Has anyone tried pitching a benzo story to a national media outlet?

[Ne...]

I was thinking of writing to a few editors of some magazines like the Atlantic Monthly to see about what they have to say about the dangers of benzos. I say magazines like Atlantic Monthly, because I don't think large news affiliates would even give it a thought. Melissa Bond, from Mad in America, was supposed to do (and did) some interview with ABC but I never saw anything about that actually being aired for broadcast. I remember reading on MIA that the story was "postponed" but looking for it again and never finding anything about it.

So I don't think a large, mainstream outlet is the way to go. That's a waste of breath. But what about some monthly publication (like the Atlantic, which tends on the side of little more journalistic integrity as far as I can tell) that's not television related? I could give them sources like the Ashton Manual (with a brief explanation of what it is), forward some of the Oregon articles, an article from Massachusetts, Elizabeth Kenny's TEDMED talk, and even show them Benzobuddies (if that's allowed here).  I really just think this information needs to be spread. I'd like to come up with a well thought out letter to an editor or two, or three, or four, before I taper and need to focus on myself more.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I like your attitude, Peace! My only "problem" is that my story may not be very representative of the community. I say this because I didn't even take them for very long before I got dependent. Less than three weeks! Then I tried to "CT" which was really a rapid-ish taper, which by many people's accounts (even here) should have given me little to no trouble, but I got totally freaked so I reinstated to a much lowe dose, which threw me into a haywire tolerance type situation, wherein I lost 20 lbs and then I crossed to V. I promptly gained all the weight back and stabilized as soon as I was able to accumulate diazepam in my body but now have not tapered yet.

I think it would be great to get someone like Melissa Bond, who went into tolerance and has tapered, or someone who has cold turkeyed and had a really bad withdrawal and is either still in the process of recover or has completely recovered (not sure which would be more credible). I see problems with both types of people. For the person who has recovered, it's hard for people to see the true horror of psych meds and withdrawal (although Elizabeth Kenny has a one woman show on how antidepressants, klonopin, and anti psychotics messed her up and she is now recovered - this may be the best of both worlds because she is able to perform and really communicate the horror she experienced).  But, for the person who has not recovered, a.) that person needs to focus on their healing, and b.) may be labeled as "crazy" or someone who "needs" the meds.

I have a lot of hope in Melissa Bond. She's currently working on a book called Dear Little Fish. It's about many things, including her trip with Benzos. If she gets the book published, I'm sure there will be press.

Also, your story is the story of benzos and addiction. I also ran into big trouble after about three weeks of use, as prescribed by a doctor. i also went through a supervised rapid taper and went absolutely crazy. One psych nurse told me it was withdrawal and to stay off meds, but the doctor involved threw me on klonopin and was no help in getting off. Luckily,  found a different doctor who believed the whole ordeal and got me off the meds. It's a story that takes many forms and that's part of the story.

Bless you and I hope you feel better soon!

Peace2

Hi,

Here are a few thoughts: If you're pitching a story, you should be very clear about what you're pitching. Is it about you? Is it about someone else? Is it about the over-prescription of benzos in the US only? Or globally? Is it about the costs to individuals and the health care system and society? Be specific and detailed.

I'd be using some of the scientific articles to back it up, including last weeks editorial in the JAMA Psychiatry issue (Dec. 17/14). There's the British National Formulary update document (Nov. 2013) as well, which gives a figure of 6-18 months for withdrawal symptoms (give or take) after the last dose of benzodiazepines. I've posted it in this section. There's also the Dr. Malcolm Lader article -- "Benzodiazepines Revisited: Will We Ever Learn?" from 2011, with its multitude of research studies to back up all points made about long and short-term effects on brain and behaviour, etc. There's the Karolinska Institute tapering study that followed people for one year after the last dose and found four patterns, with some people not healed at the one-year-off mark. Also, the recent study about the connection between benzos and Alzheimers just came out a few months ago and was published widely. There's really a lot of literature out there now but it depends on the type of publication you're pitching to and what kind of stories they write.

If someone's willing to tell his/her individual story, he/she would really have to be up for that kind of exposure.

Anyway, just a few ideas! Good luck!

Thank you both! I think the pitch would be the benzo crisis of dependency and withdrawal in the world, with a strong focus on the U.S. It would not be my story.  I have to look into these sources. None of them are linked to Scientology, are they? I also must investigate  any parent or subsidiary of any media outlet to make sure it's even worth the pitch. If no national publication is a good fit, I'll settle for maybe a local piece.

