Sexual problems with long term benzodiazepine use

[Sp...]

I have noticed when i was switched from lorazepam to diazepam my sex drive became completely non existant and i had difficulty maintaining an erection. I also noticed that when i have an orgasm since being on diazepam the pleasure is greatly diminished, and my genitals kind of feel numb. I took citalopram (SSRI) in 2007, and this also caused sex drive and orgasm problems which definetly persisted for a long time after i stopped the citalopram (post SSRI sexual dysfunction). What i am worried about is how much of my sexual problems are caused by the previous use of citalopram, and how much is caused by the diazepam. It is strange but i felt the lorazepam didn't affect me as much as the diazepam did regarding the sexual problems. I know that diazepam is at least partly responsible as the only time i feel slightly horny is when i am in withdrawal. These sexual problems started when i first took citalopram in 2007, but now i feel diazepam has also caused some sexual side effects. Before taking citalopram or benzos i had a high sex drive and everything worked normally. What i wanted to ask is has anyone else suffered this problem and if they have, did it all go back to normal after coming off benzos? The thought of never being able to enjoy sex again is terrifying as i am only 29, and the sexual problems is the main reason i want to get off benzos. I have had almost no sex drive whatsoever since starting benzos and brief use of citalopram in 2007. The many years of not having a sex drive has caused a lot of depression and problems in my personal life. Sorry if this post is a bit embarassing.

SSRI's totally destroyed my sex drive and ability. When I came off them this problem went away pretty quick. When I was just on xanax I had a hard time reaching an orgasm. Lol some might not call this a problem ;)  Also think I lost some interest in sex, but that could be partially because of the issue noted above. When I crossed over the valium I still had the issue.  I am finding the lower I get on the valium dosages, the problem is going away.

A lot of people have mentioned sexual dysfunction during use or in withdrawal.  I think it's fairly common, in fact I did a search starting with 'sexual' and got dozens of threads from the past.

It's completely legitimate to ask these questions....no need to be embarrassed.  :thumbsup:

I believe that the Xanax I am on is causing the very same problem you are discussing here.I also believe that this medication and ones like it do so many things to our bodies both physically and emotionally and until we come off of them only then will we realize how much they affect us.I think it goes to show that while you are only 29 and I am in my mid fifties we are both experiencing the same issues the common thread would be this medication. I guess we can start putting a list together of things that will improve when we get off of this medication and I'm sure this will be one of them.

I have noticed when i was switched from lorazepam to diazepam my sex drive became completely non existant and i had difficulty maintaining an erection. I also noticed that when i have an orgasm since being on diazepam the pleasure is greatly diminished, and my genitals kind of feel numb. I took citalopram (SSRI) in 2007, and this also caused sex drive and orgasm problems which definetly persisted for a long time after i stopped the citalopram (post SSRI sexual dysfunction). What i am worried about is how much of my sexual problems are caused by the previous use of citalopram, and how much is caused by the diazepam. It is strange but i felt the lorazepam didn't affect me as much as the diazepam did regarding the sexual

problems. I know that diazepam is at least partly responsible as the only time i feel slightly horny is when i am in withdrawal. These sexual problems started when i first took citalopram in 2007, but now i feel diazepam has also caused some sexual side effects. Before taking citalopram or benzos i had a high sex drive and everything worked normally. What i wanted to ask is has anyone else suffered this problem and

if they have, did it all go back to normal after coming off benzos? The thought of

never being able to enjoy sex again is terrifying as i am only 29, and the sexual problems is the main reason i want to get off benzos. I have had almost no sex drive whatsoever since starting benzos and brief use of citalopram in 2007. The many years of not having a sex drive has caused a lot of depression and problems in my personal life. Sorry if this post is a bit embarassing.

Not embarrasing ...quite interesting actually !

I think psych.meds in general can affect every inch of the human body

and brain. They can numb our feelings too.

But once you come off this poison and given enough time for healing....

your system will return to the normal state.

Being a woman might be slightly different but nevertheless,

i just realized that my feelings for love making was shut down for

a number of years.....and now they are back.

What a difference....unbelievable what these drugs can do to us.

Matt Samet went through Hell in order to come off,

four years later he became father ...so don't worry.......

something to look forward to, i guess. :)

I've not used benzos for long. However I've been using SSRI's for over a decade. And yes- I've been having sexual dysfunction for some time.

But what little I had- drained away once I mixed in my Ativan.  Once a month- maybe.

If you want an insatiable sex drive again it's quite simple.

Zinc supplement. Watermelon, smashed up garlic clove, lots of onions.

Some testosterone boosting exercises ... squats, bench press, upright rows.

Good sleep.

Don't eat fried crap foods.

Mr Happy will be back in no time.

