Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Been off benzos since jan. if I took 1-2 ambien would it cause problems?

[he...]

So the title says it all.  Been clean off a year long benzo habit.  I was on klonopin (prescribed) as well as whatever extra benzo "support" I got off the streets.  I.e. Xanax, Valium, and more klonopin.  I quit cold turkey in January and haven't had withdrawal symptoms since I'd say April or may.  I've taken somas and baclofen since with no adverse effects. 

So right now I'm housesitting and watching dogs for this older lady with my girlfriend and I came across some ambien 12.5 mg.  it's not the "cr" or whatever it's the regular zoldpidem.  I was thinking of just taking one or two one of the nights I'm here.  I'm here for another week.  So my question is if I take just one or two would it cause any adverse effects?  I know somas and baclofen effect the same receptors but I don't know how strongly, and I don't know how strongly ambien does either.  I'm just wondering if I took a few just to get a good nights sleep would it cause any bad side effects?  And note, she only has a enough to where I could only take two TOPS and get away with it, and this is a ONE TIME THING.  I have no other access to ambien or any other z-drugs or benzos so it's not like in going to go on a binge (have had that said to me when asking about taking a one time only rophynl once that I didn't even end up taking).  I have no intention of getting "high" or hallucinating on this stuff either, I've just been going through a lot of hard times recently and have been too stressed to sleep.  No I don't have withdrawals or anything or need a constant sleeping pill, because once I am relaxed enough to lay down, I'll be out for 12+ hours lol.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

HF

[73...]
The Ashton Manual days taking the odd one occasion such as a surgery is fine. But what you're asking us is basically if you can steal someone else's prescribed medication. :( That's just wrong.

[85...]

It's hard to say, as everyone is different.  I was staying with a friend who uses that medication and took one because I couldn't sleep and slept great and I had no problems. I think it's a bad idea to take medication that belongs to someone else, especially if they have entrusted their home to you.  You just don't know if she will know or not, some people monitor stuff like that.

@orion

For sure, the bottle is from a year ago, and only one out of the whole prescription has been taken, with 3 more refills, so I'm not really worried about it.  If you're not willing to tell me if I'd have withdrawals because of that, then you sir, are the most petty person I know.  Your opinion of whether it's the moral thing to do isn't going to change my decision to take the pills lol, so you can either give me your opinion on the question I asked, or you can just stop commenting.  I didn't come here for this petty BS honestly.  I've been going through the hardest time in my life, and constantly think about death, or the thought of never existing, and I just want to be able to relax.  I haven't enjoyed a day in over a year, so your morals mean nothing to me right now.  I just want to know if it's going to make things worse if I take a few and relax once or if it's just gonna make me relax, and make the the hell I'm already living in worse

@jc215

With what I'm going through, I'm willing to deal with the consequences and just tell the lady I couldn't sleep and was looking for some NyQuil or melatonin and found that and took it.  I can talk my way out of it.  I'm not concerned about that.

[73...]

If you weren't worried about the morals of the situation, you wouldn't have bothered including it in your post. You're asking people, who are not doctors, if its OK to take a medication that was not prescribed to you. We really shouldn't be answering a question like this.

You do whatever it is you feel you need to do man. But if death is constantly on your mind, I would go to the hospital and get help there.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

heronflow, don't take ambien. Z-drugs are similir to benzos with same WDs. Read my signature line. Taking ambien could possibly put you back into acute WD. It happens, I know of a BB who recovered from xanax WD after 18 months, then took ambien for 4 nights and went back into acute and still suffering years later. Also know of BBs who underwent surgery, and went back into acute. Everyone is different but it is not worth the risk. I hope you make the right decision.

I personally would not take even one. Ambien is a "Z' drug, much like a benzodiazepine, and it could cause a negative effect. I would stay away from the bottle......far far away.

The risk versus the passing pleasure of one night's sleep is not worth it in my opinion. WHY would you even think of taking a z-drug? The fact that you went thru someone else's med cabinet in a poorly placed position of trust says to me you are an addict who is not DONE yet. So if that is the case and you are entertaining the idea of a little side trip, by all means take it...we'll keep you company here during your extended withdrawal period if things go awry...i wouldn't wish that on you, but apparently you would...ahem...cough...ahem...ok, I'm off the box now. Take yer best shot.    mike