NYT writer blogs about her anxiety meds (including benzos) w/d

[lo...]

I just came across this. The NYT writer Diana Spechler has decided to get off her anxiety meds and is blogging about the experience in NYT. The latest blog is about her cuts with lorazepam. We should support her in the comment section!  Here it is: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/21/fear-and-withdrawal/?_r=0

Hi,

In my opinion ...supporting anyone outside this Community is fine.

But wouldn't it be great if she joined BenzoBuddies and this Forum

would have an article in the NYT. :)

For all we know she is already a member.

I think when people participate on the open boards here it is supposed to be anonymously so nobody would know if she joined. At least i think those are the rules.

Let's pray that she is one of the fortunate.  Believe me, I did not look at benzo withdrawal - didn't even cross my mind that my body became addicted -  when I decided to stop cold turkey.  Who knew?  So the symptoms of withdrawal were neither contrived nor a subconscious coupling to some previously viewed list.  It was after exhaustive searches and doc visits that a nagging thought popped up:  my symptoms started after stopping taking this med?  Could there be a correlation?  I hope this young lady's recovery continues to be peaceful.

I think when people participate on the open boards here it is supposed to be anonymously so nobody would know if she joined. At least i think those are the rules.

I can't follow you.....whats wrong in having connections to the NYT and

getting word out about the benefits of Colin's Forum.

never seen a rule like that....

no that's fine. Any writer can publicize the forum.

she would  just have to remain anonymous as a member as I understand the rules. So like I said she could already be on here for all we know. That's all.

no that's fine. Any writer can publicize the forum.

she would  just have to remain anonymous as a member as I understand the rules. So like I said she could already be on here for all we know. That's all.

Yes, understand now what you mean.....

Chances are she already has come across our forum when she googled w/d. However, it would be great to give the forum another public voice. It may help those that don't know it exists find it and get help.

From reading this one particular segment of her story, it seems that Diana is doing well. My hope is that more and more people keep coming forward with stories of their own w/d so that the horrors of benzo w/d are blown wide open and the word will get out to a wide range of people. I admire Diana for chronicling her struggles with Ativan w/d. This is definitely a step in the right direction. Thank you for the link!

I saw this article in the NYT this week. The title captured my eye and I was eager to read the text. I am pleased the author is having a mild experience but was disappointed it did not shed light on the people having a difficult time. The NYT is a well read periodical and I had hoped Ms. Spechlers article would bring this often devastating experience some reputable press. Maybe some of her following articles will cover the losses and pain so common here on BB. My hubby read her piece, shook his head and said....she makes it seem like a walk in the park. It may be for some...but for others it is a nightmare.

Carita

I saw the article in the Times on Sunday and then found the link and a previous article on-line.  She already had over 550 comments so I didn't even make a dent in them, especially since the first ones I read were taking up the debate over whether people should be on antidepressants for depression.  My feeling wasn't so much that she was having a walk in the park.  I just thought she wasn't very far into yet.  It's really pretty brave of her to chronicle this publicly as she goes.  I'm a writer and doing a book about this, but I won't feel confident to go public until I get through to the happy ending of my story! :)

One more comment after going back and re-reading her column, which I'd already clipped.  Each person has their own story to tell and I think she should be allowed to tell hers without feeling that she can only do it if she advertises the BB Board and explains the broad range of suffering experienced by people going off of these drugs.  I'm going to be watching her columns with great interest because I think she's only just begun to fight, that is, if she actually gets off of everything she's on.  My husband says he wonders if the NYTimes will want to quit publishing it if it goes on and on and her time frame for healing isn't as fast as she's clearly hoping.  In my book I will definitely be mentioning BB by name, because it was by coming on here that I realized I was just one tiny part of a much larger story of suffering that needs to be told.