Thanks for the replies guys. I never realised just how insidious these drugs were until it was too late. When i was first put on them, they worked really well and i asked my GP if there was any withdrawal from them. He said there was a withdrawal but it wasn't " medically significant". By the time i realised how bad the withdrawal was it was too late and the only way i could get off them was by a time consuming taper. These drugs have robbed so much from me, in so many different ways. I have lost most of my youth, and the sexual problems from the SSRI's and benzos have caused two relationships to come to an end. The biggest surprise has been how clueless the medical establishment seems to be regarding these drugs. A consultant psychiatrist tried to withdraw me from 3.5 mg of lorazepam to nothing in 6 weeks. I refused to do this, and was advised by battle against tranquilizers in the UK that this withdrawal could have potentially caused seizures that might have been life threatening. I complained to the consultant psychiatrist in writing that this was a potentially dangerous way to withdraw benzodiazepines. He put in writing that 6 weeks total withdrawal from benzodiazepines was both common and an acceptable time frame for withdrawing benzodiazepines. And this guy was a consultant psychiatrist!!

Morreweg; i was just wondering if you meant benzos definitely caused loss of sex drive when you were on them, but then your sex drive came back to normal when you came completely off them? I just wanted to be clear.

Westcoast82; i regularly lift weights and eat well etc, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. These benzos seem to have a powerful affect on brain chemistry.

spruce ? yes......definitely lost sex drive when i was on them....

but at the time didn't realize, you know what i mean ?

so now its back to normal.....and I'm bloody angry actually.....

those Pharma Company Bosses ought to be castrated, :laugh:

Yes i am very angry too morreweg. I hope i can get over the anger though. I dont want to feel angry and bitter for the rest of my life. When you mean lost your sex drive was it like you stopped thinking about sex, and after a while you got used to not having a sex drive, and then when you came off the benzos, you realised that wasn't normal, and now i have my sex drive back? Also how long do you feel you lost your sex drive for if you dont mind me asking? Do you reckon you will be able to get over the anger?

Yes i am very angry too morreweg. I hope i can get over the anger though. I dont want to feel angry and bitter for the rest of my life. When you mean lost your sex drive was it like you stopped thinking about sex, and after a while you got used to not having a sex drive, and then when you came off the benzos, you realised that wasn't normal, and now i have my sex drive back? Also how long do you feel you lost your sex drive for if you dont mind me asking? Do you reckon you will be able to get over the anger?

Gosh, this is getting embarrasing a bit.....but who cares ?

important subject i think.

Thinking about sex ? well, more or less lost interest , like before it was

part of my life and enjoyable. After getting on this poison it was more

like a duty. :laugh: not funny really.

Looking back now this went on for years because i was a long time

user......and now its back to normal, thinking about it too .

I suppose i will get over the anger as time goes by......

but this crminal madness has to stop.....wish i knew how.

I hope your questions are answered and i also hope i don't

get bashed for my honesty ........but if i do ....i can take it. ;)

Castration would be a good first step...

Yes questions answered morreweg. Your experience gives me hope. Lets hope my sex drive will return when i get off the benzos too. Doctors have a lot to answer for. I wouldn't be surprised if there were documentaries in the future about how barbaric treating mental illness with benzos was and also how barbaric the withdrawal could be.

Yes questions answered morreweg. Your experience gives me hope. Lets hope my sex drive will return when i get off the benzos too. Doctors have a lot to answer for. I wouldn't be surprised if there were documentaries in the future about how barbaric treating mental illness with benzos was and also how barbaric the withdrawal could be.

:thumbsup:  :)

Castration would be a good first step...

Dont worry folks...

They digged huge graves for themselves....

No way they can escape universal law of wrong doing....

The last 6 months of my taper off SEROQUEL - I was wondering if I would ever get (let me blunt) really hard again. I was thinking, oh well, I am over 50 now and this is what happens - too many blue pill commercials, ugh, another drug to hook men on !!  :idiot:

Now that I am 42 days off Seroquel I am waking up in the morning like a rock and having SEX Dreams !! ..  :laugh:

On Seroquel I had no dreams just a black blankness.

I noticed I started dreaming again after about 3 weeks of my last dose of "Suzy -Q."

My Klonopin taper is down from 8mgs a year ago to 4mgs today. I have been on K for 20 years. Once that drug is out of my system I may need sex 3 times a day!  I hope !!  :D

My marriage is down the drain because my NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) Nurse wife of 22 years is not interested in sex. She would rather have me doped on a psyche "cocktail" locked into the couch changing channels when I could find the clicker. She is either gay or having an affair and at this point I don't care.  :o

I had more sex in High School than in my marriage.

Looking forward to meeting a Woman who enjoys being feminine and a "Woman."  :smitten:

Drug-Free I am hoping to have a full sex life - wild and crazy passion that once existed in my life.

So I am noticing a big change in my sexual desire and response, even though I have not had sex in 3 months or so ...  :P

I am even ready at this point but obviously K-Drug must also be playing a role in my loss of desire. That is all changing so I guess I am just chiming in that sex without psyche drugs seems to be on the horizon.

