MTHFR gene mutation making W/D process worse?

[Be...]

I'm sure a lot of you just read that subject line like what in the hell is a MTHFR gene mutation, that's what I would have said too before I was tested for it two years ago. That's to be expected.

What it is; MTHFR gene mutation is where you received one mutated gene from father or mother. Or perhaps like me, you received one from both mother and father.

One mutation = 50% have this. Your neurotransmitters only work at 65% (dopamine, serotonin, gaba etc)

Double mutation = only 7% have this including me. Your nuerotransmitters only work at 10% (just to keep methylation AKA nuerotransmitters working, B12 shots are needed weekly sometimes daily of a certain kind of B12 called methylcobalamin)

I've come to realize that this is a big part of why I'm struggling so bad. My body's ability to make its own Gaba is only at 10%. I really think that's why I have never healed in any of this tapering process whatsoever. No Windows, no better moments. It's just all the same.

I bring all this up cause I was wondering if anyone else out here on BB's has the MTHFR gene mutation, single or double. If so how has your taper gone, do you do B12 shots?

If anyone else has any questions about it, like how to get tested or just curious about it. All questions are welcome. I'll answer them all. I sure had so many questions when I was first told the rough news.

Thanks to all of you for taking time to read this. May your healing come sooner than later.  :thumbsup:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Sm...]

• [fi...]

• [Ma...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a single allele MTHFR C677T mutation. I have also had constant wd sx the whole taper, however i also have had many windows. I take about 1200mcg methyl B12 and 1mg methylfolate per day. I have no idea if this mutation makes wd worse. I don't understand how it reduces gaba production as I thought that was mostly dependent on GAD (glutamic acid decarboxylate) enzyme that converts glutamate to GABA.

I am very interested how it reduces neurotransmitters, I was only told that it reduces the ablity of the methyelation cycle and impedes detoxification, and causes the build up of homocystine among other dangerous substances.

Please share any info. Thanks

Methylation is how ALL neurotransmitters function. So if the methylation process is only working at 7% then that means the nuerotransmitters are only working at 7%. I.E. 7% of gaba etc.

When you take your methylcobalamin b12 does it rev your symptoms?

I started a thread in this in chewing the fat

Something like

'Methylation part of withdrawal'

I have a strong suspicious mthfr gene does have a role to play in hey some are hot harder than others

Come see the thread on methylation

Everyone there who has been tested so have mthfr

❤️

How does one get tested for this?

Ask your doctors office if they have the "MTHFR blood test" if they don't someone does, call other dr offices. It's a newer test since I believe 2012.

Peace 2

If you have suffered with anxiety/depression pretty much your whole life but has got even worse into adulthood. You're a solid candidate.

What about the 23andme route?

I'm not sure my doctor would be willing to order another test...

Sorry either my cog fog is just bad or I'm just not familiar with that.

Peace 2

If you have suffered with anxiety/depression pretty much your whole life but has got even worse into adulthood. You're a solid candidate.

Not really had anxiety and depression my whole life. And it's gotten better with age ... Until I took a bad migraine med that messed up my neurotransmitters and led me to benzo hell. I certainly have bad reactions to medications. Is that a symptom?

I guess those who have very bad s/x's, have two gene mutations?  My father had anxiety and my mother didn't at all.  Can you tell from their personalities and if they have s/x's what your gene profile might be without taking the tests? 

I tested positive for both MTHRF genes mutations. My LLMD has me on Methyl Protect by Xygomen and TMG (Anhydrous Betaine) which is necessary for supporting healthy Homocysteine levels.  I don't think 23andme is testing for this any longer. Some recent FDA issues?

I guess those who have very bad s/x's, have two gene mutations?  My father had anxiety and my mother didn't at all.  Can you tell from their personalities and if they have s/x's what your gene profile might be without taking the tests?

Yes and no. Taking the test is what you need to do if you're concerned. This isn't something you want to guess about.

So you have a DOUBLE mutation like me? Did you do "Protect" through out your taper? Did it rev up your symptoms?

Yes I have both. During my lyme treatment I kept getting sicker and sicker. Turns out I tested for this gene and have both mutations :o :o.

So yes, I stayed on those two supplements during my w/d but did reduce my dose of Methyl Protect during the first few months due to the high level of B vitamin. I do not think the TMG or Methyl Protect reeved up my w/d symptoms.  As a matter of fact when I ran out temporarily I think my w/d got worse..i never really made that connection till now. Helping to keep my Homocysteine levels at a normal level helps a lot with my MCS as well which always gets worse during w/d.

I tested positive for both MTHRF genes mutations. My LLMD has me on Methyl Protect by Xygomen and TMG (Anhydrous Betaine) which is necessary for supporting healthy Homocysteine levels.  I don't think 23andme is testing for this any longer. Some recent FDA issues?

23andme do the testing still but whilst FDA are ruling on the situation they won't give you health info associated with it. It is just the data

You take the 23andme info and you put it through another website that gives you health info

My results will be back in a couple of weeks

I'm intrigued! I'm guessing mthfr and possibly GAD and COMT polymorphisms too

I'm curious too how you handled those supps