How much weight have people lost?

[Ne...]

Is the weight loss due to loss of appetite from nervous stomach when tapering? My biggest fear is weight loss if I taper, but I know I can maintain with high calorie weight gainer shakes until I fix my anxiety without xanax.

But if the weight loss continue even with regular normal diet than that would really concern me, especially if I'm losing 10% of body weight.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Si...]

• [ca...]

• [he...]

Slippin-It's commonly due to loss of appetite from anxiety. If you are wanting to come off your benzo I would not let anticipation of symptoms stop you. Not everyone has a hard time. Any weight you lose you will get back when you return to your normal eating habits.

I lost 65 pounds in the 4 months it took them to figure out it was the benzos and  get tapered off.

have managed to regain 20 pounds in the last eight and a half months

[2c...]
40lbs the first two months on Klonopin. My weight has gone below 100lbs before though. I used to weigh 140 and I am 5'3"

I'm down to around 165-170 (seems to fluctuate somewhat) from 185-190. It's been 4 months since c/t. Want to know if anyone knows WHY weight loss would be so persistent and if anyone has had this experience of weight staying off. I don't think I'm actively losing weight anymore. I don't eat quite the same as I used to because my stomach has been so sensitive in w/d the last few months but I'm getting scared that there's an underlying reason why weight is staying off. It's one more thing to set off the anxiety...

It's probably poor appetite from anxiety caused by WD. Believe it or not, you're still in the early stages and your eating habits should return to normal as time goes on. Always a good idea to get checked by the doc to make sure there's no other cause though. Then you know it's "normal" weight loss from WD and you don't have to worry. That in itself should help some.  :)

I would make a protein shake with milk everyday (same powder most body builders use). I'd add fruit and sometimes peanut butter. Not bad tasting either. Those can help keep your calories up enough to not loose too much weight. I got the kind with Stevia sweetener in it instead of real suger. Normally I avoid sweeteners like that, but it didn't cause any problems for me. If they made an unsweetened kind I would use that and add a little honey instead.

I lost 100 lbs since this began in spring of 2012. Went from 250 down to 150, but now back up to 160 again. No worries though, I was a bit of a fatass when this started.

Siggy great call on the shake. Great way to get a nutrient dense meal when your appetite is non-existent. Those kept me alive during the acute stage. I do a mix of banana and blueberries, strawberries, dark cherries, and black berries. I mix that with walnuts and kefir milk, but it would work with all the stuff you mentioned.

Siggy great call on the shake. Great way to get a nutrient dense meal when your appetite is non-existent. Those kept me alive during the acute stage. I do a mix of banana and blueberries, strawberries, dark cherries, and black berries. I mix that with walnuts and kefir milk, but it would work with all the stuff you mentioned.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wish I could take full credit for that one, but the idea was my wife's! They do taste good IMO and will definitely help with extra calories we need in recovery.

• 3 weeks later...
Same here Kiddo 1977, I lost 72lbs. was over weight also, gained about 10 lbs, in the last year, had stablized, just recently lost another 8 lbs, when started HRT, , still have not gained muscle, or fat yet, I know it's the low GABA, GABA has to do with muscle tone, also had my hormone levels checked, and everything was depleted or very low, including testosterone which helps to build muscle also.  I guess everything takes time.

I lost about 35 lbs super fast the first time I rapidly tapered. I didn't have an appetite for 23 months. It came back about 3 months after I was off benzos for good. 20 of those lbs. were good to lose but looked awful coming off so fast. I've put back on about 10 lbs and now deal with cravings.

Like many of you green protein smoothies were lifesavers. I still drink them on upset tummy days.

I'm not losing weight during my taper, I think I'm gaining weight. WTF?  I am wondering if the taper is messing up my thyroid condition for which I take medicine. I'm going to go do my labs. If there normal, I wonder why I'm gaining weight when everyone else is losing it?

Sunday, not everyone loses. There are plenty of BB who've gained too. Some of that I think is the cravings many of us experience and the inactivity. Now that I'm not nauseated and I have wicked cravings, I'm having to fight to keep the weight off and I've put back on about 5 lbs. It's still in my healthy range but I want it to stop. Most of us aren't able to be as active in wd as before/when this is over. So this just works different ways for different people. Hang in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jacob31

I too am eating like a pig, eating almost double others eat at the table and no matter what seem to be unable to put on any weight. The scale has become the object of my nightmares and also the way i look and comments by people who see me.  I have lost 20 pounds and weigh 97 now.  I wonder why this is so. 