Personally I think sex is an important piece of the human condition and is one of the most healthy activities a couple can enjoy to bond their love for one another and find deep spiritual connection.

peace & love,

Skidreamer

Hi sorry to hear of your problems. The doctors never bother to tell you these drugs can rob your sex drive/ sex life, often for many years. I wonder if they are ignorant to this, or they just dont think its important. Either way it is no excuse. I was wondering if you found that as you got older you start losing your sex drive anyway? I am 29 almost 30, and worried it is all downhill in the sex department after 30 anyway, even if i heal and get off the benzos. I feel if i do recover my best "sex years" are behind me. I dont mean to sound conceited but i am a goodlooking man, and i get a fair amount of attention off women, but ever since getting on SSRI's and benzos at 21 i havent been able to enjoy sex. My ex psychiatrist is adamant it is nothing to do with the drugs, which makes me furious, as it blatently is. I think i know my body better than the psychiatrist. I feel my looks are going to start to fade soon and although i know personality is as important as looks,  i feel when you are young and look your best is the best opportunity to be able to attract someone you want as a partner. Sorry if this post seems a bit shallow, but i am just being honest about how i feel. I feel so robbed

Hi sorry to hear of your problems. The doctors never bother to tell you these drugs can rob your sex drive/ sex life, often for many years. I wonder if they are ignorant to this, or they just dont think its important. Either way it is no excuse. I was wondering if you found that as you got older you start losing your sex drive anyway? I am 29 almost 30, and worried it is all downhill in the sex department after 30 anyway, even if i heal and get off the benzos. I feel if i do recover my best "sex years" are behind me. I dont mean to sound conceited but i am a goodlooking man, and i get a fair amount of attention off women, but ever since getting on SSRI's and benzos at 21 i havent been able to enjoy sex. My ex psychiatrist is adamant it is nothing to do with the drugs, which makes me furious, as it blatently is. I think i know my body better than the psychiatrist. I feel my looks are going to start to fade soon and although i know personality is as important as looks,  i feel when you are young and look your best is the best opportunity to be able to attract someone you want as a partner. Sorry if this post seems a bit shallow, but i am just being honest about how i feel. I feel so robbed

I think you are right on the mark. No need to apologize. Calling like you see it and how it is for the most part. After 30, 40, or 50. -  I don't think you lose your sex drive - I know now I have not nor never really did. But sex changes. You desire for what you want sexually changes to some degree. Touch, length of time spent in foreplay increases, satisfying your partner becomes more of important than getting "yours."

"Sex is like Chinese food, it isn't over until you both get your cookies." - Alec Baldwin the Dad in "Outside Providence" - great stoner movie about the 70s !!

Do your best to taper off and your sex drive will come back full strength. And approaching thirty if you wish to marry its about the time to start defining what you really want in a partner and going places where you may find that person. You can't back the ones who have passed you by or vice - versa but you can find the right partner to make you happy and your life more fulfilling today.

My advice don't worry about it lasting forever. You will be frozen in your tracks. I made the mistake of thinking maybe there is something better down the road or maybe she is not the One .... some of those thoughts still haunt me 30 years later. You only get one shot at love with someone and if its real - hold on tight.

peace,

Skidreamer

Was wondering skidreamer as someone who is a bit older, do you feel in all honesty that its almost too late at 30 to make up for what i missed out on? I feel that even if i heal in the next few years i will still feel forever robbed of my best years, and i will always feel regret. I dont want to always feel this regretful as it gnaws at me everyday almost like a physical pain, and its unpleasant. Do you think if i recover i will eventually be able to forget about this whole 9-10 years of no sex drive and be able to make up for it and not feel bitter after a while? I only ask as somene who is older i thought you might have a better perspective on the age thing.

Was wondering skidreamer as someone who is a bit older, do you feel in all honesty that its almost too late at 30 to make up for what i missed out on? I feel that even if i heal in the next few years i will still feel forever robbed of my best years, and i will always feel regret. I dont want to always feel this regretful as it gnaws at me everyday almost like a physical pain, and its unpleasant. Do you think if i recover i will eventually be able to forget about this whole 9-10 years of no sex drive and be able to make up for it and not feel bitter after a while? I only ask as somene who is older i thought you might have a better perspective on the age thing.

Sex does not stop or is over at 30 by any means. It becomes more an act of love than an act of youthful impulse. Chillax you will get your sex drive back. Now am I missing something? Do you have zero desire for any sex of form of physical intimacy with a partner for the past 9 years? If that is the case you might need to talk with a therapist. I have been married during my psyche drug experiment so I had sex when she was willing but not as much sex as I wanted - I am talking once a month? Maybe twice on a good month.

Sex for me was and always has been a stress outlet besides all the other good stuff like intimacy and love. Being 54 I still want sex and want it more now that I am off Seroquel and my K-Drug dose is half of what it once was.

I want touch, I want to touch a woman, I want love and to be loved. The desire is there and the goods are working so I am ready when my head is ready to start a new relationship. Hang in there. Sex only begins at 30 as I said in my 20s it was all about the act and not as much about the love.  8)

I know that now but did not know that then. Youth is wasted on the young ....... ?  :thumbsup:

peace bro,

Skidreamer