2013: "The Role of Benzodiazepines in the Treatment of PTSD"

[La...]

From the National Center for PTSD, Department of Veterans Affairs (US), this 2013 article stands definitively against the use of benzodiazepines for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), citing withdrawal symtoms, tolerance and dependence among the reasons. It states that, "the long-term harms

imposed by benzodiazepine use outweigh any short-term symptomatic benefits in patients with PTSD."

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/newsletters/research-quarterly/v23n4.pdf

Good one Lapis - one sentence really stuck out to me.

"Soon after the development of benzodiazepines, however,

reports began to appear about potential withdrawal

symptoms and risks of tolerance and dependence,

which contributed to the continued controversy

surrounding their use (for a historical review,

see Lader, 2011). "

When was soon? The 60s or the 70s ?

Another one .....

" lack of efficacy data and

growing evidence for the potential risk of harm"

So .... they don't work, and they cause harm ? Really ?

"Practical problems have existed with the use of benzodiazepines for

over 50 years now but they continue to be widely prescribed .... "

Mouth hanging open !

Yes, Qui. The article references Dr. Malcolm Lader quite a bit. I've posted a few articles by him, including one called "Benzodiazepines Revisited -- Will We Ever Learn?" It's well-researched and really interesting. In terms of how far back the research refers to withdrawal effects...yes, VERY early on. Seventies, for sure. But they were blaming patients and saying they needed to stay on the drug because they were "nervous" or some other description. That is, the research described exactly the symptoms you and I have experienced but named them something else. I believe it wasn't until later on that there was a recognition of a "withdrawal syndrome". So, bodies haven't changed, but the names for what people are experiencing have changed.

The drugs are still prescribed in such large numbers for lots of reasons, but I think the bottom line is that there aren't a lot of pharmaceutical alternatives at this point. Personally, I'd like to see doctors prescribe non-pharmaceutical alternatives! A few come to mind....CBT, exercise, meditation, deep breathing, other counseling, social support, healthy eating, good sleep habits, music, nature, etc.