Are there any investigative journalism shows or writers that might be interested? It would be great to see an American piece that digs into what's really going on. 60 Minutes did that Antidepressant/Placebo piece, so I wonder if they'd be willing. I'm not in the US and don't know your media, but what about NPR? But of course, a good print piece would be amazing. I hope it happens! Go for it!

Just responding to your question regarding any links the articles I mentioned have to Scientology....none that I'm aware of. When I look for info, I'm checking sources as much as I can. I've posted medical journal articles and (reputable) newspaper articles in the News section, and to my knowledge, they're solid.

By the way, there's also a Harvard paper from 1997 about the ethical and legal issues around benzodiazepine prescription that might also be useful as source material.

Those UK newspapers I mentioned show an investigative angle to the issues in that country. I'd like to see more of that in the media on this side of the pond. As public health issues, they should be out there.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm glad you tried, even if they weren't biting this time. You never know. Sometimes a confluence of factors makes a story relevant and essential, and you may have planted a few seeds.

Hi NG - go for it.....and if you need a hand let me know. I would be willing to research for you in my spare time (which is plenty at the moment). I agree with Lapis about being clear in your pitch. The bare bones, IMO, is not to have benzo's banned as its just not realistic. But responsible prescribing, informed consent of withdrawal risk, physician education, etc.

Hell....you and I live close enough to each other....lets do a documentary and blast it all over FB and Utube until someone listens.  :smitten:

Looking at the Atlantic I got discouraged because their parent group holds corporately sponsored "salons" wherein the corporate interests get to "debate topics" and pay the media group. Doesn't sound too promising. Maybe I will look up who owns mother jones as they are more alternative. A documentary sounds good too, Kiddo! I agree it can't be about banning the drugs because then tapers would fly out the window and that's no good!!! The general public just needs to know more.

Period.

What about a more investigative piece? Is there a publication or program (radio/TV) that might consider the following sample questions? These are a few that come to mind for me. I'm sure there are many others.

1. Why, despite much evidence to the contrary, do doctors continue to prescribe benzodiazepines for long periods of time? What are the contributing factors (social, economic, etc.)? According to most indications, benzodiazepines are meant for short-term use only, e.g. 2-4 weeks, yet many people continue to receive prescriptions for years. (Give references to studies, article about GP attitudes, Ashton Manual, British National Formulary 2013 update on benzos, etc.)

2. Why are some patients who are iatrogenically dependent on prescribed medications (benzos) unable to get the compassionate and knowledgeable care they need to taper safely and slowly off these medications? In some cases, they might be forced to "cold turkey" or taper quickly, both of which carry risks and may lengthen and/or worsen the withdrawal symptoms. What resources are available and accessible to those in need of help?

3. While exact statistics are likely unavailable, what is the size of the problem in the U.S.? There costs to society are many and include health, social and economic (e.g. quality of life, relationship strain, loss of job/income, health care costs, etc.). Can these costs be quantified?

4. How many suicides and deaths can be directly or indirectly associated with taking benzodiazepines and the withdrawal effects of coming off them? What are the contributing factors?

5. How do various countries compare in terms of dealing with the problem of long term benzodiazepine use, e.g. England, Ireland, Australia, Canada, US, other European countries, etc. -- especially in light of recent evidence connecting these medications with Alzheimer's Disease and cognitive decline? (Provide studies.)

6. Are there doctors available to speak about this issue, i.e. those who are familiar with the risks, side effects and withdrawal effects of the medications?

7. Refer to the recent JAMA Psychiatry editorial (Dec. 2013 -- see below) that says benzodiazepines should be controlled substances and explore the idea further. See other JAMA articles below on the subject of reducing benzo use.

http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2019953

http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2019955

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1860498

8. Under what circumstances are benzodiazepines appropriate? What are the less risky alternatives that are available, affordable and accessible? In light of the controversial history of anxiolytics and sedatives, are there newer, safer substances that are being explored for future use?

9. What needs to change to improve outcomes and ensure that benzodiazepine use doesn't extend into the long term and become problematic? What education is needed -- for the doctor, for the patient, for the pharmacist?

10. Clarify the distinction between addictive, drug-seeking behaviour and iatrogenic, physiological dependence, since the two are often mistakenly lumped together. The confusion may affect treatments and outcomes, and inappropriately ascribe blame to one party or another.

11. How can benzodiazepine withdrawal and tolerance symptoms be better recognized, diagnosed and treated?