syringes

[Lu...]

sorry if this sounds like a dumb question…if using a syringe for measuring liquids (whether to reduce or take) can you reuse the syringe or do you throw it out.

As bads said, you can reuse them. Just rinse well and leave to air dry.

To make them last longer, stick a piece of clear tape over the numbers and that will stop them from rubbing off. You will eventually find that the rubber on the plunger starts to wear out and that's when you need to toss it because it will start to get hard to pull on the plunger. I think mine usually lasted about a month or two, with daily use.

Wow, how did you manage to make them last that long. My plunger would always end up getting hard to pull on and I wasn't getting accurate measurements.

Wow, how did you manage to make them last that long. My plunger would always end up getting hard to pull on and I wasn't getting accurate measurements.

I honestly think the key is never disassemble the syringe.  If you take the plunger out of the body and wash it, it seems to m driese it will initially swell, then shrink and harden as it dries. 

As long as the seal is good between the plunger and the body, no liquid goes beyond the bottom of the plunger, so their really is no need to clean any area other than the face of the plunger and the inside of the tube.

After each use, I filled the syringe with clean water and fully discharged it.  I did this cycle several times after each use. 

I, of course, was using Rx grade liquid V, so there was really no threat of contamination or bacterial growth.  If anyone was using milk, however, a more rigorous cleaning/sanitation routine might be needed.

And the printed scale on the outside of the syringe needs to be covered with clear cellophane tape, as the printing is easily abraded off.

Interesting. I always used to pull mine apart to dry, so maybe that's where I was going wrong. Oh well - too late now. I'll keep it in mind for my next benzo taper - god forbid  :o

Yes the small bit that's left in the tip would be taken into account with the way the syringe is calibrated.

I was always able to get my syringes from my local pharmacist. The 10mls were never a problem, but for some reason I started having trouble getting the 1mls. However, they had 3ml syringes so I just used them instead. Depending on the type of liquid taper you are doing, and the amount of liquid you are using, you may not need both 1mls and 10mls. You might be able to get away with using one or the other.

If you have trouble getting the syringes locally, a lot of people get theirs on ebay/amazon.

where did you get your syringes, particularly the 1 and 10 ML's?

I got all my syringes from Amazon.  But most pharmacies will give you 1ml and 10 ml syringes for free.