Alprazolam Tapering

[li...]

I'm not sure I'm in the right place to ask this question, I find this site VERY confusing and haven't figured it out much yet!  I am curious about something. I don't know if I can get suggestions regarding this but doesn't hurt to ask. I wish I could figure out a set time to take my meds.  Breaking them in half sometimes 1/2 is a little larger. Here is my question. I took 1/2 of my 0.5 mg alprazolam at 11 and then 2. I don't feel the need to take it again and I have been taking my next half at 5ish. I am trying to spread out 3 1/2 dosages daily, taking 1 whole in the morning, 1/2 pill at 11 and 2 and 5 and another whole at bedtime.  I don't really know what to do. Am I allowed to ask and can someone help me with this? Thanks so much!

I'm not sure I'm in the right place to ask this question, I find this site VERY confusing and haven't figured it out much yet!  I am curious about something. I don't know if I can get suggestions regarding this but doesn't hurt to ask. I wish I could figure out a set time to take my meds.  Breaking them in half sometimes 1/2 is a little larger. Here is my question. I took 1/2 of my 0.5 mg alprazolam at 11 and then 2. I don't feel the need to take it again and I have been taking my next half at 5ish. I am trying to spread out 3 1/2 dosages daily, taking 1 whole in the morning, 1/2 pill at 11 and 2 and 5 and another whole at bedtime.  I don't really know what to do. Am I allowed to ask and can someone help me with this? Thanks so much!

Hi littlebit,

This question probably belongs in the Planning Your Taper board. I will move it over there. I know it is hard to get around the forum at first, it takes us all a few days to figure things out.  :thumbsup:

Most people take Xanax about 3 to 4 times a day. So if you could space them out between every 8 hours or every 6 hours, that should help.

T2 :smitten:

Can you say exactly how much and how often you are taking these? 

Be sure to say if you are taking a whole or part of a tablet. 

If all are the same size dose then taking every 6 or 8 hours is best to maintain the same blood level. 

I take 0.5 in the mornings when I get up. At 11 I take 1/2 of 0.5, at 2 another 1/2 of 0.5 and around 5 another 1/2 of 0.5 then before I go to bed I take 1 whole 0.5 alprazolam.  That is how I am taking them.

But over this past weekend since I sleep an hr or 2 later I take my first at 7 or 8 am. Then I end up taking the halves closer but I picked out the smallest halves. Tuesday, yesterday is a week I've tapered so only had 1 weekend.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

So right now you are taking 3.5 pills total or 1.75 mg----- and doing it in 5 doses, 2 of whole pills and 3 of half pills. 

The moderators and admin have a lot of experience in suggesting tapering plans and times.  They have a scheme worked up for 3 times a day tapering.  Have you seen it? 

BTW - We can't give advice via pm but since you pmed the same thing as you posted, we can deal with it here. 

I cheated - I know where to find it - these are cutting the pills into 4 parts to get the right dose as you taper. 

Here is an example (provided by Lori Lee) tapering schedule for Lorazepam (Ativan). This could also be used for anyone using .50mg pills of Klonopin and Xanax. Starting at 1.50mg per day and cutting by .125mg.

.5mg am/.5mg afternoon/.5mg pm

.375mg am/.5mg afternoon/.5mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.375mg am/.375 mg afternoon/.5mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.375 mg am/.375 mg afternoon/.375mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.25mg am/.375mg afternoon/.375mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.25mg am/.25mg afternoon/.375mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.25mg am/.25mg afternoon/.25mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg am/.25mg afternoon/.25mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg am/.125mg afternoon/.25mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg am/.125mg afternoon/.125mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg afternoon/.125mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

Benzo Free!

This isn't titration but tapering and the pills are cut by 1/4 pill at each stage and the time of day for the cut rotates. 

Does something like starting this seem reasonable for the next cut? 

This would be taking 3 times a day and so the doses need to be as close to 8 hours apart as you can get handle that and not disrupt the rest of your life. 

Wow 8 hrs apart, huh? I haven't tried that yet, that is scary thought. I only go that long overnight while sleeping BUT if that is how to taper then I will do my best. I have a pill cutter, so, I need to cut 0.5 into 4 pcs correct?  Ok so I am taking 1.75 daily, that is 3 halves and 2 wholes.  At my next cut I will be taking three 0.5 mgs. So do I space those 3 out in a day. But then how does the 4 cuts of the tab come into play. Gosh I must sound really stupid to you, so sorry. 

The 4 pieces won't enter into the next step as it will be a whole pill 3 times a day. 

But then you will make the next cut and that will be 3/4 of a pill in the morning, whole pill afternoon, and whole pill at night according to this plan. 

You can keep all the parts and can use them later on or even a day or two later as part of a dose. 

Many get a pill splitter or use a razor blade to cut the pills.  If you cut in the same saucer, clean ash tray or bowl always with a razor blade you can make sure you don't lose any parts. 

the plan is a very slow taper - make a cut of 1/4 of a pill every 1 or 2 weeks

you just did a cut of 1/2 of a tablet 

when were you planning on making the next cut and what were you planing for the cut? 

As for when, I was considering a month, waiting til I was comfortable. My brain is racking over how to make the next cut. I am not certain just yet.

It looks like you are thinking crossover to Valium. 

Let us know what you want to do and we can help structure a plan. 

Yes Annie, I see my dr. April 22.  I am going to speak with him about it. I feel certain he will go along with it.  I feel this might be the way to go for me.  Of course I know my dr. is going to do the same as always and try and convince me of an antidepressant, he has done this for many yrs and i have always refused. Yes please help me with this. I must say I'm scared too. Thank you so much, so very much!

Hi LittleBit,

Thinking of you and wondering how are you doing with your taper? Hope you're feeling well.

Best to you.

aloha

Hi Littlebit,

Nice to meet you. Waiting a month between cuts seems a little long IMO. But you know what is best. Annie gave you a good line to follow, but anything you want, can pretty much be worked out. try not to strees to much over the cuts and amount. We're here to help with the math. You gonna do great ! We'll be here for you. Kel

Why is a month too long?  Please tell me. I'm OPEN as I have no idea re: any of this. I thought because I have been taking xanax for so MANY yrs that it might be best. Also I am so sensitive to drugs. I don't know if it is because of my size, I am 5' 4" and weigh 109. I would like to mention something, on weekends I do sleep an hr or 2 later, for example this morning I got up around 8 and took my 0.5. The thing is when I get up later it puts my dosaging closer, for example on weekdays/work days, I get up at 6 and take it at 6 - 6:30, then I take it at 11, 2 and 5 and bedtime.  Now like today, I took it at 8 this morning and I feel I could hold on til 1 but then 3 is only 2 hrs after that, etc.  What to do? I'm really confused. Tuesday will be my 2nd week on my first taper of 0.25. 

We generally recommend waiting 7-14 days between cuts. Some cuts may be rougher than others so if you need to hold a few more days more than 14 a few times that's okay.

Oh I see, ok.  I haven't noticed any difference with the 0.25 cut I took with my first taper except "mentally" b/c I was already having the anxiety all along. Its like no change so I suppose I could go for another 0.25 if I choose.

Oh I see, ok.  I haven't noticed any difference with the 0.25 cut I took with my first taper except "mentally" b/c I was already having the anxiety all along. Its like no change so I suppose I could go for another 0.25 if I choose.

As I have said, it is recommended to keep cuts at about 10% off your total daily dose. Some can manage more, some have to do less. Our best advice is to "Let your body be your guide".  :thumbsup:

But I don't know how to do those cuts, 10% of my 1.75 is like 0.175 and I have no idea how much that would be. I just don't get these decimal figures.

But I don't know how to do those cuts, 10% of my 1.75 is like 0.175 and I have no idea how much that would be. I just don't get these decimal figures.

It is approximately 10%. It would be impossible to cut .175 so you can go up to .25mg or go down to .125mg.  :thumbsup: Cutting .25mg would be a 14% cut, cutting .125mg would be a 7%.

ok, .125 is where those little pieces come in. So 1/2 of .25 is 1/4 or .125. For example I take 3 halves at this point and 1 of those whichever 1 I should choose I would half that 1 so that I would be taking 0.5 in the morn, .25 at 11, .125 at 2, .25 at 5 and then my 0.5 at bedtime, would this be correct?  Theresa2, thank you for your patience!

You can either cut one of those small dose in half, or you can cut the morning or night dose by 1/4 instead. 

Your cut would be to take 3 1/4 pills total a day instead of 3 1/2 pills you are taking now.   

You can figure out how to plan that.  Get out 13 coins (or dry beans or buttons - just some counter is all) .  Each counter will represent 1/4 of a pill.  Get out some paper and put down times on the paper.  Then stack the counters on the times until you get something you feel you can do.  Once you have it write it down and that will be your plan until the next cut. 

Thanks Annie! I'm confused on the counter method you are describing but I understand cutting the morn or night dose by 1/4. Thanks so much.

I was just trying to give you a way to figure out how to plan the cut is all using something you have available. 

If you were to look at your current dose, you are using 14 counters. 

taking 1 whole in the morning, 1/2 pill at 11 and 2 and 5 and another whole at bedtime.

You take them as follows:  - remember one counter is 1/4 of a pill. 

4 counter's worth in morning

2 counter's worth at 11

2 counter's worth at 2

2 counter's worth at 5

4 counter's worth at bedtime. 

Your next step is to use 13 counters.  Does this help?