Australian - Accidental Addicts

[au...]

There is much action and discussion about prescription drug epidemic in Australia.  Here is a discussion with some of our leading Drs, a Judge, people who have become victim, a woman who is tapering Xanax (6 years).  Awareness and change will be heightened in 2015.

This piece goes for around an hour, it is worth watching if you can.

There is much action and discussion about prescription drug epidemic in Australia.  Here is a discussion with some of our leading Drs, a Judge, people who have become victim, a woman who is tapering Xanax (6 years).  Awareness and change will be heightened in 2015.

interesting aussiegal, thank you.....i wish they mentioned how people suffer getting off

those drugs, sxs, mistakes GPs and detox places make when getting patients off the drug

and so on........but its a good start....... supervision ! :)

I came across this video awhile ago and was glad to see the open discussion between doctors and patients. Thanks for posting it here, Aussiegal.

[6d...]
Thank you for posting this - I just watched it. I was so impressed with the open and respectful dialogue - why can't we have something like this in the US? Our news sources and debates are just as corrupted as everything else... how refreshing to see an honest discussion free from industrial, monetary and political bias.

interesting aussiegal, thank you.....i wish they mentioned how people suffer getting off

those drugs, sxs, mistakes GPs and detox places make when getting patients off the drug

Agreed, Morr.

To me, this discussion seriously missed the mark.  I was struck by the way the term "addict" was being thrown around.  It really, really bothered me!  Unless I'm the one who missed something, it seemed to completely miss the point that one becomes physiologically addicted and against our will.  It seemed to me that the focus was on the addictive personality, kick started by these prescription drugs.

Don't know, but that discussion did not sit well with me at all!

Agreed, Morr.

To me, this discussion seriously missed the mark. I was struck by the way the term "addict" was being

thrown around.  It really, really bothered me!  Unless I'm the one who missed something, it seemed to

completely miss the point that one becomes physiologically addicted and against our will.  It seemed to me that the focus was on the addictive personality, kick started by these prescription drugs.

Don't know, but that discussion did not sit well with me at all!

agreed abc, the mark was missing for sure, didn't cover enough the real problem.

Personally, I think the word "iatrogenic" needs to be applied where it's appropriate. If someone is engaging in drug-seeking behaviour, escalating doses, taking more than what is necessary despite knowing that it's dangerous to do so, etc., then I believe that's where "addiction" might be properly applied. But in cases where the medication is prescribed by a doctor, and the person takes it "as prescribed", and there are negative physiological changes and/or illnesses that occur as result of that appropriate use of the medication, then I believe "iatrogenic" is the right word.

Perhaps "accidental" is being used to counter-balance the negative connotation of the word "addict" in the Australian example. A similar word is used in the UK -- for instance, in APPGITA, the "All Party Policy Group for Involuntary Tranquiliser Addiction". Here, "involuntary" is being used in the same way as "accidental" in Australia. I'd like to see "iatrogenic" used where it's appropriate.

Here's the Medicinet definition:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=3886

"Definition of Iatrogenic:

"Iatrogenic: Due to the activity of a physician or therapy. For example, an iatrogenic illness is an illness that is caused by a medication or physician."

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked this program, it was balanced and easy to understand so I watched it with my husband :thumbsup: He got a lot from it too. Thanks for posting it, we need more of this.

Moya x