Anxiety, my worst symptom

[jb...]

Its been about 3 weeks since I took my last Ativan (whoohoo).  I stayed too long on a cut (2 months at .125mg) because the anxiety had returned and I figured it must mean that I needed to stay at that dose until I stablized.  WRONG!  I was in tolerance withdrawal and that was why I was so anxious.  So I proceeded with my taper but never got over this particular symptom.  Now that I'm 3 weeks off it is still quite severe.  Its different than the anxiety I originally started taking the Ativan for.  Nothing seems to knock it down sometimes.  My old anxiety used to be worse in the morning, and by afternoon/evening I'd feel fairly normal.  Withdrawal anxiety starts out milder in the morning but as the day wears on, intensifies.  It gets so bad sometimes that I don't feel like I can bear it a moment longer without going insane.  But I do bear it - not much choice.  I did have a window of fresh, calm air 2 weeks ago, 5 blessed days of feeling good.  I keep that in my head when the anxiety gets to be too much.  If I had a window then, I can have another one.  And maybe this next one will last longer and the bad days will get shorter.  That is my hope at any rate.  I just wanted to post this here in case anyone else is struggling with anxiety and is looking for support.

Peace and calm to you all! :smitten:

Hi JB,

sorry that your anxiety is annoying you, the only thing that can heal this is time and patience, this is horrible yes but we must remain strong.

Hi jbyrd,

Sorry to hear that  you are having constant anxiety. I would drink chamomile tea during those awful times. Luckily for me, it turned out to be my thyroid causing it and once that became stable, my anxiety was gone.

I hope this eases up for you.  :(

T2 :smitten:

Its been about 3 weeks since I took my last Ativan (whoohoo).  I stayed too long on a cut (2 months at .125mg) because the anxiety had returned and I figured it must mean that I needed to stay at that dose until I stablized.  WRONG!  I was in tolerance withdrawal and that was why I was so anxious.  So I proceeded with my taper but never got over this particular symptom.  Now that I'm 3 weeks off it is still quite severe.  Its different than the anxiety I originally started taking the Ativan for.  Nothing seems to knock it down sometimes.  My old anxiety used to be worse in the morning, and by afternoon/evening I'd feel fairly normal.  Withdrawal anxiety starts out milder in the morning but as the day wears on, intensifies.  It gets so bad sometimes that I don't feel like I can bear it a moment longer without going insane.  But I do bear it - not much choice.  I did have a window of fresh, calm air 2 weeks ago, 5 blessed days of feeling good.  I keep that in my head when the anxiety gets to be too much.  If I had a window then, I can have another one.  And maybe this next one will last longer and the bad days will get shorter.  That is my hope at any rate.  I just wanted to post this here in case anyone else is struggling with anxiety and is looking for support.

Peace and calm to you all! :smitten:

Jbryd, I had such a similar experience.  My anxiety revved up the last month of my taper and I held my last cuts without any improvement.  After my final cut, it continued at that level for about 3-4 weeks and then I started seeing some periods of relief.  I did continue all my usual strategies, such as controlled breathing, walking, meditation, Tai Chi and Calms Forte all that time and think it did help me keep from going over the edge.  I didn't get any windows during that time so your having gotten 5 wonderful days just 2 weeks ago means more are on their way.  When I felt better, it came on suddenly, like waking up, and the usual no rhyme or reason to it.  However, after that it did happen as you are hoping: next ones lasted longer with bad days being shorter and less frequent.  I hope that next window opens for you this weekend.  :thumbsup:

The anxiety is really kicking me in the gut today!  It starts in the pit of my stomach and radiates out from there.  Its such a horrible feeling not being able to settle down!  This will end, right?

The anxiety is really kicking me in the gut today!  It starts in the pit of my stomach and radiates out from there.  Its such a horrible feeling not being able to settle down!  This will end, right?

Lady just posted these anxiety relaxation techniques...http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=12694.0

You are so early on finishing your taper, things should continue to get better!  :thumbsup:

Yes, it will end....I know the fear you're feeling that it won't ever leave you.  But, it will and when you're done with your withdrawal symptoms the anxiety you took the benzo for in the first place will seem like a mild case of the butterflies.  Hang on to your hope, you'll know peace when your body heals.

Pam

Thank you Pam and Theresa.  I do find that the breathing usually helps and I love the relaxing music, but for some reason the techniques don't seem to relieve this current form of anxiety.  It is relentless!  I will keep trying, though.  And I do appreciate hearing that it will eventually get better.  That day will be like winning the lottery!  Thank you again!

Jane

I didn't think it could get worse, but sure enough, it did!  I tried to go to the grocery today and when I got in there it was all I could do to get the few items on my list and hurry back home.  Its been a long time since I've had to do that.  Now its unbearable even sitting at home.  This needs to stop.  I'm forgetting what it feels like to be calm. 

I didn't think it could get worse, but sure enough, it did!  I tried to go to the grocery today and when I got in there it was all I could do to get the few items on my list and hurry back home.  Its been a long time since I've had to do that.  Now its unbearable even sitting at home.  This needs to stop.  I'm forgetting what it feels like to be calm. 

Hi jbyrd,

Just wondering if your thyroid has been checked recently? That is what gave me anxiety and once stabilized I was much better.

T2 :smitten:

I believe it was checked at my last drs appointment a couple months ago.  I'll call the office and check.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Jb,

anxiety hits all of us, even i had a rare case of it earlier and it fades away, just gotta learn how to cope and relax.