than cocaine)

[be...]

Then the Klonopin really kicked in. To go from The Other Side of the Mirror to Street Angel…that was difficult. I was a wreck and the album was a wreck. They're called "tranquilizers" for a reason. You stop being so committed. This doctor had me on it for eight years. Forty-seven days in rehab to get off Klonopin was way more horrific than 30 days to get off coke. The word "tranquilizer" should scare people to death. Xanax should scare people to death. My godson died three years ago at a frat party — Xanax and alcohol, goodbye.

The full article is here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/stevie-nicks-fleetwood-mac-twirling-drugs-lindsey-buckingham-20141002?page=2

Then the Klonopin really kicked in. To go from The Other Side of the Mirror to Street Angel…that was difficult. I was a wreck and the album was a wreck. They're called "tranquilizers" for a reason. You stop being so committed. This doctor had me on it for eight years. Forty-seven days in rehab to get off Klonopin was way more horrific than 30 days to get off coke. The word "tranquilizer" should scare people to death. Xanax should scare people to death. My godson died three years ago at a frat party — Xanax and alcohol, goodbye.

The full article is here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/stevie-nicks-fleetwood-mac-twirling-drugs-lindsey-buckingham-20141002?page=2

thank you for posting.....Benzos are bad news for sure ! :)

I'm reading a biography of her right now. As soon as I started reading, I jumped right to the section on Klonopin. What she went through is horrible.

Let's hear it for Stevie Nicks!

Good article. I didn't know her godson died from xanax and alcohol..horrible.

Iggy

I'm reading a biography of her right now. As soon as I started reading, I jumped right to the section on Klonopin. What she went through is horrible.

Does she get into more detail about the benzo experience in the book?

I've seen it mentioned in numerous interviews and she talks about the severity of it but not the duration. She is obviously healed or at least mostly healed cause as far as I know she was back out working and performing within a couple of years of her detox but I would be curious to know how long it took her to get back on her feet.

FG, I quickly read about her struggles in the book, but I left the rest for later when I actually get to that point. I'll try and sum it up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi FG, Stevie mentioned an instance where she was hosting a shower at her home and had just a sip of some champagne that she was serving. She fell on the floor and blacked out. She then realized that the Klonopin was causing the problems she'd had with lack of motivation. She'd sit around all day watching TV and eating in and gained weight (sounds very familiar!), not being interested in writing much. She did an experiment by having a friend take the same amount that she would normally take, just to see if he could still function okay, and he was incapable of doing anything. Her psychiatrist said, "Are you trying to kill him?" when she told him that. And she said back to him, "Are you trying to kill me?" The psychiatrist was a guy who was a wannabe, wanted to find out all the inside stuff about famous rock groups and was basically useless as a doctor, wanted her to keep coming back for more K. I don't know what the highest dosage that she took was.

She spent years, after going to detox for K (in 1993, I believe, after 8 years of use), trying to get her life back, and her writing started going downhill during the K years. And for some time after that (2 or 3 years?), she slowly started gaining momentum again in her songwriting. She used songs she'd already written in earlier years to put out an album, for one thing. 

The reason Stevie got on K in the first place was because her band members and friends were afraid that she would relapse into cocaine after going to detox. So they urged her to go to a psychiatrist.

She blames the psychiatrist forever and blames Klonopin usage for not having a marriage and kids, something she always wanted. She said it was much worse than cocaine, both in trying to quit and because of her artistic life drying up during both her use and after detox.

What's in the book is basically what's been mentioned online about her.

Really sad. And yet here we are, nothing much changed between then and now when it comes to doctors prescribing these pills. There is nothing good and everything bad that she has to say about K. 

Terry, i have tried to find out just how much Klonopin She was taking daily and also she said she was in a Detox Facility for almost 2 month my question is what did she do once she got out and how or what did she do to get herself back together ? I grew up with her music and still love it but she is very vauge on the points i mentioned on after her rapid detox i wish she would open up more on what she did it might help alot of us right? ~CD

Terry, i have tried to find out just how much Klonopin She was taking daily and also she said she was in a Detox Facility for almost 2 month my question is what did she do once she got out and how or what did she do to get herself back together ? I grew up with her music and still love it but she is very vauge on the points i mentioned on after her rapid detox i wish she would open up more on what she did it might help alot of us right? ~CD

its hard to believe she has never read here.

she. is very vague on the subject imo

its strange, because i never heard of someone confirming that she is fully healed...

people do not know, and she never told about it in public...

I read somewhere she had to go back and live with her Mom

for nearly three years....

Morreweg, i think she either went to live with her FATHER OR BROTHER  in Arizona for a couple of years i really wish she would tell more about how she got thru it !~CD

I read somewhere she had to go back and live with her Mom

for nearly three years....

Morreweg, i think she either went to live with her FATHER OR BROTHER  in Arizona for a couple of years i really wish she would tell more about how she got thru it !~CD

So do I.....can't find anything tho.

I haved searched also can`t find anything either just love to know how she got herself together or maybe she did not ? Saw her play last year she was Awsome so she seems ok but...... who know? Hope all is well Morreweg !~CD

I remember finding her blogging somewhere a long time ago.  She spoke of having panic attacks during the course of some parts of her day and breathing through them.

I suspect she made it through all this much the same as we all do.  She is after all, just like the rest of us in so many ways. 

The benzos have their own life they give all of us, and it makes us all more alike than apart.

I have always loved her music and videos, she's so very talented with all that.

I wish there was a timeline of how long it took Stevie to come back to writing fully and being interested in her life again and also how much K she was taking when she went to detox. That's not gone over in the book, unfortunately. And I think that there was a stigma, as there still is now, about w/d lasting so long, so she might have just gone into hiding, not knowing what was wrong with her (?). She retired to the desert after rehab and made the album Street Angel, released in 1994. Another thing is that Stevie's weight got to its highest (175 pounds at 5'1", I think), and she was really feeling down about that as well as mourning her loss of creativity. 

This is the book: http://www.amazon.com/Stevie-Nicks-Visions-Dreams-Rumors/dp/1468310666

I really wonder if the author even talked to Stevie. I tend to think that she took all the info she could find, that's already on the Internet, and just made it into a book. But I don't know for sure.

I haved searched also can`t find anything either just love to know how she got herself together or maybe she did not ? Saw her play last year she was Awsome so she seems ok but...... who know? Hope all is well Morreweg !~CD

Who knows indeed....thanks for the video ,i enjoyed it.

I'm ok <CD....sort off, :) hope you are alright as well.

Who knows indeed....thanks for the video ,i enjoyed it.

I'm ok <CD....sort off, :) hope you are alright as well.

Sort of ok myself i think  :crazy:! ~CD

For anyone who's interested, there's a video of an interview with Stevie Nicks where she mentions benzos on this web page.  http://www.benzodocs.com/benzo_videos.php  There are several similar interviews on YouTube where she discusses her problems with benzos.

For those who don't know Stevie Nicks, she shot to fame as a singer with Fleetwood Mac.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py3w5fttedA

For anyone who's interested, there's a video of an interview with Stevie Nicks where she mentions benzos on this web page.  http://www.benzodocs.com/benzo_videos.php 

There are several similar interviews on YouTube where she discusses her problems with benzos.

For those who don't know Stevie Nicks, she shot to fame as a singer with Fleetwood Mac.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py3w5fttedA

Thanks Braban.....couple of good videos on there, I shall post it

on my Blog too, share with others. :thumbsup: