Important Survey - Please Participate ×

CFS/LYME and Benzos

[cl...]

Hello, I have been chronically ill for the past 10 years.  I crashed with a mysterious flu like illness at age 23 and never recovered.  Intially I found relief by taking my fathers Ativan which would stop the horrible anxiety, pain, and insomnia.  About two years into the illness, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue syndrome.  I was continued on Ativan and was introduced to narcotics like Vicodin and Fentanyl by the treating Rheumatologist.  After feeling frustrated at no progress and only masking symptoms I moved on to a Lyme diagnosis about a year later.  At this point I was switched to Klonopin.  To make a long story short I have taken long doses of antibiotic and it hasn't cleared much.  I feel I was made into an addict by these allopaths and traditional Western medicine no longer has anything to offer me.

This last year I went off high dose narcotics, high dose Adderall, Cymbalta, Abilify, and decided to drop Pharma entirely.  The last piece is Clonazepam.  I have been on this drug for 8 years and I didn't take it everyday.  I was prescribed 120 x 1mg a month and would typically take 2-3 pills every 2 days or so.  With the removal of the other medications and the stress of a cross country move with my family the frequency has increased to about 3mg a day.

I have not started a taper, but the time has come to get off this medicine and start to truly detox from all these medications I have taken for years.  Even if I feel bad, I want to get used to feeling my symptoms so I can properly address them.  I am hoping to get guidance and support for my detox and also help others with my experience when I am on the otherside of this nasty med.

Hello cly119.  Welcome to the forum, we're glad you found us!  Congratulations on deciding to get off klonopin.  We generally recommend a taper rate of about 5-10% every 10-14 days.  Some taper even slower than this, though individual rates vary.  Also, it's usually better to taper one medication at a time if possible.  Here are a few links you may find useful:

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support (during your taper).

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms, and there is also a section with withdrawal/taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

:smitten:

Thanks Megan :)  I have been off those other meds for many months now.  So it will only be the Klonopin I am targeting now.  I added the signature and I am grateful for the resources provided in the comment.  :thumbsup: