Author Topic: ocd, depression, anxiety..debilitating  (Read 3781 times)

[Buddie]

Re: ocd, depression, anxiety..debilitating
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 01:32:20 pm »
Hi [...],
There is no questions that some of us have it much rougher than others.  And I personally do believe that underlying conditions, like OCD or PTSD, play a big factor.  I dealt with many of the same s/x you describe early on in the taper process (ironically at about the same dose you are currently on).  I still have constant intrusive thoughts.  There was a time when I thought I had to "take something" to address my condition.  But my experience with psych meds was a horror story and I found out I had to find another way to live with myself.  I think we have covered this before so I won't bore you.

Your statement:
..anyway..I may need benzos but am petrified to remain on them but also know this is more than withdrawal at this point and I need something to help...
underscores your frame of mind that is holding you back.  Get off the last little bit of your benzo and you will find that dealing with your GAD, PTSD. OCD ad infinitum is achievable.  This is how I did it.  Anything less and you are wasting your time and energy.  There is something amazing that happens when you start saying "I CAN!" instead of "I CAN'T" even if you don't believe it.

Thomas
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 04:32:29 pm »
I think you simply need to make a decision here. . .

You need to either get off the meds and try and find a way to handle all of your problems without the use of psychiatric drugs or you need to tlk to your doctor and find medication that you believe will work.

There is no middle ground and I swear that's what it sounds like you're looking for.

You've taken  long time to get off that last amount... longer than anyone should. I realize it's got your scared, but seriously... how much longer do you wish to suffer? Your mind and body aren't meant to take this kind of stress and yet you continue to drive it forward.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 04:37:18 pm »
I know it's not meant to take this kind of stress...I honestly don't kow what would work..i just don't want to have to take benzos...if this is more than benzos..there should be something to help with with the PTSD and anxiety, depression, etc..I don't know if other things work once the benzo is gone...it's very hard for me to believe this is the benzos when I was like this on 10 mg of valium too..thanks..I'm curious after reading your signature line..are you taking anything now?  Thanks

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 04:57:19 pm »
I know it's not meant to take this kind of stress...I honestly don't kow what would work..i just don't want to have to take benzos...if this is more than benzos..there should be something to help with with the PTSD and anxiety, depression, etc..I don't know if other things work once the benzo is gone...it's very hard for me to believe this is the benzos when I was like this on 10 mg of valium too..thanks..I'm curious after reading your signature line..are you taking anything now?  Thanks

Honestly [...], what is it you want?  Have you ever ask yourself that question?  Deep down what is it that you are searching for?  It's not the answer to the questions you are asking.....you've had the same answers to those questions over and over again for years.

You need to either get off the meds and try and find a way to handle all of your problems without the use of psychiatric drugs or you need to talk to your doctor and find medication that you believe will work.

Pete has some great advice here.  Either you decide or let your dr. decide but please don't solicit medical advice or suggestion from members.  It's not fair to them and it's not safe for you.

TS

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 05:18:09 pm »
I'm not on anything right now. As TS said, however, I am not out to provide you with med info... that is for you and your doc to decide, but you need to make a choice!

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 06:01:59 pm »
Thanks..I understand...

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 07:37:53 pm »
Thanks..I understand...

Just remember...

There is no right or wrong answer here. If you can get off the meds and ride out a year or two, that's great. You'll see how you feel and hopefully be able to cope without the need of meds. However, you might find that you do need something, in which case it's just time and medication. Some people have severe enough symptoms to warrant their use and that's a fact. Are you one of them? Only way to know is to be off for a while...

Being on meds isn't a terrible thing if you have to be. However, you won't know if this is possible until you finish this taper... :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 08:35:13 pm »
I know..I think my system is extremely sensitive from quinolones, surgeries and Barbituate use, the 4 different benzos, cold turkeys and I got real sick...it's very hard for your body to shake all the time inside and out for this long...feels like it went into shock from it all and to see it not improving with time is worrisome..appreciate your post..

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 09:58:09 pm »
[...],

My heart hurts for you!

Have you ever tried tai chi, or looked into it? It's "moving meditation."  It requires a lot of concentration.  Sometimes that has been the only time in the week that I could redirect my brain from this d*&% w/d.  If you can find a class nearby I highly recommend it. There are DVDs out there too. I suggest the Yang Style; it's the mellower one. There's also Chi Gong (Qi Quon, lots of names). There are also meditation classes available, relaxation CDs, etc.; I really believe all this stuff really works.

Also, can you find a therapist that specializes in Cognitive Behavior Therapy?  I think your doctor, being a typical doctor, is thinking that treatments can only be pharmaceutical. CBT trains you to retrain your brain.  I've only had 3 sessions and am already benefiting from it.

Hang in there... and take the jump!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 08:13:26 am »
Hi [...],

You are getting a lot of great advice here and sometimes I go back and reread the posts that others have written to me (benzo brain here) and it starts to sink in. I have been through c/t many times. And many different meds. But nothing as bad as these stinking benzos. Although when I did it with the antideressants, I probably would have said they were the worst. I think (and this is IMO) that coming off of any antipsychotic drug is hard. But nothing throws you into more turmoil than the benzos (am I repeating myself? sorry)

I have come off of so many meds in the last yr. It would make anyones head spin and I wonder why I have felt like I was going mad. Now that I'm almost done again, after reinstating from a 5 week c/t of K, I am getting a few windows when it comes to that fear. I never thought I would it was so intense. Since reinstating I've never felt the intense anxiety, NOR DEPRESSION SO bad as these last few weeks. But I felt I had no choice because I had every s/x in the book and then some which I could add. I hadn't felt the depression like that, which I had for 12 yrs. until I GOT MYSELF OFF OF the stupid antidepressants which took me 2 whole yrs. of hell also.

You continue to say that nobody is going through what you are with having to stay in the house all day. Be alone all the time. Not answering, or talking on the phone etc etc. Well I too haven't been out in ages. Except for a few times since reinstating. So don't think you are the only one going through all of those nasty symptoms which are all listed in the many places that have to do with withdrawal from  what I call the nasties now.

I do hope you can start doing some kind of meditation or like Ginger suggests Tai Chi, yoga, CBT or whatever you can find on a CD so you don't have to go out. The only thing I know how to do and have started to do again is meditate, which I also do to get to sleep. Which also hasn't been for very long. But I take whatever I can get. It's 2:30 am and I still haven't gone to bed yet.

I'm sorry for going on. Just wanted to let you know that all who post to you want to hear that drugs are not going to help you. Unless you are taking so many of them that you become a zombie. Ok I've probably said more than I should have as this is getting so long and again I'm sorry. I just trying to help and hope that you can somehow come to terms and start calming down soon which I'm sure you will once off the meds.