Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

So called a place that places you into detox centers/rehab

[Mo...]

Today my husband told me if I didn't stop crying and talking about benzos he is going to put me in a mental hospital. The county has offered me rapid wd by cutting out 25% which I cannot do due to the fact I was bedridden at 93 mgs. The county also offered me a detox at pamona recovery center but there are no Drs just nurses and can't take valium because of paradoxial effects and can't phenobarb cause I also take doxepin 35 mgs. The man spent 45 mins on the phone with me. I asked if they allow you to taper slowly. He said some people its 30 days sometimes more sometimes less. I gave him a lot of my background info and he said he would call me tomorrow to let me know what my options are and that he would try to keep me in CA. But basically I'm at the point where I have very few options and no one in OC seems to understand benzo wd. I even told my old np from when I was a kid that I was bedridden back in aug at 93 mgs and she said she wasn't buying it that I'm that med sensetive that she would call me next week with some refferals on the condition that I don't get to dictate my taper that whatever they say I should do I should do. This tells me not only does she not know much about benzos but that the people she might refer me to don't either. She was telling me even if I cant get out of bed to just suck it up and take my kids to the park. I can't even drive my anxiety is so bad. I took a shower yesterday to me that was a huge accomplishment! I'm looking for avenues out as Benzosrcruel said. What do you think guys? I have a liquid taper planned by someone on fb but can't get anyone to give me the scripts to do a really slow taper. They all just see me as a drug addict.

I don't have any answers. You are really in a very tough spot. I have been there, but was forced to stop cold in my tracks the moment I stepped through the detox centers door. But I knew that would happen. I was the one who put myself there after my doctor had me stop 8 mg of Ativan cold turkey. It is brutal, and I had done it before...thankfully never again. I would choose the route that gave me the most time., and right now that looks like maybe a30 day detox.

I don't have any answers. You are really in a very tough spot. I have been there, but was forced to stop cold in my tracks the moment I stepped through the detox centers door. But I knew that would happen. I was the one who put myself there after my doctor had me stop 8 mg of Ativan cold turkey. It is brutal, and I had done it before...thankfully never again. I would choose the route that gave me the most time., and right now that looks like maybe a30 day detox.

Was that your last CT?

Was that your last CT?

yes, it was my last and final cold turkey withdrawal. All three of time where done at the same detox center about 250 miles where I live. Each time I placed myself there. The first and third were the worst because I was on such high doses.  I was given phenobarbital while there, and then took it for 10 days after leaving. The last withdrawal was absolutely horrific. It was the most frightening thing I have ever been through, but at one year out I am healed.

Was that your last CT?

yes, it was my last and final cold turkey withdrawal. All three of time where done at the same detox center about 250 miles where I live. Each time I placed myself there. The first and third were the worst because I was on such high doses.  I was given phenobarbital while there, and then took it for 10 days after leaving. The last withdrawal was absolutely horrific. It was the most frightening thing I have ever been through, but at one year out I am healed.

See what im worried about is im on doxepin which you can't mix with pheno, my body won't tolerate valium and I'm on approx 40 mgs v right? Do they have you in an actual hospital? Hooked up to machines like with alcohol detox cause my biggest fear is seisures and being no where near a real hospital that and I know just based on how hard its been for me to make any decreases in the past, my old Dr. Up north seemed really omunious and concerned for me when I asked about dropping just that much he said be preoared to go to the closest ER. I'm feeling so anxious right now want to jump out of my skin!

Was that your last CT?

See what im worried about is im on doxepin which you can't mix with pheno, my body won't tolerate valium and I'm on approx 40 mgs v right? Do they have you in an actual hospital? Hooked up to machines like with alcohol detox cause my biggest fear is seisures and being no where near a real hospital that and I know just based on how hard its been for me to make any decreases in the past, my old Dr. Up north seemed really omunious and concerned for me when I asked about dropping just that much he said be preoared to go to the closest ER. I'm feeling so anxious right now want to jump out of my skin!

No, you are not hooked up to machines and facilities look nothing like a hospital, and for that matter it did not even look like a medical facility. Mine looked more like a cheap motel. I met with a dr in the morning for about 3 minutes and the rest of the day hung out in the TV room with the others. We were all in our street clothes.  I had my blood pressure taken all the time, usually in the TV room. Each time I was always the only one detoxing from benzodiazepines. The others were mainly opiates, and a few alcohol. The risk of seizure is very small, especially when there are preventative medicines that can be administered at the time of detoxing. The cost of each of my detoxes was about $10,000 each, so about 3,300 a day, which Medicaid and Medicare covered 100 percent each time. I had zero out of pocket expense.

Was that your last CT?

No, you are not hooked up to machines and facilities look nothing like a hospital, and for that matter it did not even look like a medical facility. Mine looked more like a cheap motel. I met with a dr in the morning for about 3 minutes and the rest of the day hung out in the TV room with the others. We were all in our street clothes.  I had my blood pressure taken all the time, usually in the TV room. Each time I was always the only one detoxing from benzodiazepines. The others were mainly opiates, and a few alcohol. The risk of seizure is very small, especially when there are preventative medicines that can be administered at the time of detoxing. The cost of each of my detoxes was about $10,000 each, so about 3,300 a day, which Medicaid and Medicare covered 100 percent each time. I had zero out of pocket expense.

Was is a county detox or a nice place? See I have a history of seizures and prolonged QT. Plus a mirroad of psych issues GAD, PTSD, MDD, and panic disorder plus Im on the doxepin and melatonin. Do you think Keagan majes a good point of going to UCLA?

Have no idea if the county it in has any connections to it. It is many counties away from where I live.

Where is your sucess story?