• 2 weeks later...
[2c...]
I lost 40lbs the first two months on Klonopin due to severe tolerance/paradox. I've gained some of it back, in fact I've been gaining a lot lately even though I barely eat, I'll probably lose it here soon since I'm pretty much CTing

• 2 months later...

I probably lost about 10-15 lbs during tolerance withdrawal. I'm 5'6 and at my lowest I was about 105lbs, which is obviously super underweight. I'm now at about 112-113 and I'm a year out next month, so it took time. I'm still working on that part. I think the main important thing is making sure that you get plenty of food during every meal and throughout the day. I've been eating spoonfuls of peanut butter between meals to get all of my calories in and before that I was doing tons of protein bars per day. Have heard it's better to get your protein in from the foods themselves instead but I just don't have the time to eat that much food at my job... am starting back on protein shakes throughout the day to get the calories in that way. :)

That was a rough one on me because I hated how I looked so skinny and hated that everyone commented that I need to eat more like I chose to be that thin. I was eating a ton but just wasn't putting on weight because I was constantly experiencing anxiety and stomach distress. Your body is a mess right now but it will heal. In the mean time, continue doing what you can as far as getting all of the food/nutrients you need. I don't think it would hurt much to add in some protein shakes/bars/etc. if you need to.

Only a 2-3 months ago i was sooo worried about the weight and more so the muscle loss and remember asking one member here who had also experienced weight loss how long it takes.  She said it was in month 7 when the weight started back on gradually.

That is exactly what happend. Sure enough it was month seven it started climbing

So now i have come up from 96-104

Hang in there

Keep eating, though it may not make a difference but at least you won't loose as much til your body can heal and absorb the food you eat once again

• 1 month later...
I'm still in my first couple of weeks,  I'm afraid to check but I can tell I've lost weight.  The last few months I've gone from a healthy,  athletic body to a gangly,  doughy shell of myself. I lost all muscle and my face looks weird.  My eyes look huge and I look strung out from changes,  insomnia, and anxiety.  I fell like I look like I'm on drugs now more than ever. Looking forward to being able to consistently work out again so I look myself.

I have lost 14 pounds since taper. I didn't have any weight to lose. Combination of things with gallbladder surgery in Feb. About two months after that, I continued to have attacks but worse than the one that put me in hospital. So sick from pain (level 9-10) and so nauseated that I was cold sweat and fainting. I couldn't eat. I continue to have these attacks and with them continue to lose weight. I stopped the attacks after researching possible cause. I cut out the fats and sugars in my diet. Now down to 106 lbs and holding at 5'7' (62yr) but least pain free. Hoping in a when I jump that something happens but don't think it's taper. Hard to gain weight with little fats or sugars as they trigger the attacks. 15 days to jump.

I can't blame it all on benzos, as proton pump inhibitors did a number on me. Minus 25 pounds. I'm 113 now and damned if I can gain any weight!

Yep droped  15 lbs here also but mostly due to a bad GI problems  6 ft holding at 155 High School wieght so yes i would say normal just eat good nutitious foods and stay away from the scale it will just cause more anxiety !

Same as barklesswagmore  6'2 195 before now 173 feel like I am cracked out. Part of it was from my surgery though not being able to work out. I am now just being able to do light weights. I cannot remember being this light.

was a size 36 waste now wearing size 34 that hang off abit.... i didnt eat properly for afew months.... now im down to 4mg diazepam i cant stop eating

Gained 80 pounds while on benzos and SSRIs. Was up to a 44 inch waistline. Normally a 34. Was walking 8 miles a day and still gaining weight. Couldn't stop eating. Always hungry. Have lost 67 pounds since jumping in April.

Benzos and SSRIs are fat soluble compounds and are stored in fat cells. The weight loss (fat cells ) is a way by which body can detoxifying itself of this poison. The liver converts fat soluble compounds like benzos into water soluble metabolites that the kidneys can then excrete from the body.

Even though I needed to and could afford to lose weight, it's still alarming when you loose so much quickly and the corresponding loss of muscle mass and tone. My appetite was nil for the first 1-1/2 months and a fraction of what it was prior to jumping.

The weight loss has happened in all of my jumps and then again the subsequent weight gain after reinstating. Didn't start to loose weight until I was off all of the benzos and SSRIs. Had no weight loss during taper. Doctor said risperidone was responsible for the weight gain, however, substituting Saphris for the risperidone made no difference. Doctors don't have a clue or care when it comes to w/d from benzos and SSRIs.