CBC TV and cbc.ca cover the issue of pharmacy errors

[La...]

CBC TV's "Marketplace" recently covered the issue of pharmacy errors. While it's a Canadian program, Walmart (an American-owned company) is featured prominently. Also, there's a mention of "anti-anxiety medication" in the section about a woman who was given a lower dose than she was used to. She talks about her symptoms, and for those of us familiar with withdrawal, it sounds like she was plunged head-first into it without being prepared. Neither the medication nor her side effects are named, though, so it's not completely clear.

There's also a companion article on the topic of pharmacy errors on the CBC website. It may not be possible for those outside Canada to view the 20-minute program, but if you DO watch it and/or if you read the article, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I've linked both items here:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2649645994/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pharmacists-say-corporate-pressure-can-lead-to-prescription-mistakes-1.2928309

Excellent, hard hitting documentary.  Alarming content, though, simply shocking what goes on!  She "saw the red flags but was too busy filling customer orders" to notify the patient of a life or death situation! :oops:  I wonder if she still has her job, especially after being so honest about it.    :tickedoff:

Thanks for sharing, as usual, Lap.  Our resident BenzoBuddies Scholar!  :thumbsup:

Hey Buddies, thanks for your comments! It's great to share things with people here and discuss the issues. There's power in knowledge.  :thumbsup:

Excellent, hard hitting documentary.  Alarming content, though, simply shocking what goes on!  She "saw the red flags but was too busy filling customer orders" to notify the patient of a life or death situation! :oops:  I wonder if she still has her job, especially after being so honest about it.    :tickedoff:

Thanks for sharing, as usual, Lap.  Our resident BenzoBuddies Scholar!  :thumbsup:

I agree, abcd! What I have trouble with as well as is the spokesperson's reaction. I know she wanted to be "diplomatic" and shine a positive light on things, but she would be so much more credible if she'd just be honest about the problems that have been brought to her attention. Many people refuse to even answer questions on camera, so I have to give her credit for appearing. But seriously! 

I think the program reinforces something that I keep learning over and over again, which is that we MUST be proactive, knowledgeable and vigilant about our health care. Even if you think it's someone else's job to do something, you might have to do it yourself. It's not right at all, but in the case of prescription medication, it may save you or someone you love from something bad happening. Read the labels. If it's a repeat prescription, look at the medication to make sure it's the one you had before. Ask your doctor for the proper spelling of the medication and dosage before you leave his/her office with the prescription, if it's handwritten. Look things up online and check reputable sources for things like side effects and interactions. Call a few pharmacies and ask for info if you're unsure about taking a medication. Etcetera.

Better to be safe than sorry!