Author Topic: Withdrawal from Lorazepam  (Read 1659 times)

[Buddie]

Withdrawal from Lorazepam
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:24:00 pm »

Hi everyone,

I have been on Lorazpam 1mg which was prescribed to me 'as needed' a little over a year ago. Last pill was taken 24 days ago. I have been having horrible obsessive thoughts (scary ones), no appetite, feeling like I lost myself, but than I am able to function (pretent to, anyway). I miss my old self before the Lorazepam where I had ups and downs like any other person but was HAPPY. I need support, when will this nightmare go away?  thanks to all of you. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Withdrawal from Lorazepam
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 10:02:58 pm »

Hi everyone,

I have been on Lorazpam 1mg which was prescribed to me 'as needed' a little over a year ago. Last pill was taken 24 days ago. I have been having horrible obsessive thoughts (scary ones), no appetite, feeling like I lost myself, but than I am able to function (pretent to, anyway). I miss my old self before the Lorazepam where I had ups and downs like any other person but was HAPPY. I need support, when will this nightmare go away?  thanks to all of you. 

Hey [...],
Welcome to BenzoBuddies. You've come to a great place to find support for tapering off of and recovering from benzos. I was wondering how long you spent tapering off the Lorazepam? Cold turkeys or tapering too rapidly can cause some intolerable withdrawal symptoms. From the symptoms you described, I can tell you they are very typical of benzo withdrawals. The Ashton Manual has great information on what benzos do to the body/mind, withdrawal symptoms that one might get, and tapering schedules. Here is the link for it:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

I know what you mean about missing your old self. You can be your old self again. It just takes time. There is no magic pill to make all the withdrawal symptoms go away, but keeping in mind that withdrawals are actually signals that our bodies are healing from the effects of the benzos, can really help. Staying positive, hopeful, and taking things as they come, goes a long way in this journey. If you have any questions or just want to vent, we are here for you.

Lori :smitten:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:35:03 pm »

Hi everyone,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, [...], and congratulations on being benzo-free.  ;D

I was on lorazepam for many years as you can see in my signature block below.  I believe I started seeing a real lessening of symptoms about 3-4 weeks after I took my last scrap of pill but, as I'm sure you've read, we're all different.  I still had and have little waves of symptoms from time to time but since I know what they are, I try not to fret about them.  I figure it takes as long as it takes and there's little of the process I can control other than how I choose to think about it.  Oh, and I have increased my (very mild) exercise and cut out all caffeine except for an occasional cup of tea which I believe have helped, along with continuing controlled breathing to alleviate anxiety.  I know I had to take baby steps back into my life for quite a while and pretend my way to periods of happiness ("fake it till you make it").  Can  you think of anything that might bring a little happiness into your life that you could plan to do this week?

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:13:44 am »
Hi [...],

welcome to benzouddies, if you seek support then you came to the right place. This forum has lots of supportive members that want to help each other out, more support is coming your way, take care.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 03:05:16 am »
Just wanted to add my name to your list of supporters!  Everyone here is so nice and helpful.  I hope you find what you need here.  The 'chat' feature is a good way to feel as though you belong, so welcome!

[Buddie]

Withdrawal from Lorazepam
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 03:26:45 pm »
A thank you note to all,

Feeling so blessed to find this site. Yesterday, while feeling horrible, I entered the chat room. Had racing/obsessive/scary thoughts; my body was weak I was so scared. I was in the chat room for a while, and received so much help, support and understanding, and  it actually eased my symptoms. I can see the light. For the first time in three weeks I felt HOPE.  Thank you 'recover'.  You are the best, and thank you 'Chris'  for your kind words.
Shelly.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 03:54:49 pm »
Hey [...],
So glad to hear that you are getting the support you need in this process of recovery from benzos. And feeling HOPE again is wonderful!! Just keep believing that you will fully heal from the lorazepam. It takes time, but while you are waiting it out, atleast you know you have a support system here, with others who can understand what you are going thru.

Lori :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:13:06 pm »
Hey Shelly,

I'm so sorry I didn't make it to welcome you sooner!   By now I'm sure you realize you are among new buddies!   :)

Keep the Ashton manual around for awhile.  It will definitely make you feel alot more sane!    :hug:

:2funny:   Keep hanging out with us and you WILL feel sane! 

I do hope you're feeling better.  Glad you came to chat!   :)

Phyllis    :smitten:

[Buddie]

To Lady- Withdrawal from Lorazepam
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 12:52:15 am »
Dear Lady,

In the past I came across the Ashton Manual, but never read it thoroughly. I read it now, it is like she is describing most of my symptoms, about the paranoia/obsessive thoughts. the niddle/itchy pain in my body etc. I feel much better. You are all soooooo wonderful.  I think the worst symptoms are the mental ones. I was always a thinker, but never, in my wildest dreams would ever see myself being scared from a person in the street, for no justified reason, and than blow it out of propotion with my mind. After reading the manual everything started to make more sense to me. But the only problem is that somebody has to regulate these medications. I was never told by my PCP that it is addictive or that it directly effects the chemistry in the brain. How dare they!!!!! It is a scandal.
They give us medication that alter the brain chemistry and fail to let us know in advance?? what a shame!!!!!!!!!   
 I know everything happens in life for a reason. I know that this process is changing me a lot. Only those who are going through what we are going will ever understand. So maybe at the end WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES, to go through the journey of hell and come back complete and less fearful.
Lady thank you for being there for me I feel much better. I am working on a new obsessive thought that might be more pleasant.....lol   

Your Friend
  Shelly :yippee:

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 02:04:17 am »
Hi [...] -

Another welcome from a fellow Lorazepam person.  Soooo many ups and downs, and such a shock.  I was only "on" it for 2 months, have been "going off" it for 3 months. 

RE: the medical situation - a friend recently said there ought to be someone in the doctor's office, clinic, or whatever, an assistant, who, as a part of his/her job, whose job it is to help you when it's time to go off the medication. It would be such a simple thing to add, not very expensive, either - someone informed and experienced - like us.  My doctor just said "I hope the taper goes well for you, see you in three months."  I had no idea what it would be like.  And when I see him in another month, we're going to have a conversation I doubt he is expecting.

Stay with it, and stay with BB's - everyone here has been an enormous help to me.  No one else really gets it. 

[...]