"Prescribing Benzodiazepines in General Practice: A New View of an Old Problem"

[La...]

This 2007 article provides a fascinating interdisciplinary perspective on the issue of prescribing benzodiazepines in general practice. While it's long and detailed, it's a really rewarding read, and I'd be so interested to hear from anyone who takes the time to read it. It helped me understand the issues from a different perspective -- and that's pretty much always a good thing!

I'll attach the link here, and a box will appear on the screen, asking what you want to do. I just click "open with Adobe Reader" and it works for me. Hope it's the same for you!

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Fpublication%2F6463094_Prescribing_benzodiazepines_in_general_practice_a_new_view_of_an_old_problem%2Flinks%2F0fcfd508a33e5a04e5000000.pdf&ei=DU-wVMygKpOnyQSmlYHAAg&usg=AFQjCNEr8sbGPNIj4_tsfRDaKhkqU14zmQ

This article explains why no one is willing to help me with this. The docs that put me on them are no longer my doctors and the new doctors don't want to take the blame or help with a medication I should never have been rxd because im "undeserving". :(

I'm not sure how things work where you are, but isn't the bottom line that you now need medical help? The issue of "blame" makes the whole problem a lot more charged. I hope there are compassionate doctors who can understand what has happened and why, yet still provide good medical help as required.

I'm not sure how things work where you are, but isn't the bottom line that you now need medical help? The issue of "blame" makes the whole problem a lot more charged. I hope there are compassionate doctors who can understand what has happened and why, yet still provide good medical help as required.

Unfortunately in orange county california the doctors are more concerned about saving thier own asses than helping people. Kaiser in not cal got me in this mess then passed the buck up there 3 times. Kaiser down here wont touch my case and hoag won't either. I have a history of alcohol abuse in the past so tech I never should have been on these meds. Everyone has reffered me to the county where the county doc wants to taper me by 50% of 100 mgs ive been on since last year it's that or 7-10 day detox by the county if I get accepted it's outragous!!!

The US medical system is quite different than ours or the UK's, it seems. I'm not sure what to suggest, but perhaps other BBs (Americans) can weigh in. This article might not apply so well to all readers because it's based on what happened in the UK.

In any case, I wish you well and sincerely hope that you can get the help and support you need.

Hey Mommy - here's a link to some benzo-wise docs - some in California. If you can get to UCLA or a big teaching/research hospital you might have better luck. I found a good one at Vanderbilt, in Nashville, after a VERY long search. There are other list you can find, too. Good luck. (Watch out for the quacks!!)

http://benzodocs.com/

Hey Mommy - here's a link to some benzo-wise docs - some in California. If you can get to UCLA or a big teaching/research hospital you might have better luck. I found a good one at Vanderbilt, in Nashville, after a VERY long search. There are other list you can find, too. Good luck. (Watch out for the quacks!!)

http://benzodocs.com/

The benzo docs o called on here wouldn't tAle me I called the one in Pasadena as well as the XXX one. I called XXX twice once when I first got down here and the. Again a few weeks ago. He said he couldn't help me that theres probably someone out there that can but he doesn't know who. :(. I made an appointment woth uci but it's not for a month. They arent considered tranquilizers down here they are considered narcotics, which is outragous but thats how they see it.  I have called every place I can think of but I'm starting to loose it. I really never felt this much cog fog and crying and dp/dr tinnitus Im still at 100 and hit tolerance much faster this time im afraid if i go to these hospitals they won't take me or they will take me give me a bunch of other meds and god knows what else. But I have two small girls who I can barely take care of cause i can barely take care of myself the nausia is brutal. But if I go to the hospital im afraid they will CT me. They don't have my records from kaiser up north or my med history ive bee. On every ssri imagined none of them worked I went into seosures from 12.5 mg of zoloft before! Ove also been Ct'd in the hospotal off alcohol at least 4 times in the past with benzos. So Im wondering if thats whats making this so hard but i can barely think straight have had no progress since coming to so cal just doors slammed in my face and feel like giving up. My husband was working from home but he wont be anymore and I can't taper without him here. When I tried tapering last april I was bedridden and had to hire caregivers to take care of my kids and I. This is almost a year later and since im in tolerance wd I can't even imagine going through that again. Im not sleeping as well waking up all the time but my anxiety and depression are through the roof!!! I don't want to be in a hospital and away from my family because I fear it's the last time O will ever see them. Im just so terrified.

Edit: Doctors's names removed

Hi Mommy,

It might be good to post this info on one of the threads elsewhere on BB where people may have other suggestions and support for you. I'm just not familiar with how things work in the US. If you're in the midst of a taper, then there's specific thread for that that could be quite helpful, plus some of the others. Check them out!

I really wish you well.

No problem at all! I just want to make sure that you get some support from people who are the same stage and/or in the same position. If you post here and don't get a response, then you might feel even more frustrated, and I don't want that to happen.  :)