Personalized medicine/Pharmacogenetic testing for mental health patients

[La...]

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH), in partnership with an American company called Assurex, is doing a long-term on study on pharmacogenetic testing for mental health patients. The goal is to aid doctors in deciding which medications would best suit a particular person, with the hope that side effects and "trial-and-error" are minimized. I believe the current focus is on anti-depressants and anti-psychotics.

Here are two videos -- one from CAMH and one from Global TV:

http://globalnews.ca/video/977869/personalized-medical-care-for-mental-health-patients

And here's the media release from CAMH:

http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/about_camh/newsroom/news_releases_media_advisories_and_backgrounders/current_year/Pages/camh-assurex.aspx

Here's the participant information form:

http://impact.camhx.ca/en/docs/IMPACT-Info-Participant.pdf

The thing that scares me about this approach, is that they still think that crossing the blood-brain barrier and tinkering with our brain chemistry is a good idea.

The reality is that these medications are still going to be prescribed. If this can prevent patients experiencing some of the worst side effects that is all to the good. More fundamental changes in psychiayry will take a very long time.

Thanks again, Lapis for the info.

The thing that scares me about this approach, is that they still think that crossing the blood-brain barrier and tinkering with our brain chemistry is a good idea.

:thumbsup:

I was really pleased to see this study. If one chooses to take psychiatric medication (which is entirely up to each person), and if this genetic testing can minimize bad side effects, then it's a very positive step. I'd like to see it expand to other medications, if it's possible, since so many people have been harmed by them.

Of course our genetic makeup affects our reactions to medications! How could it not?

My ex husband has put on a lot of weight and has symptoms of Parkinson's disease due to anti psychotic drugs. His memory and concentration are very poor, much worse than mine and my cog fog is quite bad. I am pleased to see this too. He can't live with his symptoms so is willing to take drugs. It is so very sad.

I'm not sure whether this testing is taking place in Scotland, but perhaps it's worthwhile to find out. I believe the study here in Canada will go on for some time before final results are available, but the people who participate in the study can get their individual test results quickly and use them right away.

Hi!

This testing must be available in the US since the company that's partnering with CAMH is American!

And bear in mind, it isn't looking at benzodiazepines at this point. It's for anti-depressants and anti-psychotics so it couldn't have helped those of us affected by benzos. But it IS a step in the right direction for those who need or want to take ADs or anti-psychotics, and let's hope it yields good results for them.

Hi Lapis,

I has saliva testing done by a company in Seattle named Genelex Corporation. They tested Cytochrome P450 enzyme function for many medications including  antidepressants, benzodiazepines, opioids, antifungals, antihistamines etc. This, in theory, helps the doctor prescribe medications which will cause the least amount of side effects and prescribe the right dosage given an individual's ability to metabolize a particular medication.  Here is a web site link. If you go to the web site and click on  Drug Metabolism Tables and then on Cytochrome (CYP) P450 Table, you can get an idea of which drugs they test. It depends on which panel/panels the doctor orders. My medical insurance actually paid for this testing.  www.YouScript.com

It's certainly a move in the right direction. I was previously unaware that drugs in the same class such as SSRIs and benzodiazepines were metabolized by different enzymes.

I hope this gives you some additional information about genetic testing already available here in the U.S. Be Well.

WW

WW, thanks for the info!

Years ago, I heard about a comprehensive test like the one you've mentioned, but when I asked my American friends about it, no one had heard about it. I didn't look into it too much further at the time. But recently, I looked up Cytochrome P450 info in order to understand the interaction between diazepam (Valium) and the antidepressant I was on, and that was a real eye opener! I learned that they were both metabolized by the same liver enzyme, and that could cause the diazepam to stay in my body longer. I only learned it AFTER I'd gone off both. But it did clarify why I had such a horrible ride. To this day, I just feel regret that I didn't look into it earlier and ask more questions. Big mistake. Like you, I also didn't know how differently drugs in the same class could be metabolized.

WW, if you've had personal experience with the testing, and you found it was helpful, then I'm really pleased to hear it. When I put this info up here, I figured that the American readers would all know about such things already. The fact that this study is seven years in length leads me to believe that there's still much to learn on the subject.

WW, thanks for the info!

Years ago, I heard about a comprehensive test like the one you've mentioned, but when I asked my American friends about it, no one had heard about it. I didn't look into it too much further at the time. But recently, I looked up Cytochrome P450 info in order to understand the interaction between diazepam (Valium) and the antidepressant I was on, and that was a real eye opener! I learned that they were both metabolized by the same liver enzyme, and that could cause the diazepam to stay in my body longer. I only learned it AFTER I'd gone off both. But it did clarify why I had such a horrible ride. To this day, I just feel regret that I didn't look into it earlier and ask more questions. Big mistake. Like you, I also didn't know how differently drugs in the same class could be metabolized.

WW, if you've had personal experience with the testing, and you found it was helpful, then I'm really pleased to hear it. When I put this info up here, I figured that the American readers would all know about such things already. The fact that this study is seven years in length leads me to believe that there's still much to learn on the subject.

Lapis2,

Unfortunately, I had the testing while I was in acute withdrawal as a part of one of my psychiatrist's attempt to determine why I was having such a difficult time with withdrawal 3 months after discontinuing the medication and which, if any, adjunctive medications would be appropriate to take.  At that time, I was too fearful to take any additional medications and was wary of any diagnosis made (i.e. pre-existing anxiety disorder). At almost 15 months off benzos, I am considering taking something for the ongoing physical anxiety/nervousness, depression (which I believe is pre-existing) and insomnia. I hope having this testing will give me and my doctors an idea of which medications may cause the fewest side effects and what dose might be best. It turns out that I am an intermediate or rapid metabolizer of some medications and a normal metabolizer of some. Really interesting stuff- I'll let you know if it actually helps me make better decisions about medications. I am still trying to cope without medications, but getting very tired of the drill. It seems like no matter how much I meditate, practice deep breathing, use cognitive/behavioral strategies, I still have much more nervousness and physical symptoms of anxiety than I can deal with day in and day out. My sleep is still poor and inconsistent. Otherwise, I am managing and staying fairly functional.  I hope you are feeling well and continuing to improve.

Take good care,

WW