Omeprazole / Diazepam / gastric and liver problems...please help.

[st...]

I have been experiencing pain and swelling under my right ribs, especially after eating, It started with a tingling pins and needles feeling just under my lower right rib, this was months ago, I thought that this was due to the way I was sitting, over the past week it has developed into pain and swelling and a bloated feeling, especially after a main meal, I found it uncomfortable to walk, when I lie down it helps and first thing in the morning there is no problem at all. I went to see the doctor about this and he prescribed Omeprazole gastro resistant capsules, I asked him if it was OK to take with diazepam and he said yes, then when I got back home I read the note that was in the packet and it said, please inform your doctor if you are taking any other medication, ESPECIALLY diazepam!......I rang him and pointed this out but he still said it was OK to take them because I was only on a small dose, so I trusted him, within two hours of taking it I was starting to feel as if I had CT'd, and at three in the morning I was shaking like a leaf and had to take half a pill extra to my normal dose, eventually after the Omeprazole wore off I started to feel better but was not right all day yesterday..... I have lost all faith in this doctor, but there is still something wrong with stomach/liver/gallbladder, but I am obviously not going to take the pills prescribed.............. now I don't know where to go from here and it takes ages to change doctors.

************************************************************************************************************

Over the past 24hrs I have cut out or cut down on milk/butter and reduced the fat content in my diet, this has not cured it but the discomfort is greatly reduced.......could there be a link here?

hi stevie caral here i too am taking omeprazole for ulcer type pain and read on leaflet do you take diazepam my doc also must know this i dont take too many now only when the acid comes up bad in the throat i had to take one during the night as it was bad dont know what to make of it myself but i shouldnt worry too much but if you had a bad reaction then best ring nhs direct to be certain ok caral    :)  :)

Hi Stevie,

The bloating and pain as well as the uncomfortable feeling after eating occurs with me, too.  I know mal suffered with it, too.  It is worse during the late afternoon and evening.  Hugs.

Patty  xo

Hey Stevie, I had an adverse reaction to Prilosec OTC.  An hour after I took it I felt like I was going to come out of my skin, could not stop pacing, had tachacardia, my blood pressure went through the roof and could not stop shaking. I did not sleep for 8 days.  Guess what?  They prescribed xanax and that is where my story began!!!  I had been in the hopital from a trauma accident where I was given so many different meds, duladen, morphin, vicodin, darvecette, motrin.  My psych Dr. is pretty sure that the reaction was caused by all the other meds that I had taken.  I would not take the prilosec again if I were you.  I took it for two days and it turned my life into hell for me.  I ended up on a theraputic dose of xanax at 2 mg a day!  One year later I am finally feeling better!  What a journey!

I too have had the hardness in my upper stomach with rib pain and bloating.  It has gotten better with time.  I do feel mine was due to my tapering and withdrawls.

I hope this helps. 

Good luck Stevie!  I am wishing you the best!

mal

Hey Stevie, I had an adverse reaction to Prilosec OTC.  An hour after I took it I felt like I was going to come out of my skin, could not stop pacing, had tachacardia, my blood pressure went through the roof and could not stop shaking. I did not sleep for 8 days.  Guess what?  They prescribed xanax and that is where my story began!!!  I had been in the hopital from a trauma accident where I was given so many different meds, duladen, morphin, vicodin, darvecette, motrin.  My psych Dr. is pretty sure that the reaction was caused by all the other meds that I had taken.  I would not take the prilosec again if I were you.  I took it for two days and it turned my life into hell for me.  I ended up on a theraputic dose of xanax at 2 mg a day!  One year later I am finally feeling better!  What a journey!

I too have had the hardness in my upper stomach with rib pain and bloating.  It has gotten better with time.  I do feel mine was due to my tapering and withdrawls.

I hope this helps. 

Hi Stevie,

The bloating and pain as well as the uncomfortable feeling after eating occurs with me, too.  I know mal suffered with it, too.  It is worse during the late afternoon and evening.  Hugs.

Patty  xo

hi stevie caral here i too am taking omeprazole for ulcer type pain and read on leaflet do you take diazepam my doc also must know this i dont take too many now only when the acid comes up bad in the throat i had to take one during the night as it was bad dont know what to make of it myself but i shouldnt worry too much but if you had a bad reaction then best ring nhs direct to be certain ok caral    :)  :)

Good luck Stevie!  I am wishing you the best!

mal

Thanks for all this information, it is so much appreciated. :thumbsup:

What I don't understand is I don't have any indigestion or heartburn, all the discomfort is under the right ribs where my liver is, what foods do I avoid......will thistle milk help?

Hey Stevie

just to let you know ..I had my gallbladder out a I think in August of 08 and had suffered for about 4 years with pain that came and went ..all my gb testing came out negative and liver was fine.. anyways to make a long story short ..I had to have it out and it tested positive for cholestitis or inflammation.. funny how I started having the pain soon after starting the xanax..  :tickedoff:

sounds like it is definately worth checking into though to give you peace of mind if nothing else.. if cutting back on the fatty food helps then it is possible that it is the gb but then again that would help other things too...

