2014 Study: Elderly benzodiazepine users at risk of decreased activity levels

[La...]

I feel for the elderly being given these drugs. More often than not, they're on multiple drugs besides benzos, including blood pressure drugs, which also decrease muscle function and energy. My mother's generation seemed very accepting of what doctors said and didn't question the pills they were given. At least that's the impression I get. Along with the added drugs come limited abilities to process the drugs due to age. It's a vicious cycle.

I so agree, Terry. I find it heartbreaking to think of seniors who might be falling and fracturing bones as a result of taking these meds. They're the last ones who can handle such effects. I'm so dizzy, and I've had many near-falls, and I can't even imagine being 10 years older and resisting the push-pull-disequilibrium caused by benzos.

It's one of my greatest hopes now that there will be more prevention in the very near future so that we're not reading more and more studies about people whose lives have been shortened or worsened by benzodiazepines.