Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Hello

[Ja...]

Hello,

My name is James. I'm 28 years old and I live in Oregon. I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and depression and I've been on benzos for a few years now. I am a few weeks in to a 6 month taper and found this board. Looking for some support and maybe to help offer support to others.

I am currently taking .5 mg of Clonazepam twice a day.

I am also taking .125 mg (half of a .25 mg tablet) of Xanax 3 times per day.

I am withdrawing off of both medications. I am currently 3 weeks in to a 6 month taper. I am using a Gemini scale to cut pills. I am reducing my dose by a small amount every 2 weeks and am keeping track of my dosage reductions via an Excel spreadsheet.

The withdrawal symptoms are hell on earth..but I am committed to getting off of these meds.

Hi James420  :) Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am so happy you found us.  Congratulations on your taper so far. I know firsthand how difficult withdrawal can be. Did you begin your taper six months ago, or three weeks?

You might like to check out The Ashton Manual it is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms.

Please feel free to post to any of the dedicated boards, we have a wonderful community of people here, who will give sound advice. Members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal and are more than willing to share their experiences.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again Welcome!  :smitten:

benzos-R-cruel

Thanks benzos-r-cruel!

I started tapering off of my medication 3 weeks ago. The plan I laid out with my doctor will take 6 months to complete.

I will definitely check out that manual and some of the boards. Thank you! :)

What kind of doctor is helping you? In Montana they seem to think benzos are safe little sleeping/nausea/pain pills. I was made an involuntary lorazepam addict during breast cancer treatment.  Oncologists don't even understand addiction. So glad you found someone to help you with the taper.

I agree also on what lucky you are after finding a good doctor! That is a very good start! You are going to find many supportive BBs in here. I hope you feel better soon.

:)

My doctor is the same one who prescribed me benzos in the first place...I was suffering from extremely debilitating anxiety at the time and I don't think she knew what else to do.

I'm very mad at her for prescribing the medication long term as I had no idea what I was getting into at the time. I didn't realize that Benzodiazepines were this bad.

I actually came up with the idea and the dosage reduction plan myself. I booked an appointment with her and explained my intentions to withdraw from the medication and my plan on how to do it. It's mainly so that I'm withdrawing 'under medical supervision' and I can call her or schedule checkups with her as needed. She has been supportive of it and she's been a good doctor in other regards (has been my family doctor for 13 years).

*sigh*

Oh well..I'm on the road to recovery, even if it is a long one

Thank you all for the welcome. I knew I wasn't the only one out there suffering through this but it's nice to be able to talk to other people who are experiencing it.

James, I can assure you that most of us in here are very mad at our doctors that prescribed us benzos. I personally hate me ex psychiatric dr.

We say you are lucky because it has not been easy for many of us to try to convince our news doctors to help us in our tapering. My new Dr for example wanted me to taper quickly and has prescribed lots of crazy meds I never will take. I check in this forum for this meds or ask About their effect in here or I googled them. Now I do not trust any doctor as I used to trust on them before.

I am glad that your family doctor is helping you, this is wonderful!

In my case It is stressing to see mine because I have to lie to him saying that I am not taking his new prescribed med every day...while in fact never buy it in the drug store...or Sometimes he seems a bit upset because I am not decreasing faster my dose...by he is very supportive anyway, listen to me and he takes into account many of my opinions.

:)

I tried seeing a psychologist a couple times recently. The first time I left her a very brief 6 page booklet on the risk of benzos. She didn't even have time to read it in a week. I don't have the energy to educate her about benzos when she has no time for me. Except the expensive office time. Nor did she watch my withdrawal video on youtube. Show it to your doctor if you want. Might help the doctor understand the realities of benzo withdrawal. Just search lorazepam withdrawal on youtube and you will find it. I am trying to share the info.

Hi James! I was given clonazepam to treat bad anxiety and major depression as well. It really didn't help... Only for a little while. I really hope your taper plan goes well. It's good you went for a taper and found this board, a lot of people go off the drugs without knowing about tapering and then come here. Doctors certainly don't help avoid that...