Do you have nausea with that pain or no? or excuse me please but  :-[  diarreah? thats another clue that it might be gb.. or irritable bowel...

as for the bloating .. well I had that benzo belly thingy going on for some time .. it seems the b-vits and being off the benzos is helping with all that .. or at least it is way better than it was ..

I still have pain in my right side and have throughout my taper sometimes severe .. and even now that I am 7weeks off I still have episodes.. it is all muscular though.. these benzos and wd can cause any given muscle in your body to tense up including the stomach/esophagus area. I have experienced severe upper back pain that it has bout doubled me over at times but it only lasted a while.. my chest was so tight all the way up to my throat that I could hardley eat esp when I cut out the nexium.. I was on nexium 40mg and zantac 300mg a daily and they made a bad situation worse .. it got to where I couldn't take an antacid without having a panic attack so bad I thought I was gonna die... ugh..  I am off of everything now ... I only take my b-stress vitamins and vit d and sometimes a cal/mag ... I am so much better now being off everything.. I am free now ...

take care Stevie    WS

Hey Stevie

just to let you know ..I had my gallbladder out a I think in August of 08 and had suffered for about 4 years with pain that came and went ..all my gb testing came out negative and liver was fine.. anyways to make a long story short ..I had to have it out and it tested positive for cholestitis or inflammation.. funny how I started having the pain soon after starting the xanax..  :tickedoff:

sounds like it is definately worth checking into though to give you peace of mind if nothing else.. if cutting back on the fatty food helps then it is possible that it is the gb but then again that would help other things too...

Do you have nausea with that pain or no? or excuse me please but  :-[  diarreah? thats another clue that it might be gb.. or irritable bowel...

as for the bloating .. well I had that benzo belly thingy going on for some time .. it seems the b-vits and being off the benzos is helping with all that .. or at least it is way better than it was ..

I still have pain in my right side and have throughout my taper sometimes severe .. and even now that I am 7weeks off I still have episodes.. it is all muscular though.. these benzos and wd can cause any given muscle in your body to tense up including the stomach/esophagus area. I have experienced severe upper back pain that it has bout doubled me over at times but it only lasted a while.. my chest was so tight all the way up to my throat that I could hardley eat esp when I cut out the nexium.. I was on nexium 40mg and zantac 300mg a daily and they made a bad situation worse .. it got to where I couldn't take an antacid without having a panic attack so bad I thought I was gonna die... ugh..  I am off of everything now ... I only take my b-stress vitamins and vit d and sometimes a cal/mag ... I am so much better now being off everything.. I am free now ...

take care Stevie     WS

Thanks WS.......Fortunately the symptoms are going away since I changed diet and take thistle milk daily, I'm hoping that what I experienced was just a w/s.....In answer to your question, no nausea or other stomach problems thank god, but I'm due to have a scan anyway.

You take care to WS, and have a great weekend. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stevie- I have been on omeprazole in one form or another (prevacid or nexium) for 5-6 years for GERD while taking xanax at the same time. As for me I never experienced any negative interactions between the two as you describe. I am off the benzo now, but still take nexium, 40mg/day. I am a former nuclear medicine technologist and use to do alot of gallbladder scans on people with symptoms similar to yours. Getting your GB checked out might still be a good idea. GB symptoms can come and go.

Pokey

Hi Stevie- I have been on omeprazole in one form or another (prevacid or nexium) for 5-6 years for GERD while taking xanax at the same time. As for me I never experienced any negative interactions between the two as you describe. I am off the benzo now, but still take nexium, 40mg/day. I am a former nuclear medicine technologist and use to do alot of gallbladder scans on people with symptoms similar to yours. Getting your GB checked out might still be a good idea. GB symptoms can come and go.

Pokey

Thanks Pokey, I'm due for a scan soon, I'm not if that is how you get your GB checked out?......or is there a blood test?

At the moment the symptoms I described have receded, I hope they were just w/s

Pokey

Thanks Pokey, I'm due for a scan soon, I'm not if that is how you get your GB checked out?......or is there a blood test?

At the moment the symptoms I described have receded, I hope they were just w/s

They checked my GB by using a sonogram.

Stevie- as for checking your GB it depends on what they think they are looking for. If they are looking for stones, an ultrasound as T2 refers to usually suffices. If they think your gall bladder is emptying improperly or if they think you might have an obstruction (such as a stone) in the ducts that come from the GB to where it empties into the lower end of your stomach then they do a nuclear medicine scan, usually whats called a HIDA scan. Its simple, easy and will not make you sick or give you any side effects. A HIDA (acronym for long chemical name) scan consists of the pharmaceutical HIDA being tagged to a very low dose radiotracer. They inject it into your blood stream, the primary liver cells, called hepatocytes pulls it out of the circulation and it is then secreted into the bile system(your liver secretes bile), then they watch it (with a large detector called a gamma camera) course through your bile ducts and gallbladder to see if there is a problem with your gallbladder or the associated ducts. Takes about 30 minutes. There is one caveat, if they think the gall bladder is not emptying properly they may give you something to stimulate the gallbladder to contract which can sometimes cause nausea, but it usually passes quickly. Other than that it is a pretty simple procedure.

Hope that helps relieve any worry.

Pokey